Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: registration/ insurance card

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    Some of you guys are too trusting keeping your paperwork with the bike.

If a theif decides he wants your bike all the papers are there to sign and change over the ownership!

I keep mine in my wallet!

imho
    Depends on the state. You can't transfer ownership with an insurance card, nor with a registration receipt, in most states - it takes the official title which in my case resides in a locked firesafe box hidden under a large rock in the Chihuahuan desert not far from my home.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

XTrooper

If a theif decides he wants your bike all the papers are there to sign and change over the ownership!

I keep mine in my wallet!

imho
    Huh? You need the vehicle title to change ownership. Even states that still don't require titles (are there any left in this day and age?), you would need the vehicle's Certificate of Origin to do a transfer. Besides this small detail, any clerk with a brain larger than a walnut will ask for at least one form of photo ID before doing a title transfer.

I don't think anyone mentioned ownership papers. Or are ownership papers and registration the same thing in Ontario? What if a bank or credit union owns the bike?

My registration and insurance card are on the bike. My ownership papers, AKA the title, are at home in a folder. It won't be looked at until it is time to sell the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I don't think anyone mentioned ownership papers. Or are ownership papers and registration the same thing in Ontario? What if a bank or credit union owns the bike?

My registration and insurance card are on the bike. My ownership papers, AKA the title, are at home in a folder. It won't be looked at until it is time to sell the bike.
    In Ontario the registered title and ownership are the same thing. If there is a lein on the vehicle then you have to make sure that they are paid off before you change over ownership.
    When on the road you have to have the ownership with you anda valid sticker on the licence plate.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)