Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vertically challenged girlfriend

Chuck Weaver

R100 Mystic

The 1995 R100 Mystic has the lowest seat of any unmodified BMW. It is a great running bike with good mileage and good saddlebags for storage.
    Last edited by cweaver61; 09-10-2010 at 12:03 AM.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    The new F800 R has a very low seat also.

Firefighter Randy

Smile Low saddle height

Thanks for all the ideas. My girlfriend has an'85 700cc Virago. It has been
    modified to allow short inseams. She has a 24" inseam and stands4'8". Not easy
    to find a BMW for her. My R1200CLC is too heavy and too high. We will be looking
    at the F650GS twin or F800s.

Boots

R1200R Lowered

Rode R1100RL for 10+ years. Found a 2 inch addition to my boots worked great. Now ride a 2008 R1200R. I ordered Hyper Pro Shocks built to my inseam and to the bike.
    This lowered the bike 2 inches (Maximum it could be lowered.) If I stretch, I am 5' 1/2" with short inseam. With the 2 inch lift on my boots, I am comfortable.
    If you lower the bike with shorter shocks, you will have to shorten side stand and center stand as well. But I have over 10K since doing this and love it.
    I started on R65 in 1992 which I took foam out of the seat. Then I rode an R90/6. Then 1998 I got the R1100RL. If you find one of these, get the shorter shocks for it and it will work too. I still have the short shocks I had made for it.
    Boots
    2008 R1200R
    1998 R1100R - 1975 R75/6
    1984 R65-1976 R90/6

Thumbs up Lowered F650GS

I have been riding a Honda Shadow Sabre with a mustang seat which puts the seat at 28". I just recently purchased the factory lowered F650GS with a stock seat. I am completely flat footed. I stand 5'1" with a 28" innerseam. It's a great bike. I don't know if another seat would lower it even more but I would recommend this bike to any woman. It is light and certainly has the kick you need to pass anyone!

It's nice that BMW finally figured out how to offer a lower suspension option on most of their newer bikes and for only $250! I just bought an '08 F800ST with a low suspension but it still has a stock seat for better butt cushion and it fits me to a T.

I am about 5' 3" with a 29" or so inseam. But for what it's worth, I have been doing some yoga and regular stretching along with my workouts for the past year and I swear I can touch the ground on bikes I wouldn't even have ever thought of sitting on. At the Int'l Motorcycle show I sat on a Vstrom 650 stock, no problem. The new Honda CBR250, no problem. And I think all these seats are over 30 inches.

So get out there and do some downward dogs before you get on that bike! It just may help, not to mention you'll feel better too!
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Get longer legs this way too

I added quite a bit of stuff into the inside of my boots in the heel area: I have in there a blue microfibre cloth folded up (handy to have anyway), some foam wedges from Dr. Scholls, my old Honda Civic's brake pad covers which fit perfectly, and an old set of orthothotics and I grew 2.5 inches. All you have to watch is that the boot has a sizable heel to arch height and that you don't have really high arches. No one knows I am not that tall until I take off my boots! My boots are Forma Adventure GT's.

Cheers,
    Sue

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by RNowell View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas. My girlfriend has an'85 700cc Virago. It has been
    modified to allow short inseams. She has a 24" inseam and stands4'8". Not easy
    to find a BMW for her. My R1200CLC is too heavy and too high. We will be looking
    at the F650GS twin or F800s.
    Try the new factory lowered F650GS. (twin)

Jack

kiki
    [QUtiniourOTE=brewmeister;681645]Is that like the small pillow I place under my t-shirt to make it look like i'm livin the good life when i'm really in good shape?[/QUOTE]

subcutaneous tissue doesn't count.
    kelly

...don't sell the F650s short...pffog
    +1

After riding bigger machines for many years, I have been touring on 650s the last two summers: a BMW Paris Dakar, and a Kawasaki Versys.

JMO, but a 650 is perfectly suitable for solo sport touring. These bikes handled high Rocky Mountain passes with ease, and are happy at almost any speed.

The Versys is brilliant, and the ER-6n version has a 29.7" saddle. The bike can be lowered another inch with aftermarket stuff. The F650 is good, but the Kaw is a lot smoother.
    Last edited by rinty; 05-22-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."