Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet put out to pasture

Just after I a trashed a few old helmets, after cutting the straps off, I read of a great idea. See if your local EMS, fire dept. or hospital ER would like them for training purposes. Someday the motorcycle crash victim they have to remove a helmet from could be you and it would be nice to know that they knew how to do it properly.

+100

XTrooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Railbender View Post
    Just after I a trashed a few old helmets, after cutting the straps off, I read of a great idea. See if your local EMS, fire dept. or hospital ER would like them for training purposes. Someday the motorcycle crash victim they have to remove a helmet from could be you and it would be nice to know that they knew how to do it properly.

If your local ER/EMS personnel aren't bright enough to know how to remove a motorcycle helmet without training, I'd move from the area. Two D rings and a nylon strap shouldn't be any more of a challenge than loosening the belt on a patient's trousers. That said, the fact of the matter is, they're simply going to cut the strap. I spent a lot of time at accident scenes and hospital ERs during my career and, in my experience, those people are very capable and they're definitely not shy about using those blunt-nosed scissors they all carry.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    If your local ER/EMS personnel aren't bright enough to know how to remove a motorcycle helmet without training, I'd move from the area. Two D rings and a nylon strap shouldn't be any more of a challenge than loosening the belt on a patient's trousers. That said, the fact of the matter is, they're simply going to cut the strap. I spent a lot of time at accident scenes and hospital ERs during my career and, in my experience, those people are very capable and they're definitely not shy about using those blunt-nosed scissors they all carry.
    Is that the proper way to do it? I don't know, but if I had a neck or spine injury I'm not sure I want someone just pulling my helmet off!

Yeah it's not them getting through the strap I'd worry about as much as how they pull the thing off my head.

I like Holly's idea- and I've got a helmet has has served very well and is due for replacement later this year. The cool part (pun maybe slightly intended) is that it's already got lots of vents in the shell so I don't have to drill holes.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Old Helmet blues

I just made the decision yesterday to buy a new helmet. I have been looking and trying them on and was impressed with the Nexx helmet my friend ordered at the bike show in Chicago. Because of have being very happy with the fit of the Arai RX7, having owned two, I bought a third. They are going out of production and are becoming scarce. I am keeping my newly replaced helmet as a spare and have kept the oldest one for spare parts. The benefit of staying with the same helmet. That and the confidence in the fit.
    Tom Running, 51141 Greenville, WI
    "Love is when you like something as much as your motorcylce." Sonny Barger in Hells Angels
    by Hunter S. Thompson 1966

Dale Rudolph

Getting a helmet off

As to the paramedics getting the helmet off your head after cutting the strap,
    one item that made me get a modular helmet is once the chinbar is
    raised, the bottom of the helmet can be spread apart. I wear a hearing aid in one
    ear and the ability to spread the helmet made it so much easier to get on and
    off compared to a full face helmet.

If they are in good shape, I hold onto them for a spare or visitor helmet (better than NO helmet). But if it is trashed, they are pretty fun to shoot up for target practice.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350