Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Pretty Wife" wants to ride!

You all have been so kind and helpful, the least I can do is attach a photo.

This was late at night after a 6.5 hour drive to fetch the little bugger from Griffin, GA. So, we're a little haggared, but happy!

She's been riding the thing all over the neighborhood. Always returns w/ a grin on her face.

Len
    ps- the decals had to go, the lady knows what she likes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lenrt1200st; 04-29-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lenrt1200st View Post
    You all have been so kind and helpful, the least I can do is attach a photo.

This was late at night after a 6.5 hour drive to fetch the little bugger from Griffin, GA. So, we're a little haggared, but happy!

She's been riding the thing all over the neighborhood. Always returns w/ a grin on her face.

Len
    ps- the decals had to go, the lady knows what she likes.
    Looks like a happy camper to me!
    00 R1200C (blue)

Wow.

Sounds like y'all have been on quite a roller coaster the past few days. I'm so glad for you both that you were able to work this out and get that lady on her own bike!

I love the color! Thanks for the update.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Congrats to both for working through all the ups and downs. Ride safe and keep that beautiful grin going

Quote Originally Posted by Voni View Post
    Off to a great start!

With that first lesson under her belt, she won't be as intimidated at her first MSF class.

And a new rider is born! Welcome with open arms to our sisterhood, "pretty wife"!

Voni
    sMiling
    on the MSF. If you want to maintain marital bliss, do not attempt to teach your bride to ride.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    on the MSF. If you want to maintain marital bliss, do not attempt to teach your bride to ride.
    We've ridden about 100 miles together; mostly back roads w/ light traffic. Sunday afternoon upon returning from a 40 mile ride she said, "Thank you for all the coaching you've been doing during, I really appreciate your patience w/ me."

Every now and then IÔÇÖll say something stupid and/or callous, but I can immediately tell that IÔÇÖve screwed up. A sincere apology can go a long way.

I just need to remember that IÔÇÖve been at this riding thing since I was 14 years old! SheÔÇÖs so new to this. I need to keep things in perspective, as IÔÇÖve forgotten how many little mechanical skills and motor memories IÔÇÖve acquired and committed to my riding experience. She's a fresh sheet of paper, a new canvas. It's all a brand new experience for her riding and controlling her own bike.

I am amazed at her progress, thus far, and at her enthusiasm for the sport. I think sheÔÇÖs a natural. I sometimes wish I could whisper into her helmet during a long sweeper, ÔÇ£keep your head up and look through that turn.ÔÇØ ItÔÇÖs a little scary watching your beloved pushing the limits and honing her riding skills.

I have to say, it's great to see her leaning through a curve and holding her line, she's amazing. I'm very proud of her. I am a little frightened that I'll witness her crashing or hurting herself, God forbid. After all, she'd be riding behind me If I hadn't encouraged her to begin riding on her own.

God grant me the serenity

Len

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    We've ridden about 100 miles together; mostly back roads w/ light traffic. Sunday afternoon upon returning from a 40 mile ride she said, "Thank you for all the coaching you've been doing during, I really appreciate your patience w/ me."

Every now and then IÔÇÖll say something stupid and/or callous, but I can immediately tell that IÔÇÖve screwed up. A sincere apology can go a long way.

I just need to remember that IÔÇÖve been at this riding thing since I was 14 years old! SheÔÇÖs so new to this. I need to keep things in perspective, as IÔÇÖve forgotten how many little mechanical skills and motor memories IÔÇÖve acquired and committed to my riding experience. She's a fresh sheet of paper, a new canvas. It's all a brand new experience for her riding and controlling her own bike.

I am amazed at her progress, thus far, and at her enthusiasm for the sport. I think sheÔÇÖs a natural. I sometimes wish I could whisper into her helmet during a long sweeper, ÔÇ£keep your head up and look through that turn.ÔÇØ ItÔÇÖs a little scary watching your beloved pushing the limits and honing her riding skills.

I have to say, it's great to see her leaning through a curve and holding her line, she's amazing. I'm very proud of her. I am a little frightened that I'll witness her crashing or hurting herself, God forbid. After all, she'd be riding behind me If I hadn't encouraged her to begin riding on her own.

God grant me the serenity

Len
    Hi Len,

When I first started riding, my hubby and I would go to the school parking lot and practice all of the things I learned in the MSF class. I still do that on my own every chance I get. The more she can practice the basics from her class, the better the muscle memory will get. Maybe that will calm your fears a little.

Kelly
    00 R1200C (blue)

Len,
    My husband and I have been riding together for 11 years now and he still has to remind himself that I am no longer just learning to ride. It is that protective male instinct towards someone you love. The more she rides, the better she will get and the less you will worry. Good job of keeping yourself in check though. Good luck to you both as you continue on your journey of acquiring many, many miles together.

Other riders!

All -

I think I could write a book on the emotional journey, thus far. Just last night we were riding on some really nice back roads, some tight corners, mostly sweepers and generally having a ball. We went into town to gas up and decided to do some in town riding; stoplights, 4-way stops, the usual in-town stuff.

At the station I ask her how it was going so far. She said that she enjoyed the rural riding and felt confident w/ our pace through the corners.

She later admitted that this in-town riding was very challenging for her, and much more intense than riding on the open road where she could prepare for upcoming curves, etc. There is always a lot going on in town, and she is still new to shifting, clutch, and brake function and a little jerky at times.

As we were leaving the gas station a HD rider spotted us. I suppose he was curious, or just wanted to follow some fellow motorcyclists, but what he did next caught my attention. He trailed us through a left turn at the next traffic light, them I notice he move up on Bonnie very quickly and pushed the nose of his bike up as if he were going to pull up alongside her. I was leading and in the right-hand third of my lane.

So, I slowed and waved her to go on by me, while I shadowed or blocked his progress to her right. He was riding an open pipe machine and came thundering up on my rear. I effectively blocked his attempts at harassing her, and it seemed the presence of my imposing GS may have cautioned him to back off! Bonnie signaled for a left turn into a side street along our discussed path and I followed. The HD rider gassed it and blasted past us as we turned.

Later, she asked me what he (the HD rider) was trying to do. I told her, I think he was just curious and recognized that you were a female rider. She then asked why he tried to pull alongside of me? I said I did not understand this move, but that’s when I motioned for her to go around me and interjected myself between them. She was grateful for my actions, as the HD rider’s moves were frightening her.

I believe the whole thing was harmless, but I am now more aware of other riders skill and comfort level when I'm riding around or near other riders. It’s best to keep a good clear distance between myself and unfamiliar riders. You never know what they may do or how anxious they are because of your presence or movements.

I'm also aware that some male riders are more concerned w/ their own desires and urges, and fail to consider the possible consequences of their actions.

Len
    Last edited by lenrt1200st; 05-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.

She later admitted that this in-town riding was very challenging for her, and much more intense than riding on the open road where she could prepare for upcoming curves, etc.
    The most difficult environment for Annie to ride in during her first riding days was an intercity freeway. Six lanes of speeding aggressive drivers is not an environment for a rider still building confidence; probably not a good idea for any rider.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I hate that kind of riding. Gives too many people a chance to kill me all at the same time!

Voni
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

HD riders ride next to each other more often than in a staggered formation. I've had them pull up next to me and I wave them by.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

my wife had the same issue with others riding too close

Usually either she or i will pull over and let them by, if we haven't had a chance to explain that she was a new rider and didn't feel comfortable with other riders near her.

I don't remember ever having an issue.
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

HD Rider

I appreciate the advise. As it turned out the HD rider went on his merry way and did not follow us after we turned onto a side street. I think he was just curious, not trying to ride two abrest. The GA law does not allow side-by-side m/c riders. And the local HD, riders I've seen do not break this law.

He was just a little close for her comfort, and I could sense it. So, I inserted myself and the GS between them. AS you point out new riders do not need this type of distraction. Bonnie later expressed her gratitude, as the guy was creeping her out!

Thx,

Len

It has been wonderful to read about your wife's journey into this realm! I'm so excited for her. Your well-written posts also remind me of when I re-entered riding and was a quivering mass of nerves, trying to decide which bike would be right for me, and finally finding someone who could gently guide me through the tough parts of the process...and eventually marrying that same "someone"! Voni was there for that most treacherous part of my riding education!