Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vertically challenged girlfriend

Vertically challenged girlfriend

Hello all, I have a vertically challenged girlfriend (5'0") who wants to ride a sport tourer BMW. She LOVES the RT's AND RS's but unfortunatly cant touch the ground, even with 1.5" heeled boots! Are there any solutions the this as far as lowering the bike, The Ideal seat height would be around 26" but I have no idea if this is possible/ practical. I would really like to see her dream become a reality! Right now she's on a honda rebel and is wanting to step up to a bigger bike thats NOT a cruiser style bike.

Try this link. It's on page two of the women's forum.
    The thread was closed, but you can still get some good info from it.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41175
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

That's a tough one. I purchased a low seat RT before they offered the lowered suspension version. I also lowered the bike one inch when I upgraded to aftermarket shocks. She might also consider an F800ST or the naked R- bike and add a hannigan fairing. Good luck.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

I too suggest she consider the lowered version of the R12R. Add a Hannigan fairing or a Parabellum Scout fairing as my wife did and you have a great bike.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

vertically challenged

Susan rode a very modified RT for 5 years. Lowered shocks, shaved seat. The thing was low. Even low, it was still heavy and was hard for her to push around without power. She has tried out the factory lowered F800ST and really likes it a lot. There are a few folks that mounted GIVI bags on it instead of the stockers, replaced the windshield, and did a bit of work on the bars to make a great, lightweight sport tourer.

Quote Originally Posted by jver1200rt View Post
    Hello all, I have a vertically challenged girlfriend (5'0") who wants to ride a sport tourer BMW. She LOVES the RT's AND RS's but unfortunatly cant touch the ground, even with 1.5" heeled boots! Are there any solutions the this as far as lowering the bike, The Ideal seat height would be around 26" but I have no idea if this is possible/ practical. I would really like to see her dream become a reality! Right now she's on a honda rebel and is wanting to step up to a bigger bike thats NOT a cruiser style bike.

I am 4' 11" with a 26" inseam and my dream bike was to have my own Beemer. I ride a factory lowered F650 GS. It may not be the RT or RS that she is looking for but the F650 GS is an all around fun bike to ride. I wouldn't ask for a much better bike. Of course, BMW is now making other models that come factory lowered too that she may also want to consider.

Lightbulb Height ...

Hello,

I am 5 feet 1 inch tall with a 25 inch inseam. My vintage Frye
    boots have a standard 1 inch heel which I prefer to wear. The
    Fluevogs I am wearing in the avatar photo have 1/2 inch heel.

I have a 1995 R100R Classic which had a 29.5 inch seat meaning
    one foot on the ground only. Ever. Rain or shine.

The Ohlin shock changed my life - the seat is now 26 inches ... I
    actually do notice a difference ... hope this helps !

The newer R1200R and GS models are available with the lowered
    seat option as I understand it ...

Regards,

Lynn

Thanks for sharing that, Lynn.

Exactly what someone need to hear

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

I, too, am vertically challenged with a 27" inseam. My second bike was a F650CS which I lowered by the use of Kouba links. When the R1200ST came out I fell in love with the bike. I had 2" soles put on my BMW boots so that I could touch the ground, but after 38,000 miles in three years on the bike I decided that I either needed to change the suspension or get a different bike. I've had my F650GS twin for 14 months and have 22,000 Smiles on it. I've ridden it on many solo trips (something I would never have done on the bigger bike) including doing a SaddleSore 1000 on the way to Redmond. I added a Cee Bailey windshield, changed the stock seat and put on bar backs and find the bike to be very comfortable. I would encourage your girlfriend to test ride one.
    Ellen
    2009 F650GS Twin- loving it!
    IBA Premier member #44055

Way to go EllenR, on your SS1K. And welcome to the Women of the MOA sub-forum. Stop by often.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

Thank you, Karen. I've been a lurker for a while. We met in Redmond...I sat next to you at the Women Who Ride Seminar and marveled at your solo Alaska travels
    Ellen
    2009 F650GS Twin- loving it!
    IBA Premier member #44055

Quote Originally Posted by EllenR View Post
    Thank you, Karen. I've been a lurker for a while. We met in Redmond...I sat next to you at the Women Who Ride Seminar and marveled at your solo Alaska travels
    Not to hijack, but thanks for the kudos EllenR. Voni sure knows how to put on a seminar, doesn't she.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT

BACKROAD.ADV
    Quote Originally Posted by jver1200rt View Post

A non cruiser and seat height less than 30 inches-that will be challenging. The BMW 650 single lowered might be an option. Older BMW Cruiser 1200C or CL might be an option but its a cruiser......

Because of seat height issues I ride a 650 single and a Yamaha TW200 with a custom seat and I too don't like cruisers but I'm going to go for a R1200C or CL next year because I would like a bigger bike but not a higher seat. Not much else on the market. I have even looked at a 500cc Piagio (three wheels).

OK!!!! Another options finding a used RTP.

I know that the RTPs had the greatest amount of adjustment in seat height range since these bikes were used by the police. I looked into this at one time and I was planning on buying a R1200RTP---- but now BMW no longer makes them available for private purchase or so says my local dealer.

You might want to check this out but I think the bottom end of the seat height for an RTP was 28 inches if my memory serves me, then with lowering of suspension and shoe lifts this might work.

Just a thought.

Good LucK

Backroad ADV

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Like others said, don't sell the F650's short, both the twin and the single make great sport touring mounts.

The F800's also are a great bike, if the "GS" look is not appealing

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    I'm not vertically challenged, 5'9" but when I ride my R1150RT I am challenged when moving it around in gravel or on an incline. I recently purchased a 1200C and it is a dream to ride. It might be fun for your girlfriend to try one out and see how it feels. It is a cruiser but sitting on it feels much more comfortable than sitting on my Honda Shadow which is also a cruiser. I sit up straighter on the C and find it doesn't make my back hurt like the Shadow did.
    00 R1200C (blue)