Thread: Shipping of my motorcycle

Shipping of my motorcycle

I need help. I am moving to Germany and I am searching if it is better to sell my 2002 BMW R1150RT and buy a new one there or to have it ship to Germany. I surfed the internet and found several company offering uncrated shipping service. They are the less expensive but it would still cost me around $2K.
    Anybody had good or bad experience with shipping bike ??
    Can you share your experience or comment and help me decide What I should do !!!!!

Thanks

Denis
    Denis

Air Forward seems to get good reviews from folks I know that have used them.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Blocking the slow lane
    Dave, I think they are called "Forward Air." Air Forward is a Nike basketball shoe.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Uh, yeah. Listen to the Diaper Dude. He knows.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

You want to ship a one year old German bike to Germany? I think you would be well advised to have a contact in Germany tell you what the same model/year bike will be cost to buy over there, or even a NEW one. You will find that selling yours here and buying one there will save you not only the shipping cost, but the cost of homologation. You will be required to change reflectors and stickers and lights and speedo and an assortment of other parts before it will be legally licensed in Germany. This is expensive and time consuming. It is EXREMELY difficult if you don't speak fluent German. When you're ready to come home... sell the bike in Germany and buy a bike in the USA. It is LOTS easier than dealing with the bureaucracy.

I did the reasearch going and coming. I moved to France in 1997. I sold my bikes in the USA before I did. Then, I sold my F650 in France and bought one in the USA in 1999/2000.