Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comfortable?

bobh41

Comfortable?

Leno says it's comfortable. Has anybody ridden the S1000RR over 500 miles at a stretch? Would you take it cross-country? - or is it "just" a racer?

Would you consider trying to make a tourer of it, i.e., saddlebags, windscreen?

Please don't shoot me, just askin'

Bob

Clay
    I was fortunate enough to have this phenomenal bike from my local dealer for a weekend. I even put on a few hundred miles..like rid'n a race horse at the Kentucky Derby.. Bottom line..this is not a sport-touring bike.

Caribbean Druid
    It is a matter of perspective. Compared to my Ducati 1098, which I've ridden for 300+ miles at a stretch, its a plush recliner...

I rode my R1200S from Phx to Gray and back last year. It was fine.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

I'm not sure that's apples-apples I had a R1200s, took a 5800 mile trip on it and was fine. I have a S1000RR ordered but don't see any trips like that in my future. I have heard it's more comfortable than a 1098/1198 Duc but the RR riding position is more "extreme" than a R1200s.

I don't really care though, the RR is freakin awesome!
    Tom
    2013 K1600GT

Well, Leno as tall as he is (6'5" or better?) has long arms, so his reach to the bars are not mine. He could easily find an R1200S or an S1000RR comfortable.

It's us shorter folk that have issues. YMMV.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

CRAIGER527
    He is only 5ft 11in. You might be thinking of Conan O'Brian. He is pretty tall.

Same as me then, no wonder he likes it, I thought it was OK, but I do like the reach better to the R1200S.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh41 View Post
    Leno says it's comfortable. Has anybody ridden the S1000RR over 500 miles at a stretch? Would you take it cross-country? - or is it "just" a racer?

Bob
    You know, I'm hearing about its comfort, but the S1000RR is a compact, diminuitive bike and when I sat on one, the high pegs and handle grip location reminded me very much of the Duc Superbikes, MV's, Honda liter's, etc. I've owned.

I'm surprised at how many "old guys" own sport bikes like the S1000RR & K1200S. I'm only 43 & find the ergos painful. I've seen lots of 60 year olds climb off of 'busa's & such too... Maybe it is my fat gut. If I lost 40 lbs, I'd probably fit better... Told my wife if I got to 180, I'd get a Ducati... She is probably safe.

Me, I am 5'11" and 170. I fit just right on my R1200S.

And I am not as old as many here, but I do have adult children.
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by bobh41 View Post

Bob
    If you see the bike in person, you will realize that it is a very compact bike.
    It is not meant to be ridden for 500 miles or probably less than that. I would not even think about saddlebags, etc....
    It is a beautiful bike to have fun at short runs and twisty roads not a sport tourer not even close.

475+ miles

Rode mine to Yosemite and back from the SF Bay Area a couple Sundays ago and did just fine. That was about the limit. I'm 5'10", 170 and have in the past ridden GS's. I also have a Ducati MTS 1100S with all the bags and such.
    I added an old Famsa tank bag and bought the very nice RR Tail bag. All works well.
    Love the bike. Always a joy to ride.
    I do have to remind myself not the "hunch" over and lean on the bars but keep my back straight and lean forward at the waist. Then my hands fall on the bars.

I ride a R1100RS so I'm pretty comfortable in that position, though my RS is not as "hunched over" as the R1000SS.

I rode one for 100 miles at the dealer in Bentonville, and was never so glad to get off of a motorcycle in my life, even with the adrenalin pumping at 4 gal./min.
    I'm sure with some seat time you would accustom yourself to it more, but it's not a touring bike. Wasn't meant to be. It excels at what it was designed for, but touring is not in it's repertoire.

Not saying it couldn't be done, but not by me.

IBA #44567 Pres. Springfield BMW Roadriders
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

JeffinTD
    I just got a brief test ride, but for me (around 6'3) the footpeg position made the riding position pretty cramped. I'm sure there are solutions to move the pegs back, but I really couldn't see doing more than say 200 miles at a stretch.

It is a very compact bike, with very aggressive ergos.