Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW System 6 Helmets - Availability

cbck1200s

BMW System 6 Helmets - Availability

Thanks for all who gave feedback. I purchased a System 6 and I am experiencing some issues with it so I've started a new thread titled "System 6 Helmet Warranty Issues" thanks
    cbcK1200S - Colin
    Last edited by cbcK1200S; 05-23-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: I've purchased a new System 6 and started a new thread titled "Warranty Issues System 6 Helmets"

I think that it was 1991 when the last BMW helmets were sold in the USA.
    It was the system 2. There was a big line waiting to get them at the BMWMOA rally in Flagstaff, AZ.

Caribbean Druid
    OK, so this means the System 6 helmet is not available in the U.S.? Can anyone confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    OK, so this means the System 6 helmet is not available in the U.S.? Can anyone confirm this?
    BMW does not sell any helmets whatsoever in the U.S.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Caribbean Druid
    I was hoping they were going to reverse that trend with the new System 6...apparently the U.S. lawsuit mainia continues its rampant march towards total insanity...

cbck1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    BMW does not sell any helmets whatsoever in the U.S.
    Since my original post I've been looking online and nope...I can't find one dealership that sells them. The clerk explained to me that BMW didn't want to go through the problems of getting them DOT approved so ergo they aren't in the US. Interestingly enough I've heard they are made by Schuberth (another great helmet) which is available in the US. Go figure!!
    cbcK1200S - Colin

cbck1200s
    I was hoping they were going to reverse that trend with the new System 6...apparently the U.S. lawsuit mainia continues its rampant march towards total insanity...
    Given that many states do not require helmets I wonder at the rationale behind the lawsuit issue. I wouldn't be caught dead without a helmet these days or should I say brain dead....so anything that's between me and the asphalt works for me.
    cbcK1200S - Colin

Quote Originally Posted by cbcK1200S View Post
    Given that many states do not require helmets I wonder at the rationale behind the lawsuit issue.
    [cynical reply]
    If you are wearing a helmet and if you are in an accident where there is head injury then obviously it is the helmet manufacturers fault. It must be. If the helmet were any good you'd not have any head injury. Since it is their fault they must pay. A lot.
    [/cynical reply]

Apparently there are enough folks in the US who believe the above... enough to cause headaches for the manufacturers. At least that's what is commonly reported. I haven' a clue if its a real problem or not.

Caribbean Druid
    My wife just ordered my the new ZUMO 665 for my birthday (pre-order, supposed to be delivered first week of May) and I want to finally go bluetooth. Looks like I'll have to go with a Nolan instead...

Getting lost...
    By the way newer Schuberth's are not available in the US. They will support the older helmets but no longer import.

As noted above, System helmets have not been available in the US for many years. My Canadian dealer said that it was due to BMW's aversion to selling helmets in the much more litigious US market.

Canadian dealers are under instructions from BMW Canada to ensure that no System helmets are sold to US customers under threat of having the helmets embargoed here as well. It's a product they want to carry, so they take the threat seriously.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

...the U.S. lawsuit mania...dwestly
    One of the major differences between the two legal systems is the rarity of the civil jury in Canada. So you don't get as many whacky verdicts.

In my province you need leave of the court to get one, and judges do not like juries.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I'm surprised the "skydiver had his neck broken by System Helmet that flipped open in flight" legend hasn't appeared here.

I've flown System 3 and System 5 helmets back with me from Germany, and my wife shipped us System 4s when she was there for business.

I've done it simply because I think they're cool and not because I'm necessarily convinced they're any better than any Made-in-Japan helmets. German safety standards are fine with me, as I consider any and all USA automotive anything simply third world.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

BMW System 6 Helmets vs. "Brain Buckets"

It is utterly amazing that we can't get BMW System 6 helmets in the U.S., but I see Harley riders wearing these "brain bucket" helmets everyday.

Sorry, the picture didn't copy. Do a seach on the Internet for "brain bucket" and you will see what I mean.
    Last edited by fastdogs2; 03-28-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: phot odid not copy

Or more likely Schuberth's perception of US lawsuit mania is rampant. There are a lot of European and Asian helmet manufacturers who seem to make US sales work for them.