Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Single Person Tent?

criminaldesign

Single Person Tent?

Any recommendations that will not break the bank?

$150 bux breaks my bank for a tent even that price makes me cough.

Nothing special, a shelter that will keep me dry.

Thanks, h

Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    Any recommendations that will not break the bank?

$150 bux breaks my bank for a tent even that price makes me cough.

Nothing special, a shelter that will keep me dry.

Thanks, h
    I would look for some used gear..

Tent

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem..._id=2000001974

Go to Colman site Sundome 3 $59.99. Works for me. Nothin fancy but funtional and Sundome 2 is a little smaller and a little cheeper.

Lots of tents there for under $150.
    R and R

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    personally, I would go for a two person tent..... just in case eh? On the more serious side though, the ability to withstand very strong winds is comforting as well as keeping dry. A good ground sheet is valuable. But, just in case water seeps in, a somewhat inexpensive air mattress is handy. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

I would recomend a two person tent so you have room for your gear. I got mine at Target for about $ 40.00 two years ago. still in great shape...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Baby diapers:)

These make real good water intrusion soaker uppers in your tent. The real old fashioned diapers are great and make nice rags too for the bike. They soak up a LOT of water! A great tip for any tenter.... Randy

Same deal here

I have been looking here but have not got to the store yet.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...0000_325001000
    "Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too."

Depends how satisfied you want to be, you can get a wal mart special for $30 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-Sta...r-Tent/8136423.

I checked into some and ended up spending about 120 on a kelty 2 person. The cheaper tents are probably not waterproof to a comfortable rating (for me that is), and must be seam sealed from the get go. The other consideration is the size of the netting, a friend explained that the $30 tents do not have netting that keeps the no-see-uns out (little flying insects that eat you alive at night).

H-

Bass Pro is just up the street about nine miles........Springfield is the home of BP. They also have a seperate "catalog returns" store next to the main one with reduced prices.

But before we go, lets look through my tent collection. I probably got one you could have if you think one would suit your needs - thats why I was asking if you had one when you were here! I've got about 4 tents in the garage-can't use them all. I was going to give you one, but I don't want you coming back and asking for your money back!
    If you want a single, there are also some good buys on flea-bay.

IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

criminaldesign
    Thanks for the response guys.

I'm used to the $30 tents and sealing the seems but there's still condensation.

I have a 2-3 person but the thing is so bulky it makes me not want to deal with it,
    which I haven't. I've even done rides where I have the tent with me and don't use it cos I don't want to deal with it.

Ken, BP's catalog returns sounds promising. Yeah, take a look. If you have a small one that you aren't using and wouldn't mind parting with let me know.

Dry is important and it's miserable anymore. Oh no, I'm getting older.

Later, h

Amazon's a good source, too.

I picked up my Eureka Apex 2XT or whatever it is, on Amazon for considerably cheaper than I could have at one of the camping or sporting goods stores. It's fairly light, packs fairly small and works well. It's billed as a 2 person, but it just the right size for one and some gear.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

I picked up a eureks backcountry 2 at campmor for around $160. Great little tent that packs down to about 6 by 15, and fits easily in a side case. My old eureka timberline 4 worked perfectly but packed at about 26 inches long so I didn't like it for moto camping, as all I like to strap on is my waterproof duffle for clothes. I'd be happy to sell it to you if it would work on your bike.

Bob
    '04 K1200GT

Tale a look at this website. They have several brands. The prices appear to be pretty darn good too.

http://camping-tents-on-sale.com/index.php

Gander Mtn Sale

Gander Mtn has on sale this week, the Eureka Apex 2XT Backpacking tent, good tent for $129.99 Online item #419420

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    I have a 2-3 person but the thing is so bulky it makes me not want to deal with it,
    which I haven't. I've even done rides where I have the tent with me and don't use it cos I don't want to deal with it.
    A 2 man tent is good for one man plus gear. If you're insistent upon a one man tent get a bivy sack instead. Or take a tarp. Here's instructions for making a bivy sack out of tyvec. http://www.instructables.com/id/Tyve...CampingHiking/

Don't think you can get cheaper than that.