Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Smugmug (photo sharing) affinity program

Trying to post photo

OK, here goes, my attempt to post a photo using ImageShack.
    Chewman
    '76 R90/6

Cool Link to Smumug Community Page

Quote Originally Posted by BeerTeam View Post
    Here is a Link to the Smugmug Bmwmoa Community: http://www.smugmug.com /community/BMWMOA

I am curious about the amount of traffic I am getting on the Smugmug BMWMOA Community Website. When I am hosted on the BMWMOA Community, I get very few hits on my Stat Counter compared to being hosted on others sites.

I have looked for a link on the BMWMOA Web page and I can not find a link to the Smugmug BMWMOA Community Web site.

I think a few good links to the BMW Community site could be another tool to bring new members into the BMWMOA.

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    I second this motion. All in favor, say "aye."
    Just wondering if there is a link to the BMWMOA Smugmug Community page?

There is no link yet, but I'm hoping the powers-that-be will see that members are suggesting that there should be.

I have the same experience as beerteam. When I link to another site, I get thousands of hits. I would rather share the photos here, though. Perhaps if members knew that there was a BMWMOA Smugmug community, it would increase traffic there as well as at Smugmug.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Nye View Post
    Greetings,

I am pleased to announce that we have made an arrangement with Smugmug to offer our members a discount on this service.

To sign up for Smugmug and receive the $5 discount available to 'MOA members to get started please follow this link. Our cupon is entered automatically however for your reference our cupon code is: v6FeTKhJQ1cFE.

As always if you have any comments or questions we are ready to assist.

Best,

By "we", I am assuming the BMWMOA?

I know I get a $5 discount, but who gets the $10 credit for signing someone up, the BMWMOA? If so, is it applied to my membership dues?

I'm just on a 14 day trial...still uncertain about the service.

Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    I've used free sites, but the tools that come along with smugmug, the lack of advertising and the support they show us as part of the affinity program makes me feel like the $30/year or whatever it is is well spent.
    Try $40 a year now for their basic "Standard" service.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    I'm just on a 14 day trial...still uncertain about the service.
    If there are questions about service you'd like answered, you can find the help
    over at www.dgrin.com. Either of the moderators or help desk support can
    answer any questions you might have. You can also e-mail help@smugmug.com
    directly.

Quote Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
    You can also e-mail help@smugmug.com
    directly.
    I did...24 hours ago...no response, but I have since figured it out.

As for for whose coupon code I use, it'll depend. Might as well pass it along to a friend and split the $10 credit. Why should the BMWMOA get it? Damn sneaky of them not to mention it in the initial thread.

I did...24 hours ago...no response, but I have since figured it out.
    Hmmm. 24hrs seems like a long time to wait. If you want, PM me the user name
    you signed up with and I'll ask. But the wait times for a response are usually measured
    not in hours but minutes.

Did you check your spam filters?

Ian

P.S. I don't work for smugmug but am a very satisfied customer.
    Last edited by ian408; 04-15-2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added spam filter question

Hmmm. 24hrs seems like a long time to wait. If you want, PM me the user name
    you signed up with and I'll ask. But the wait times for a response are usually measured
    not in hours but minutes.

Ian

P.S. I don't work for smugmug but am a very satisfied customer.

Hi Ian,

I would have thought.

Maybe you can provide some suggestions.

I'm on dial-up (still) and my ISP provides 5Mb of web space for my site. Now if I choose to go high speed, that ISP provides 15Mb of web space, so I don't need my present ISP.

The other solution is to use a photo hosting site as my web site, but I would think that it would limit me in what I can do. Can I post links on SmugMug? I haven't tried yet. If I go that route, I can get high speed interent for a lot less from other providers, but with no frills such as web space.

So which route to go? And since I don't generate revenue with my site, I want to keep it cheap. Its there as a service, nothing more.

Hi Ian,

I would have thought.

Maybe you can provide some suggestions.

I'm on dial-up (still) and my ISP provides 5Mb of web space for my site. Now if I choose to go high speed, that ISP provides 15Mb of web space, so I don't need my present ISP.
    15MB isn't a lot of space when it comes to original photos. With SM, you can upload
    any size original. SM will convert it into thumbnail and several other sizes (including
    the original) on uploading. With your own service, you'll do the conversions yourself.
    Or you might shoot pictures at a lower resolution.

My self, one image can be 12MB in size. I may edit it but I almost always upload
    originals.

The amount of data you can store on SM is unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider

The other solution is to use a photo hosting site as my web site, but I would think that it would limit me in what I can do. Can I post links on SmugMug? I haven't tried yet. If I go that route, I can get high speed interent for a lot less from other providers, but with no frills such as web space.
    SM isn't a web host per se but depending on the level of subscription, you can
    heavily modify the look and feel of your site. Take a look at the customization section
    in the SM support forums over on www.dgrin.com. I think you'll find there's a very
    wide range of features.

SM Help.
    SM Customization.
    SM API's and Hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider
    So which route to go? And since I don't generate revenue with my site, I want to keep it cheap. Its there as a service, nothing more.
    At a minimum, you get unlimited data storage. The reliability of data center class
    services. No spam or banner ads and no requirement to purchase a minimum
    number of prints to keep your subscription alive. Some of the recently update
    "themes" are pretty cool too. If you want to add passwords on a gallery, just
    click the button. The online help is pretty good too (plus it comes with a whole
    community of peeps willing to help both with your skills and SM).

If you do choose to order prints, they come with an unconditional guarantee. If you
    are not happy, SM will refund your money or reprint them at no charge to you.

As a side note, SM takes photography pretty seriously. Not only do they try to
    present your photos in the best possible way, they provide some of the best
    color correction (i2e) and explore why flash reddens prints (the science).
    I really do think the founders are committed to providing the best photo sharing
    site.

Not bad for $40.

i finally ponied up and got a smug mug account this week. i'd been using my friend's server for years and it was a real pain to keep things organized. i'm quite impressed with the whole service so far except for some synch issues between creating new folders on smugmug and them not showing up in the mac download. not a big deal, i just restart the program and all is good.
    04 GS ADV

My self, one image can be 12MB in size. I may edit it but I almost always upload
    originals.

Not bad for $40.
    I see you shoot in either RAW or TIFF. So do I, now.

The $40 isn't all bad, now that the US dollar has taken a dive. I just don't want SM to justify raising rates by adding features, features that I don't want (like the channels my CATV company is adding, channels I don't want as part of the original package, yet I have to pay more for them).

Thanks for all the info and tips.

I see you shoot in either RAW or TIFF. So do I, now.
    Yes, I do shoot RAW. Greater flexability

Regarding price increases, when I first signed up, there was a high degree of
    instability. For the second year, those who stuck it out were given a free year
    of service. That price increase was the first in maybe 4 years.

The service is still a great value if for no other reason than the unlimited storage
    feature. I know how much I have uploaded and I have a relatively good idea of what
    that costs (I manage storage day to day). It's a pretty good deal.

Yes, I do shoot RAW. Greater flexability
    Ian,

What do you recommend for digital photo editing software? It has to handle TIFF and RAW.

Depends what you want. I use both Adobe LightRoom and PhotoShop. You could
    get by with just LigthRoom.