Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Waving at Scooters

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    I don't always initiate a wave, because a lot of stuck up cruiser riders don't reciprocate.

I always return a wave regardless of who offers it.

Everybody was out enjoying a beautiful spring day today and I returned waves to motorcyclists, scooter riders, a few small kids and one cyclist.
    Yup, that's the same for me. Though I broke my own rule of not waving first yesterday on my way home from work, at the middle of the Newport Bridge, a F-650-GS, loaded for bear, I waved, nothing. I know he saw me as he just looked at me as he rode by. I should have just stuck to my rule of not waving first.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Nine out of ten scooter riders you wave at won't get it.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Then I must be in the 10%.
    It's interesting, if I am on the ET4 and wave at a motorcycle, it's 50/50.
    If I am on a motorcycle and wave at a scoot, 50/50.
    Scoots wave to scoots, we're a strange cult.
    But I must say I was surprised to get a wave first from a motorcycle yesterday as I was hopping about.
    Hey if you wave I'll wave, deal?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Then I must be in the 10%.
    You're a motorcycle rider riding a scooter -- not the same thing a scooter rider.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    You're a motorcycle rider riding a scooter -- not the same thing a scooter rider.

You mean I'm not a scooter rider on a motorcycle?
    Dang!

I wave at most two wheelers, when on the pedal powered ones it's usually just a left two finger lift off the brake lever hoods...If I have been on the bike daily, I forget I am in a truck and slam my hand against the window

It wears out on weekends and near rallies however...by Sunday I am done from over waving. Most brands wave back...you have the fringe from every group that are wave snobs and can't be bothered...Ducati's and apehangers more than not

In rural Texas, you get a hand off the wheel wave from most trucks...or the Dodge Nod.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

In many states, 50 CC scooters do not require a license or insurance. Many, not all but many of the scooter riders have a alcohol/drug problem. They still want to work and support their family, we do not have effective public transportation, so they get a scooter or as some call them, a liquor cycle. While they ride, most do not ride for our reasons. Others are ridden by kids, they may not know to wave. There may even be a few ridden by ex beemer riders with too many performance awards and a poor lawyer. So just in case, wave, it may be someone you know.

To me, waving is not about keeping score.

Rod

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Wave or don't wave. It's your choice and no one needs to ask permission to do either.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Trickster
    Due to potholes, windgusts, and inattentive cagers, I no longer wave to anyone/thing.
    But in my F-150, I wave at my fellow Ford owners.

Styles of Your Wave --

Once you've decided to wave...what is it: 1) LH with index finger, pointing at the road..or 2) LH sort of held horizontally, no wrist motion, and 1, 2 or 3 fingers extended 3) LH still on grip, but fingers splayed in a fan? Seems to me that anything above horizontal, that is, above the grip, is something I've never seen.
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

i wave to Scooter-Dudes.

Yesterday, I took an ERC with 10 other motorcyclists and one scooter-dude. I give him a ton of credit for coming out with the resst of us on his little 125cc scooter. In fact, I was kind of envious when it came time to work on the u-turn box!

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Once you've decided to wave...what is it: 1) LH with index finger, pointing at the road..or 2) LH sort of held horizontally, no wrist motion, and 1, 2 or 3 fingers extended 3) LH still on grip, but fingers splayed in a fan? Seems to me that anything above horizontal, that is, above the grip, is something I've never seen.
    it depends on who it is...we have a fun chicken wing wave to the GoldWings.( sorry Hugh!) The BMW's get a hand off the bar end cool wave, The sportbikes do it so fast and go back to the bars it's hard to tell if you even moved a hand... the Cruisers get a horizontal finger point like a Fonzi AAAAYYYY if they look like they are gonna reciprocate...if not it's the ADV salute at times...... Why do it the same everytime
    We see first time wavers really giving it the Prom Queen/Parade wrist poppin elbow bent wave at times... all good fun.

OK...just havin' some fun so don't get in a snit ...except the Goldwing one It confuses the heck out of our Winged riding friends.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    i wave to Scooter-Dudes.

Yesterday, I took an ERC with 10 other motorcyclists and one scooter-dude. I give him a ton of credit for coming out with the resst of us on his little 125cc scooter. In fact, I was kind of envious when it came time to work on the u-turn box!
    LOL, I took my test for my motorcycle licence on a 90cc Bridgestone (yes, they built a bike. "I didn't know Bridgestone made tires") The guys who showed up on the huge cruisers were offering to rent my bike after I did the cone slalom.

Holly
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    Remember, if someone does not return a wave, it does not always mean they are stuck up. I often get waved at when I feel me hands are better of staying on the bars. Such as shifting and turning. I really don't like waving on the LA freeways at 75-80 mph, thing happen too fast. Plus, with a closing rate of 150 MPH, the waver is often past before I can respond.

Scott
    1988 K75 Low Seat
    2009 R1200R Roadster

My experience with waving at scooter riders is this - most look like they are scared to death to let go of the handle bar long enough to wave back. For three or four months a couple of years ago, I would see the same guy going the opposite direction that I was going and I would wave. I could sense by the way he looked that he wanted to but I could read the fear in his body language. Saw him last week and waved and he waved back. He had upgraded his scooter from a 125 or 250 to a Burgman of some sort. I know it was him -- military combat uniform and helicopter pilot helmet (we have a helicopter squadron at Edmonton Garrison).

All the other scooters were kids with their first set of wheels. Again, the body language was showing a lack of confidence and a bit of fear. I still wave.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ÔÇ£If you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular!ÔÇØ http://www.yearroundriders.com