Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet put out to pasture

Helmet put out to pasture

So, my helmet reached the ripe old age of 5 years, and I realized it was time to put it out to pasture. The new one has arrived, and has taken the old one's place. But, I find there's a bit of sadness as my trusty old helmet is put aside. It's broken in and a bit more comfortable than the new one, but I know the new one will become just as comfortable once it gets broken.

So, what do others do with their trusty old helmets.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I line all my old helmets up on a shelf in basement. It's getting to be a long shelf.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Motorcycle Visibility Lighting systems: Can You See Me Now?

I saved my old helmet as a spare. If something happens to my newer one, I have a back up until I can replace or repair. I also have it in case we happen to have a non-rider going out with us as a passenger.

I realize they need replacing for good reason but is this wrong to do?

I do not know if its wrong or not, but I do the same thing as the last two posts do .
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Yup, lined up on the shelf in the basement. Some are still usable as spares (not too old and never dropped, just changed because the fit wasn't comfortable for all-day riding.) The one that I did a faceplant while wearing is kept as a cautionary tale.

I do know someone who drills holes in them, then hangs them as planters.
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

I have three retired Shoei helmets lined up on a high shelf in my garage. All are in the black Shoei bags that came with them. The most recent would my back-up, but I've never needed it. The only one I don't have is my old Bell full face from the 80s. That one died in a wreck: cracked and scratched all to hell. It saved me from facial reconstructive surgery and may have saved my life. I wish I'd have kept it as a conversation piece.

I know what you mean about the fit. My Shoei X-11 will hit five years next spring, but last year I replaced the cheek pads because the old ones were literally falling apart. I got the stock size pads and was amazed at how much thicker they were than the old ones. It was noticeable just visually, but the fit was amazingly more snug. It took a while to get used to it. Its good deal, though, because for $50 I bought two more years of life out of an expensive lid.
    Last edited by mistercindy; 03-28-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

XTrooper
    I'm not sentimental. They get tossed out with the rest of the trash..

I'm not sure about that. I remember reading an article in either cycle world or rider saying that after 5 years the helmets should be replaced as both the outer shell and pads have deteriorated past the point of safely performing in an impact. A weakened outer shell with new padding may not do as much as you hope. A few hundred may be much better insurance to protect yourself. JMHO

Bob

I put an axe through mine and toss them.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    I'm not sure about that. I remember reading an article in either cycle world or rider saying that after 5 years the helmets should be replaced as both the outer shell and pads have deteriorated past the point of safely performing in an impact. A weakened outer shell with new padding may not do as much as you hope. A few hundred may be much better insurance to protect yourself. JMHO

Bob
    You're right. But as I said, I replaced the pads last year when the helmet was only three years old. It won't hit five years old until next spring. So, I got two more years of service from my helmet for only $50. In April of 2011, at five years old, it'll be retired and replaced.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper View Post
    I'm not sentimental. They get tossed out with the rest of the trash..
    I'm not sentimental either, but I have a problem with sending something like a helmet to the landfill site. It isn't particularly biodegradable. That's why I like the planter idea. Stuff some petunias in them and hang them from hooks on my front porch.
    Volunteer for the 2014 Rally in St. Paul. rallyvolunteer@bmwmoa.org

Thanks for the replies. I do plan on keeping the old one as a temporary back up in case something does happen to the new one.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Just to cause trouble

Has anyone ever heard of Snell or DOT (or anyone else) putting a 5+ year old helmet through the impact tests. I do replace my helmets at 5 years but I have never seen any actual test data. I've always wondered??????? FWIW I have read the full DOT and Snell test protocols.
    Live this day.

I'm going to have to go back and do a search. I'm sure either Rider or Cycle World did that exact test on older helmets within the last couple of years. If I find it I'll post it.

Bob

That would be way cool!! I've always had the hair standing up on the back of my neck to the tune of about $500 per toss. I wear a Shoei X11 and I love it. But ......
    Live this day.