Thread: wixom fairing

workm62521

wixom fairing

My wife has a 1973 R/60, have purchased a wixom (ranger?) fairing, it came with 4 mounting brackets but I don't know where they go. Does anyone have mounting diagrams or pictures of your own bike that would help me with the installation process. Any help would be appreciated.

email pics to workman.steve@ymail.com

Thanks, Steve

James.A
    First off, the Wixom Ranger is a great fairing. Personally, I drilled out my Wixom to use the handle bar mounts from a Memphis Shades wind screen to solidify the mounting. The M. S. mounts are terrific. Another thing to consider, you can glue the tool tray gasket material to the headlight opening to cushion the fit of the Wixom fairing to the headlight. I'll try to post pictures ASAP.

mymindsok
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnsteel View Post
    First off, the Wixom Ranger is a great fairing. Personally, I drilled out my Wixom to use the handle bar mounts from a Memphis Shades wind screen to solidify the mounting. The M. S. mounts are terrific. Another thing to consider, you can glue the tool tray gasket material to the headlight opening to cushion the fit of the Wixom fairing to the headlight. I'll try to post pictures ASAP.
    If you want to post the photos of your parts, I'll tell you where they go.

I rode 200k+ behind a Ranger and it's one of the best fairing ever made. As far as using gasket stuff at the headlight opening goes, put a "wanted" ad in IBMR and see if you can locate the original piece.

Theres got to be a few of those laying around!

James.A
    No need,

When I glued that tool tray gasket material on the headlight opening, It changed everything. Pictures of the modification to follow.

workm62521

Thumbs up Fairing picture #1

Here is a picture of the inside of the fairing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wixom fairing # for /6 ?

I have a Wixom # 131 that fits a /5. Anyone know the model # for a /6 ?
    Bill

CL listing for a #141 that he says was on an R75/5:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3242758639.html

A number of /6 with Wixom fairings at the bottom of this page:

http://www.cafeboxer.com/WebScrapings/slash6.htm

Can't seem to find any catalogs or anything...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

thread jack: ON

tanker4me, are your auxiliary gauge "pods" VDO? If so, are they new or old (30+ years)?

thread jack: OFF
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Pods ?

They are Moto Meter. Clock and volt meter, and I believe an original option installed in 76.

FWIW In the olden days It was thought by some that the use of a handlebar mounted fairing particularly on a short wheelbase BMW put one at increased risk for having a "tank slapper" .

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    FWIW In the olden days It was thought by some that the use of a handlebar mounted fairing particularly on a short wheelbase BMW put one at increased risk for having a "tank slapper" .
    I can attest to this. albeit my fairing is smaller, but it is a handful at speed.

James.A
    Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    No need,

When I glued that tool tray gasket material on the headlight opening, It changed everything. Pictures of the modification to follow.
    2 years late, but here it is;

I think the OP was looking to find out how to mount the faring on the handle bars. I had one of these on my /7. It was replaced with a Hannigan ST. I still have the Wixom (never knew the name of the fairing until this thread) upstairs over my garage in storage with the mounting pieces as shown in the April 2010 photo. Although, mine has a home-made windshield made from plexiglass. I found the Wixom OK at lower speed, but not pleasant on the highway. Unfortunately, I don't remember how the mounting hardware was fitted but it is a handlebar fairing (a *big* one at that).
    Stan

AH# 13238

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    2 years late, but here it is;
    Jeeze, if I hadn't come over it could have been another couple of years.. Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake