Thread: Posting notification caveat

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar

Exclamation Posting notification caveat

With the Forum software upgrade we gained the feature of having the text of new posts emailed to us, instead of just the "a new posting exists" message. While I think I like the feature, I've noticed that it has changed how I use the Forum.

In the past, I usually went to the Forum every time I received a notifcation, and I would usually hang out, read a few posts, and maybe even submit a post. (i.e. Lay's potato chips..."Betcha can't eat just one.")

Now, I find myself reading the post email, and usually deciding to visit the Forum at a later time.

Maybe it's just me, but does it seem like there are fewer posts recently?. Maybe there's a posts/day graph that would correlate this?
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

I looked at the Statistics in the Admin panel and we're seeing anywhere between a low of 120 posts to 220 new posts a day.

I don't have statistics on the old forum software anymore, but the last time I looked there (around September) we were usually about 100 to 150 posts a day.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by merrittgene
    With the Forum software upgrade we gained the feature of having the text of new posts emailed to us, instead of just the "a new posting exists" message. While I think I like the feature, I've noticed that it has changed how I use the Forum.

In the past, I usually went to the Forum every time I received a notifcation, and I would usually hang out, read a few posts, and maybe even submit a post. (i.e. Lay's potato chips..."Betcha can't eat just one.")

Now, I find myself reading the post email, and usually deciding to visit the Forum at a later time.

Maybe it's just me, but does it seem like there are fewer posts recently?. Maybe there's a posts/day graph that would correlate this?
    I haven't looked at the stats, but it seems all the Internet forums and email lists I'm on have been slower the last week plus. I think it's the weather changing in some locals (last minute outdoor stuff) plus the holidays - prep for and shopping after Thanksgiving.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I can anectdotally tell you that the net was dead on Thursday and Friday. I am looking at the list servers I am on and the forums I am on. I went from averaging 100 e-mails a day to barely 20 per day for those two days.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride