Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    I'm surprised at how many "old guys" own sport bikes like the S1000RR & K1200S. I'm only 43 & find the ergos painful. I've seen lots of 60 year olds climb off of 'busa's & such too... Maybe it is my fat gut. If I lost 40 lbs, I'd probably fit better... Told my wife if I got to 180, I'd get a Ducati... She is probably safe.
    Nah! Us old guys are in superb shape and can take it;

or

us old guys hurt all the time anyway so what's a little more cramping?

now where did I put the Aleve?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Comfortable . . . .

Actually it is comfortable. I am 5'10 and 220 lbs. I found the seating to be great. No monketbutt! Legs are up high but no cramps in 150 mile trip.
    The wrisits and head position were my initial problems. Grips are small and hard. I installed padded add ons and it was much better. The muscles for head position strengthened. Not an IB competitor but fun for short trips.
    The modes are amazing. I cannot imagine inserting the plug for slick. I tried rain, sport and race mode. Each becomes more sensitive. Race is so sensitive as to do wheelies after I rolled the throttle after going over a bump. My riding partner is named Mortality and we both prefer the sport mode.
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT
    '11S1000RR

S100rr

I had the pleasure of delivering one of there beasties to its new owner last week. Around 310 miles Fresno to Malibu (Hwy 41 to 33) over 5100' pass through Los Padres Natl forest. Anyway.. big fun. However @ 6'1" with a 33" inseam and this racer was not built to fit me. It is a extremely compact. Felt like I was looking down at the front fender. But it is very adept at it's mission. Pulls like nothing I've ever been on or expect to in this life. Took me about 50 miles to get settled in. Was a rainy day so once I go out of "Rain" mode.. found "Sport" mode and pulled the trigger to pass a string of trucks. When I got to the Rock Store in Malibu..I was looking for Jay to see if he really believed the rocket was comfortable. It is so light..really noticed pushing it in the parking lot. I could really get used to that shift assist transmission. Very slick package.

Suspension Adjustments . . .

Last night I adjusted the suspension to a softer setting. Much better for a road trip. If I was going to be in the Appalachins for the rally I would turn it up!
    An amazing motorcycle!
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT
    '11 S1000RR

bmwboogie
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    I'm surprised at how many "old guys" own sport bikes like the S1000RR & K1200S. I'm only 43 & find the ergos painful. I've seen lots of 60 year olds climb off of 'busa's & such too... Maybe it is my fat gut. If I lost 40 lbs, I'd probably fit better... Told my wife if I got to 180, I'd get a Ducati... She is probably safe.
    Are only concern is that you kids gets out of the way as we elders go by.

I haven't ridden the S1000RR even 100 feet, but I did A/B the seating with the Yamaha R1 last year at the Laguna Seca MotoGP. The S1000RR is definitely a Barcalounger compared to the R1, and especially to the Ducati 916 (last real sport bike I tried to ride, but I couldn't lift my head up enough to see forward). Sure, the pegs are up high and the bars are a reach (for me at 5'10" 225), but it's far from extreme like the other two bikes I mentioned. I didn't think the reach was a lot further than my R1200ST...

Bottom line, if someone wants to loan me their RR, I'd be happy to try a 350 mile day on it.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboogie View Post
    Are only concern is that you kids gets out of the way as we elders go by.
    Since I wrote that, I've dropped 35lbs & test rode an S1000RR...

Wow... Actually was fairly comfortable since I wasn't laying on my gut... Need to drop another 30...
    John.

Comfortable . .. .

My biggest day was 350 miles. It was a long day. 3 hours in AM and same in PM. It was the first real long ride on the S1000RR so I was not conditioned. I am also 63 years old. A younger person could probably do better. I too have dropped weight and find the position great. I have to flex my legs before I start off to make sure I have the flexibility to get my feet up to the pedals.
    The more I drive it the better I feel about it. Amazing control and responsiveness. Sticky tires allow for "spirited" cornering. The rear view mirrors are tucked in so that it is hard to see immediately behind the bike. If it is driven as intended . . . . there is no one behind anyway!
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R1000RT
    '11 S1000RR

Talking Wish I had one....

I am following this thread... and I am hopeful....

My dream bike right now is a RR. I am only 47 and a month ago was told that I might have had a heart attack... it turned out not to be true and the follow-up stress test and EKG's have reported me to be very healthy and to have a heart of an 18 year old. Since stress test are now part of my routine tests very few years, I have begun to make some changes....

1. I have started to exercise to drop another 20 lbs and to a comfortable 190 and holding it.
    2. I am exercising on a daily basis and working my heart like the rest of my body.
    3. I will put my boys through college and buy my wife a new car....
    4. At the age of 60 I am rewarding myself with the RR and spend their inheritance ... by then BMW may have something even crazier on the market... but I will be in shape and have the heart to handle the excitement!!!!

I envy those that have a RR, but I am also not ready to sell my Airheads to make that happen. The RR will be in "addition to" the airheads. I am done selling bikes, I am only adding to the garage.

If anybody is parking a RR too much and needs it ridden, give me shout out... I will make it my commuter bike in a second...okay 4 days a week at least.

Fellows, keep the rubber side down and keep me posted about the RR....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

At least one aftermarket model seeks to improve the ergos for longer street miles use.
    Look up the Wunderlich "Curare" version. Different bars, seat, pegs makes it more a gentleman's sportbike (and its got a Gulf Porsche style paint job and lots of carbon fiber bits, also).

I ride a K1200RS sometimes (but mostly my 08 RT) and at age 65 I can easily see myself on the Curare but not on the stock S1000RR, despite the fact that I'd enjoy heck out of its performance. I can do about 250 miles at a pop on the K1200RS and essentially anything you can do before needing sleep on my RT but S1000RR isn't built for distance riding as sold.