Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "Pretty Wife" wants to ride!

Rally Rat

Congratulations, Bonnie!

We look forward to hearing more about her travels. Please invite her to post.

tracy

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Congrats! As I've told other new riders, you learned enough to handle the bike in the parking lot/range. Now comes the time when you really start to learn. Do well and learn lots!
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Congrats "Pretty Wife" on the successful completion of the course.

Now get these things in order:

1. Your own BMW MOA membership!!!!!

2. Good gear including helmet, boots, jacket, pants and gloves that fit a womans (very special) body.

3. That "first bike" that you can learn on w/o worrying about the fact that it may go down. Buy a good cheap one, learn on it and sell it to another beginning rider and don't lose any money. Win, win.

And, why hasn't your husband posted a picture of you riding??????????

We need more women in the MOA and we are getting there, one new rider at a time.
    Last edited by Bud; 04-13-2010 at 01:51 AM.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    Yippeeeeeeeeeeee...now the fun begins!
    00 R1200C (blue)

Congratulations, Bonnie! Of course we need pictures when your new bike arrives!
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Congrats "Pretty Wife" on the successful completion of the course.

Now get these things in order:

1. Your own BMW MOA membership!!!!!

2. Good gear including helmet, boots, jacket, pants and gloves that fit a womans (very special) body.

3. That "first bike" that you can learn on w/o worrying about the fact that it may go down. Buy a good cheap one, learn on it and sell it to another beginning rider and don't lose any money. Win, win.

And, why hasn't your husband posted a picture of you riding??????????

We need more women in the MOA and we are getting there, one new rider at a time.
    All gr8 advice. Re the photo of "pretty wife" on her bike... all in good time. No bike, no photo. Patience, please.

I’ll be in Shanghai on a business trip. So, the search will iether turn up something before the weekend, or we'll wait until I return.

We’re looking at several small used bikes: GS500, Buell Blast, DR350/400, etc. She is taller than me, but the R1200GS is still quite a little intimidating.

Thanks for the tips!
    Len

RTGirl
    Congrats Bonnie. As I tell my recent graduates, you are now certified to practice, practice, practice!!! Look forward to hearing more tales of how you are progressing. Let us know what bike you find. It is great having one more female rider on the road with us.

The Buell Blast!

Up-date:

We've looked around and finally settled on a Buell Blast as her "learner" bike. She likes the look of the bike, and when I can post some photos, you'll see why. It's not a typical looking Blast.

We are set on a used BMW F650 GS or ST single eventually, but dropping a Beemer is not a pleasant thought, much better to learn hard lessons on a bike that's a bit more expendable. Then graduate to a nicer ride after confidence is built and skill sets are in place. And, again thank you all for the kind recommendations as to first bikes.

She has been looking at this site and reading your encouraging remarks, hearty welcomes, and advice. She paid little attention to BMWMOA, except for reading articles in the ON, especially those involving female rider/writers. So, just a thought, maybe there is a key learning in this for the BOD?

IÔÇÖm off to China on a business trip, and hope to close on a 2001 Blast upon my return. IÔÇÖll try to post pictures of ÔÇ£pretty wifeÔÇØ and her ride, post haste.

Thanks again BMWMOA sisters & family,

Len

Len,

My wife did the same last summer except the MSF instructor was not so good. Seem like a fallout of 50% of al his students is the norm. Shen then a private school and actually learned how to ride.

www.lrn2ryd.com They are in the nw burbs of Chicago. Highly recomended.

Anyway, She got a nice used f650gs. lowered model even though she is 5'10" flat feet on ground = more control. She only gotabout 500 miles on last fall before weather went south. But she was real eager to get started this spring.

Congrats to your wife!
    Mike G
    Northern Illinois Packer fan
    Bikes: 2009 R1200RT

Well, I owe you all an up date. Things are at a standstill on Bonnies bike. We had the money saved to pay cash for a nice Buell Blast. Then my bike, the R1200 GS was hit by a pick up truck in a gas station parking lot. The guy split, but I had his info and when the cops they said his license plate was expired! Report filed, wait for estimate, etc. long story short the check from his insurance company arrives while Im in China.

Bonnie and I loaded the bike onto my truck and she take me to the airport for my flight out bound and then delivers the GS to BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta. The tires also need attention and the oil/filter could use a change, so before I leace for China I tell the tech via phone to make it happen.

She was to go to BMW of Atlanta to pick up my bike, pay the bill, and then swing by the airport to pick me up after my in bound flight. I arrive at the truck, no bike. As it turns out

While installing the rear tire it was discovered (luckily) that the hub was cracked in several places and needed replacement. Ouch! This was discussed w/ the powers that be and a new rear final drive was recommended. My understanding is that the simple hub replacement on the existing drive can cause alignment issues and itÔÇÖs best to start all over w/ the whole unit.

The FD costs ~ $1900 + labor and weÔÇÖve decided that the tires, oil change, etc for the GS are more important than her new bike. WeÔÇÖd have to borrow money to purchase the Blast, and the cost of repairs empties our new bike account.

Sadly, we are a one-bike couple. The first bike for Bonnie will have to wait until we can build a purchasing fund. IÔÇÖd be a real jerk if IÔÇÖd have insisted on my bike first, then hers, but sheÔÇÖs the one who arranged for the FD fix while I was in the air to the USA.

I hope we can soon get this girl on her own bike, sheÔÇÖs an absolute peach.

Len

She got her first bike

We found a way to re-direct some funds, and last night we picked up a 2001 Buell Blast. SheÔÇÖs so excited, she has her first bike. ItÔÇÖs perfect for bombing around in our neighborhood and practicing her parking lot maneuvers. SheÔÇÖll be up to speed in on time.

She, quite happy w/ this little ÔÇ£putterÔÇØ and sheÔÇÖs very happy w/ me for making it happen in spite of our recent unexpected FD repair/expense on my bike.

Len
    ps ÔÇô IÔÇÖll post her picture w/ the bike when I figure out how!

Len,
    I was initially bummed for your wife (and you for having to deal with those bike problems) after reading about your bike problems, but I'm glad to see you found a way to make things work. And, yes pictures are a must.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! kellysbeemer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lenrt1200st View Post
    We found a way to re-direct some funds, and last night we picked up a 2001 Buell Blast. SheÔÇÖs so excited, she has her first bike. ItÔÇÖs perfect for bombing around in our neighborhood and practicing her parking lot maneuvers. SheÔÇÖll be up to speed in on time.

She, quite happy w/ this little ÔÇ£putterÔÇØ and sheÔÇÖs very happy w/ me for making it happen in spite of our recent unexpected FD repair/expense on my bike.

Len
    ps ÔÇô IÔÇÖll post her picture w/ the bike when I figure out how!
    Awesome!! Send pics when you can and have her join in the fun on the forums here. Lots of great info. and people to share and learn from.

Kelly
    00 R1200C (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by kellysbeemer View Post
    Awesome!! Send pics when you can and have her join in the fun on the forums here. Lots of great info. and people to share and learn from.

Kelly
    +1, what kellysbeemer said.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923