Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overseas purchase scam?

Overseas purchase scam?

My b-in-law unfortunately decided to purchase a bike seen on e-Bay from a seller in Rome, Italy. It was a 2006 LT, listed for about $7500. I do not think he actually bought it through e-Bay.

The whole thing sounded fishy to me, but he went ahead and sent, via Western Union, a 50% deposit. They supposedly were using a shipping company called Global-TST. I can't find anything about them and their website is filled with typos. They have continued to ask him for the remaining 50% plus another $1800 "customs tax".

He thinks he is going to get the bike, I say there is no bike and it is a scam.

What do you folks think?

FYI, he has seen no copy of a title, nor Bill of Lading.

S

Think he'll find it illegal to import regardless of the details of the sale.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Caribbean Druid
    Unfortunately from your initial description, I think he's gotten hosed...However he may (or may not) have some recourse through eBay since it was initially advertised there. I would suggest he contact eBay immediately with his concerns, to see if there is any recourse. I would suggest that under NO conditions he send them any more money until the situation is resolved...just my 2 pennies worth. Also, I agree with Kent, even if the offer/sale is legit, the bike is probably not legal for U.S. import, unless it is specifically a U.S. model.

Any time you are asked to wire money via Western Union you are being scammed, period. I have heard of hundreds and hundreds of motorcycle and motorcycle parts transactions where the seller asked for money via Western Union and every single one was a scam. Not one single one, not even one, was legitimate.

Let me guess - the deal is, he wires all the money and they will ship it to him for a 2-week inspection period. If he doesn't like it they will return his money? There is no bike, no customs dues, no shipping fees, nothing but a couple guys sitting in an Internet Cafe in London or Lagos, occasionally going down to Western Union to quite anonymously pick up money wired to them by victims of their scam. Call Western Union's fraud department at 1-800-325-6000, I will bet a case of beer that your brother's first installment was picked up in London or Nigeria.

Your brother is being scammed, probably by someone who hacked an e-Bay account with one of the many eBay phishing e-mails that go out looking in particular for accounts with perfect feedback to use in scams just like this.

Here is one I literally got today:

Looks legit doesn't it? Only it isn't. If you click the "Respond Now" button you are taken to a look-alike site hosted on maxwager.com that was set up to do nothing but capture your login and password, and then use your eBay account (and your 100% positive feedback) to run scams just like this. The "Sent to: Undisclosed recipients" is a dead giveaway, and if you hit "View Source" you can see for yourself that even though the link says eBay and is even using eBay's own graphic it is really linked to somewhere else, in this case a site (maxwager.com) registered in Australia with fabulous.com and hosted in London with VPS.net's hosting services. I have already notified them both of the scam, let's hope the Phish site has already been taken down.

Have your brother call the local FBI field office and the local police.
    Last edited by Ted; 04-01-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

There is a 99.999% chance that this he has been scammed. He should NOT send them another cent.

Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Although a different site, I think the same applies here. Craigslist.com explicitly states that any deal that is outside of the USA and requests sending money via Western Union or another money-gram service is likely a scam.
    FORZA ITALIA
    2007 K1200GT

-"Are your giblets warm?" J.D., Scrubs.

JAMESDUNN
    Scam. The other posters are correct. Western Union? Overseas? Banks and many web sites have warnings posted regarding these types of transactions.

Aw, show a little faith in your brother man. Send the money.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Hosed!

Ted's nailed it!

Your brother-in-law just got an expensive education.

Another good reason to use your local dealer. Yep, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

piperjim
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

dont even waste your time calling the FBI or your local police.
    They won't do anything. I had the same thing happen on a boat I was trying to sell. The guy sent me a payment in full "Certified bank Draft" on a bank in Dallas which was bogus. At that time I contacted the FBI and the local police.

Playing along, I even went so far as to tell him that something was wrong with the first Bank Draft.......He sent me another from a bank in N.J.

They never did a thing.

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

mchaven
    To bring a bit of humor to the situation here's a collection of people messing with foreign scammers.

http://www.419eater.com/index.php

Ahhh - the best ever was the P-P-P-Powerbook
    Ted
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I hope your brother-in-law is not a financial adviser.
    '14 R1200RT
    MOA #46783

You could try filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Good luck.
    FORZA ITALIA
    2007 K1200GT

-"Are your giblets warm?" J.D., Scrubs.