Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW System 6 Helmets - Availability

LDCommuter
    Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    As noted above, System helmets have not been available in the US for many years. My Canadian dealer said that it was due to BMW's aversion to selling helmets in the much more litigious US market.

Canadian dealers are under instructions from BMW Canada to ensure that no System helmets are sold to US customers under threat of having the helmets embargoed here as well. It's a product they want to carry, so they take the threat seriously.
    My local dealer has a sign up that the helmets are illegal to wear in the USA (as they are not DOT approved).

cbck1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by LDCommuter View Post
    My local dealer has a sign up that the helmets are illegal to wear in the USA (as they are not DOT approved).
    Well, now I'm not sure what to do. My wife and I think nothing of crossing the border and bombing down to Bellingham WA on a nice day to do the Chuckanut coastal drive to Burlington but I'm not prepared to lay out $800.00 for a non DOT helmet that some State Trooper takes exception with and writes me out a ticket.

I'm sure the helmet meets or exceeds the DOT standard but there's nothing worse than riding down the road and having to look over your shoulder for fear of getting pulled over. Mind you there's times when I need to do that as the speedometer creeps up into bad boy territory. (it's hard being good with 165 ponies between your knees)

So, I'm going to re-think the purchase and maybe look at Nolans or some of the Japanese flip ups. Anyone out there got any suggestions for a comparable lid?

Thanks
    cbcK1200S - Colin

I like the newer Schuberth flip up helmets because they are the only flip ups that are quite. The Nolans and Shoei's flip ups are ungodly noisy. Since I have had Schuberths in the past I know what size I wear. I simply went to a European motorcycle gear website and ordered one. I think I used FC Moto. 4 days later the helmet was at my door.

And I couldn't care less if it is DOT approved or not. If its passed the European standards thats good enough for me. Besides theres not to many DOT police jumping out of bushes on the side of the road to check peoples helmet for a DOT sticker.
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

Go to any biker apparel store and buy yourself a DOT sticker.

Odds of the police even looking twice at a full face helmet for a sticker is low, you would have to really have made him mad.

Rod

Has anyone's helmet ever been checked for the presence of a DOT sticker? I just can't imagine it happening unless there's some other bad behavior going on to provoke an LEO to stop you - and even then the likelihood of a DOT check seems miniscule.

Caribbean Druid
    I have to agree that the chances of a local or state LEO checking your helmet for a DOT sticker is not high. Let's face it, with the number of idiots riding around in beanie toy helmets, its not likely that a Schuberth or BMW system helmet is going to draw ANY attention for a DOT sticker inspection.

I've ridden for years with an Australian spec Nolan.

But the last time I researched it, my home province didn't have a helmet spec.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

LDCommuter
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    I've ridden for years with an Australian spec Nolan.

But the last time I researched it, my home province didn't have a helmet spec.
    Here is the spec from the Alberta Vehicle Equipment Regulation:

Division 4
    Cycles
    Cycle safety helmet
    107(1) This division does not apply to bicycles.
    (2) No person shall operate or ride as a passenger on a cycle unless
    that person is properly wearing a safety helmet.
    Safety helmet standards
    108(1) A safety helmet intended for the use of an operator or a
    passenger of a cycle must meet one or more of the standards for
    motor cycle safety helmets adopted under subsection (3) in effect
    on the date on which it was manufactured.
    (2) The following are adopted and apply to safety helmets in
    accordance with subsection (1):
    (a) CSA Standard CAN3-D230-M85;
    (b) Standard 218 under Part 571.218 of the Code of Federal
    Regulations (United States), Title 49;
    (c) British Standards Institute Standard BS 6658 - 1985;
    (d) Snell Memorial Foundation Standard M2000;
    (e) Snell Memorial Foundation Standard M2005.
    (3) A safety helmet must have the mark or label CSA, DOT or BSI
    or the mark or label of the organization in subsection (2)(e)
    indicating that the safety helmet met one or more of the
    specifications required on the date on which it was manufactured.
    (4) No person shall buy, sell or offer for sale a safety helmet
    intended for the use of operators or passengers of cycles unless it
    complies with subsections (1) to (3).

Thanks LD.

I last researched that a few years ago, and won a case of beer on a bet, that there was no helmet reg. They must have promulgated it when the "new" highway traffic act was passed.

I was told that, at the time, Alberta wanted to get on board with some federal program, so passed the law requiring helmet wear, but didn't come up with a reg.

Anyway, with no Australia spec on that list, it looks like I have my work cut out for me if I get stopped and charged. But the last time the RCMP pulled me over, he said my buddy and I were too old to cite, and he thought BMW riders were pretty responsible.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

cbck1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I'm surprised the "skydiver had his neck broken by System Helmet that flipped open in flight" legend hasn't appeared here.

I've flown System 3 and System 5 helmets back with me from Germany, and my wife shipped us System 4s when she was there for business.

I've done it simply because I think they're cool and not because I'm necessarily convinced they're any better than any Made-in-Japan helmets. German safety standards are fine with me, as I consider any and all USA automotive anything simply third world.
    Out of curiosity, when one ships goods into the US from GB is there a US duty on the items and if so, how much? I know if I shipped a helmet from GB to Canada there would be import duty and probably a large brokerage fee to do so. In the past to get around paying import brokerage from the US I maintain a US mailbox in Blaine Washington. Then I just import the items across the border...much easier and cheaper.

Designer Helmets in GB are selling the System 6 for $440 pounds which equates to $677 CND compared to $840-$940 at the Vancouver dealerships. Frankly, I have no problem buying overseas as long as I'm not knicked with a couple hundred dollar import duty and brokerage fee. Anyone that's had some experience with this? I'd appreciate your feedback.
    Thanks in advance
    cbcK1200S - Colin

Getting lost...
    When I purchased a Schuberth from a German supplier there's was no duty paid upon entering the US. And it arrived in a week.

System 6 helmets are not in the US so when I was in Canada last year I stopped at the dealer in Calgary and tried them on. The sizing is different that most brands and they didn't have my size, unfortunately. They knew I was travelling. There was NO discussion that they wouldn't sell me the helmet or any such thing.
    In fact, they called another dealer along my route to see if they had my size (I really wanted to be able to try it on). I wasn't able to try on my size, but I was impressed by the helmet features and not concerned that it wasn't as safe as the DOT approved helmet.

I might try getting one again this summer when in Canada!

cbck1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by beemergirl View Post
    System 6 helmets are not in the US so when I was in Canada last year I stopped at the dealer in Calgary and tried them on. The sizing is different that most brands and they didn't have my size, unfortunately. They knew I was travelling. There was NO discussion that they wouldn't sell me the helmet or any such thing.
    In fact, they called another dealer along my route to see if they had my size (I really wanted to be able to try it on). I wasn't able to try on my size, but I was impressed by the helmet features and not concerned that it wasn't as safe as the DOT approved helmet.

I might try getting one again this summer when in Canada!
    I've checked out the prices in Vancouver area where I live and have come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to purchase in Great Britain. Check out

http://www.designerhelmets.com/prodl...&prod=System+6

They are over $200.00 cheaper and they ship where ever you want. I'm going to order mine through them next week.

If you are still interested in buying one in Canada give me your size and I'll check out if the dealer has it. Here in Vancouver they make you show your BC license and sign a waiver that you won't sell it to someone from the USA. I could coordinate the purchase and ship it to you. Frankly, the GB dealership sounds like less trouble
    cbcK1200S - Colin

Aren't our governments (both US and Canada) and Schuberth/BMW just great!

About a year ago I was looking to replace my Schuberth flip-face helmet, both because of age and small damage in an accident. At that time no BMW helmets were on the shelf - in Canada - and the only Schuberth helmets were a few "left-overs" which of course were not in my size. "Schuberth is no longer importing helmets to Canada." Did my research and ended up with a Shoei RF-1000 which fits perfectly. Bad reviews kept the Multi-tec off my shopping list, though I do miss what you can do with a flip-face helmet when stopped or even on the road. (Eat, drink.)

Now both BMW and Schuberth helmets are again available in Canada? But you are better off (a couple hundred dollars) ordering from GB? Maybe you need to have it sent to a friend in the states to avoid duties in Canada, if you live close to the border?

As for the legality of wearing one of these helmets in the US, do I have this right, as a foreignor, to wear one of these highly protective but not DOT approved helmets in states where helmets are required (is it now only 20 out of 50) where little beanie caps apparently have DOT certification?

Frankly, I'm to the point of agreeing with the "helmet laws abolitionists." Or maybe we should look to what the Europeans are doing in terms of helmet laws, helmet certification, and rider education.

Yes, I am a Walter Mitty. If you are too young to understand, google it.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Kirbster919
    I wouldn't worry about a LEO looking for a DOT sticker. Every time I've been stopped, the LEO's didn't ask about my helmet, and I'm not even sure they were aware of the specification required.

Also, a helmet being DOT approved means the maker agreed to meet a certain specification. As I understand, there is no testing for a DOT approval. One could argue that a non-DOT helmet meets DOT standards in terms of quality of build. True or not, I can't imagine a LEO fighting somebody on this topic, especially if the helmet meets some reasonable standard.

Another idea that may not be true... you could argue that the helmet is considered standard operating equipment, therefore part of the bike, and therefore subject to Canada's laws in the same way that vehicle emissions equipment is.

Either way, in my opinion, wear your helmet, don't worry about it, and in the extremely rare chance you get stopped for something else, put a little sugar on it. You're being responsible by wearing a helment, a LEO isn't going to bust you for that.