Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Would love some Oregon Washington road suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by LSkrabut View Post

I myself like: great mountain or scenic drive in Utah, I normally hit a few per run.
    UT 72 from Loa to I-70.
    UT 25 around Fishlake to UT 72.
    UT 22 from Bryce to Antimony and either 62 to Junction or up to Koosharem.
    UT 31 from Huntington to Fairway.
    UT 191 from Price to Duchesne
    UT 191 from Vernal to Greenriver, WY
    UT 35 from Duchesne to Francis
    Those are some good out of the way roads to note next time I get back to Utah. I've been on 191 Vernal to Flaming Gorge numerous times and will pass through Price on my way to Aspen. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by pmdave View Post

I do suggest some sightseeing in the Capitol Reef area. The road into the park is paved for a number of miles, and you get some spectacular views of the reef itself.

Torry has facilities, including lodging, food, and fuel. If you are ready for the best southwestern food in the region, that would be Cafe Diablo, an obscure building on the south side of the highway at the west end of Torrey.

If you have an extra day, the loop from Torrey south on 12 to Boulder, Escalante, Tropic, etc. includes scenery from alpine forests to red rock canyons. Bryce Canyon is at the west end of 12. Here's a hot tip for visiting Bryce Canyon in a hurry: take the first viewpoint after the commercial strip, prior to the actual entrance. It's every bit as scenic as the other overlooks, and the hoodoos all look just about the same throughout the park.

89 north is through "cowboy" country, nice views and sweepers through canyons.

If you're heading west from here, I would suggest avoiding the Salt Lake City area insane traffic, and riding west on 50. Yes, it's lonely out there, and be sure to gas up and carry water.

pmdave
    I'm spending the night in Torrey so hopefully I'll get there early enough to try Cafe Diablo. That looks awesome! It's now looking like my riding buddy is bowing out so I'll be solo this trip.

I've ridden 95 Blanding to Hanksville and don't recall gas until Hanksville. I think what I'll do when I get to 191 to head west on 163 to ride Moki Dugway, I'll stay on 191 going east a few miles and take on more fuel in the town of Bluff. I've marked a Sinclair gas station as a way point on my GPS. Better safe than sorry.

I've ridden 12 going south from Torrey and got an inside scoop from a local to turn off 12 to find the Boulder Mesa restaurant for good breakfast.

I fill my Camelbak with ice and water every morning in addition to along the way so I can stay hydrated. Ice cold water at all times. I also use a Polar Wrap around my neck. This has pellets inside that cause it to stay soaked with water for hours and the airflow over it makes it cool over my carotid arteries. To finish it all off I ride on Beadrider beads to keep me comfortable.

Here's a shot from 95. I think I saw two cars the whole way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

More from 95 further along

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Or, maybe you're wondering what Capitol Reef looks like.

pmdave
    I'm seeing what blowing off the rally looks like.
    With a week off in July why in Gods name would I go someplace to sit and talk about riding?
    Yeah, I know there are day rides...
    But seriously...

Rallys need to be held in Maine in January.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Don't know if this is still in Boulder, but it was a good breakfast stop Still had my 1150RT back then. Loved that bike.

North Cascades by Milepost...

Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    With a week off in July why in Gods name would I go someplace to sit and talk about riding?
    But seriously...

I'm amazed at the naivete of riders who don't attend rallies, reasoning that they are a waste of time. But many riders who have already decided they aren't interested in rallies then start asking questions--questions that are usually answered at rallies. It's a lot like the casual rider you meet on the road who asks where you found that unique saddle or handlebar riser. You say, "I saw an ad in Owners News." The rider states emphatically, "well I don't get that magazine. I'm just not a joiner."

Rallies, especially the annual Iinternational rally, are an opportunity to rub real (as compared to electronic) elbows with fellow members, take in some educational seminars you seldom find anywhere else, see some amazing vendor displays all in one location, take a hands-on training course that might just save your life, join in some well-planned rides through scenic mountains organized by extraordinary riders (such as Ramey Stroud), learn about organizations such as the MOA Foundation (that are vital to the future of motorcycling), have some good face-to-face chats with world travelers (such as Fred Rau and Ron Ayres), and view more than a few vintage, veteran, customized, and interesting motorcycles you would otherwise rarely see or hear (say, a running R32, or a collection of sidecar outfits).

OK, on the selfish side, you might win a free riding jacket, or a pair of tires, or a tour in New Zealand, or even a complete motorcycle.

But what's MOST important is that rally participants have the opportunity to participate as volunteers, giving back something to fellow riders rather than merely sucking. And that can really change your self-image. Sign up for gate duty, or man the beer tent, or help with registration, or stay afterwards to assist with cleanup. You'll meet some very interesting people, and gain some satisfaction that you've helped make this big three-ring circus happen.

pmdave

I'm amazed at the naivete of riders who don't attend rallies...
    Me neither... I was being fatuous.
    Sorry to make you type so much...

I remember talking to you on the day after New Years about seminars etc.
    Asking if you were going to in Redmond.
    That was @ 8AM too.

So yeah... There's an interest.

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by GrafikFeat View Post
    But seriously...

I was actually admiring the image(s).
    I bit obtuse re-reading it...

The Columbia River Historic Highway (Hwy 30)between The Dalles and Mosier. Not a long stretch of highway, but oh so fine.

I just pulled in my driveway after 2 weeks out and 5,387 miles of great touring. I can't thank everyone enough here for the great information and suggestions that made for a great trip.

I'll be posting a ride report with pictures as soon I get settled and catch up with being away.

It was awesome !!!!!
    Last edited by RTRandy; 07-21-2010 at 11:07 PM.

The Moki Dugway

I just posted what is the beginning of a ride report and thought I'd post a piece about Moki Dugway which we took on the way to the Northwest.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47102