Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: BMW Rallye 3

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    368

    BMW Rallye 3

    Looked at this jacket today at the Dealers shop, (Black and Yellow model)
    Beautiful jacket, way too much money - $ 850....

  2. #2
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,535
    I agree. theres a lot of good jackets for far less $$$$. I like Tourmaster myself...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

  3. #3
    CRAIGER527
    Guest
    I said the same thing the first time I saw one. I have the Rally Pro 2 with the pants. It is expensive but it is the nicest outfit I have ever had! There are several dealers on ebay selling the Pro 2 jacket for $600 or so and you can easily find used ones on advrider.com. I bought mine used for $700 with the pants on ebay. Worth every penny!!!

  4. #4
    John. jstrube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAIGER527 View Post
    I said the same thing the first time I saw one. I have the Rally Pro 2 with the pants. It is expensive but it is the nicest outfit I have ever had! There are several dealers on ebay selling the Pro 2 jacket for $600 or so and you can easily find used ones on advrider.com. I bought mine used for $700 with the pants on ebay. Worth every penny!!!
    I bought my Rally 2 on sale at the dealer last month for $389 & the pants for $299...

    Question though, there is a hole in the top for a iPOD or whatever cord, then a holder inside for the cord, then another hole, that you would think leads to a pocket, but on mine, goes no where... What gives?

  5. #5
    Cam Killer marchyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    I bought my Rally 2 on sale at the dealer last month for $389 & the pants for $299...

    Question though, there is a hole in the top for a iPOD or whatever cord, then a holder inside for the cord, then another hole, that you would think leads to a pocket, but on mine, goes no where... What gives?
    It's no for an ipod, its for the drinking tube to a hydration reservoir that fits in a pocket under the mesh liner. BMW used to sell the reservoir. Perhaps they still do. You can get the same reservoir less the BMW logo from these folks. I use one, but in one of my tank panniers instead of the jacket. They are easy to fill, easy to clean.

  6. #6
    Registered User ojhengen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    36

    BMW Rallye2,3,4

    It costs a lot, but it is a great jacket. They should publish a users manual for it, though, because it takes some puzzling over to figure out how best to route the tubing from the water reservoir. Once figured out, though, it is kind of ingenious. You also can put another reservoir in the rear pocket, if desired.

    I wear my set year-round. Being able to remove the sleeves and open up the vents makes the jacket a true four-season garment, and the pants are comfortable and surprisingly cool in the summer.

    If only they could make the thing truly waterproof without liners...; but, they don't, so I carry a very lightweight rain jacket and pants rather than mess with the liners, which are much too hot for summer use.

    Does any other manufacturer make a jacket with removable sleeves?

  7. #7
    John. jstrube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atwater, CA
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    It's no for an ipod, its for the drinking tube to a hydration reservoir that fits in a pocket under the mesh liner. BMW used to sell the reservoir. Perhaps they still do. You can get the same reservoir less the BMW logo from these folks. I use one, but in one of my tank panniers instead of the jacket. They are easy to fill, easy to clean.
    OK, That is very cool. Trouble is, I never could find out how to get to the pocket under the mesh. I guess I need to take everything out & look harder! Which size water pouch do you use & is there anything else I would need to know before ordering? That looks like a nice setup.

    I also think a small manual should be included... The Dealers don't always go over every detail...

  8. #8
    Hammam
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I agree. theres a lot of good jackets for far less $$$$. I like Tourmaster myself...
    Sure. There are even hundreds of motorcycles for far less $$$ than BMW. You get what you pay for.

  9. #9
    Cam Killer marchyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammam View Post
    Sure. There are even hundreds of motorcycles for far less $$$ than BMW. You get what you pay for.
    Sometimes. Not always.

  10. #10
    Hammam
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Sometimes. Not always.
    How about most of the times? No, what amuses me is that someone can spend literally astronomous sums of money to own a BMW bike, and justly so because they are generally excellent motorcycles, only to grumble after that about the price of an outstanding piece of gear like the Rallye 3.

  11. #11
    Registered User TomDac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    183
    i love the look of the Rallye stuff, but unfortunately, I'm a little "girthy" to fit into their biggest size.. Grrrr.
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com

  12. #12
    Cam Killer marchyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,468
    The Rallye 3 is too new to know if it is going to be an outstanding piece of gear.

    When I bought my R2P I thought it was going to be an outstanding piece of gear. It failed the longevity test. The pants are literally falling apart after about 40,000 ~ 50,000 miles of wear and I've also had to replace things like zippers on the jacket. That keeps me away from the newest version from BMW.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •