Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Being men of a certain age...

Being men of a certain age...

I just came back from the Doctor and found that the discomfort I've been feeling after rides seems to be caused by an enlarged Prostate. He called it Prostatitus. At 50 plus he wasn't too concerned, but it does cause quite a bit of pain in the "region". Ok Guys we're all pretty much in the same demographic, any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bob
    '04K1200GT

Yep. One suggestion. Cranberries.

I started having problems several years ago. (I'm 59) After reading on up on the subject, Cranberry Juice & berries work really well.

We have started buying frozen whole berries around the end of the Christmas season each year and keeping them in the freezer. About a tablespoon each day will work wonders...guaranteed.

In the meantime, start drinking about 6-8 oz. of juice each day.
    You will see a difference in about 3-4 weeks. The size of mine has actually shrunk. My doctor was incredioulous last week with his finger......well we won't go there.
    Google Cranberrys & Prostate!

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Just a point here. Have you been getting a regular PSA test as well as the "digital" exam every year? If not you need to look into getting a PSA asap and then look for trends in the score assuming you have an initial normal reading. If the reading is high to begin with (5 or higher) you need to look at a possibility of prostate cancer. Mine was enlarged and had been ever since I was in my 20's. I was getting regular PSA's and when it changed a biopsy found cancer early. It's gone now and continuing PSA tests monitor for any recurrence.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    Just a point here. Have you been getting a regular PSA test as well as the "digital" exam every year? If not you need to look into getting a PSA asap and then look for trends in the score assuming you have an initial normal reading. If the reading is high to begin with (5 or higher) you need to look at a possibility of prostate cancer. Mine was enlarged and had been ever since I was in my 20's. I was getting regular PSA's and when it changed a biopsy found cancer early. It's gone now and continuing PSA tests monitor for any recurrence.
    Yep, since turning 50 I follow these two rules of thumb yearly.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Thanks for the replies. They check the PSA levels every year during my Dept. physical and they've always been in the normal range. (Except for one test during my divorce that they attributed to stress. who knew?). Anyway I should get that count back this week and hopefully when we follow up next month things will be better. It might keep me off the bike this week though. Not too happy about that! OK see you out there.

Bob
    '04K1200GT

Mike in NJ
    Look into taking Saw Palmetto as an herbal supplement. When I checked into it I mentioned it to my doc and he told me he takes it himself (he's younger than I am). In any event, it works for me and I"m 63.

Mike in NJ

BMWRich58
    Quote Originally Posted by kovo1787 View Post
    Look into taking Saw Palmetto as an herbal supplement. When I checked into it I mentioned it to my doc and he told me he takes it himself (he's younger than I am). In any event, it works for me and I"m 63.

Mike in NJ
    Yes sir...Saw Palmetto fur me too!
    1 tablet a day of "EXTRACT 320mg's" since 2001 and no complaints, problems, or nightly visits to the Loo...
    Oh yeah,..I'm also a member of the over 50 crowd...

PSA Test Questioned

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Yep, since turning 50 I follow these two rules of thumb yearly.
    FWIW, the worth of the PSA test is under question now. See: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...V5AsUO3gtPl5JA
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Before you jump off this cliff do a lot of reading on the current views on the effectiveness of PSA testing. If you have a good doctor you will quickly find out Prostate Cancer screening is very controversial.

Bottom line, almost every man who lives until old age dies with Prostate Cancer, but does not die of Prostate Cancer.

Become informed, talk to your Doc.

It is amazing how much contradictory info is available out there on this subject! But with some crazy strong anti biotics, hot baths, cranberry juice and saw palmeto pills things are feeling better. It sucks to get old but a hell of alot better than the alternative!

Bob
    '04 K1200GT

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Before you jump off a cliff and decide to drop the PSA test, keep in mind there isn't anything that is 100% fool proof regarding the human body and it's maintenance. The PSA is only one tool and you don't throw out the tool box because one tool won't do the job every time.

Same thing with dealing with prostate cancer. Yup you can do the watchful waiting. That's a euphemism that the doc figures you'll die of something else before the prostate cancer kills you. Sometimes that's a reasonable strategy, especially if you are already in your 70' or older. In your 50's that might just not be the thing to do. As long as the cancer is still contained in the prostate you have options for an easy cure. Once it spreads those options went away.

I've already had to deal with cancer that spread with my wife and her breast cancer. No thanks, I will not take some layman's advice and decide to let things go until I need extraordinary measures like radiation and heavy chemo to try and salvage some additional life span that I would likely have had by dealing with the situation while it was small and easily cured. I've seen the results of that and we both live with the consequences of not catching the cancer early enough.

Never ever rely on the internet for medical advice. Use your doctor as that is their job. If you don't like what the doc says, go ask some other doctors about it and keep it within their specialty as a GP may not be current with the newer data.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Never ever rely on the internet for medical advice. .
    Could not agree more, best advice yet.

Joisey shore (but my heart's back in the Chugach)
    Funniest thing. I had been meaning to get some Saw Palmetto but after reading the posts here about Cranberry (and a little internet research), I went down to the local Walgreens and purchased a couple of bottles of Cranberry supplements to give it a try. By the way it's on sale 2 for 1. After the register printed out my receipt, it then printed out a coupon for a "Free AARP Membership".

How in the hell did they know??

professor
    You said you have an enlarged prostate which your doc called "prostatitis". Those are two different things. The medical name for an enlarged prostate is "BPH - Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy (or Hyperplasia). Prostatitis is an inflamed prostate which is often caused by an infection and treated with antibiotics.

First I'd like to say thanks for all of the responses. I'm still waiting for the results of the bloodwork taken last week as far as PSA or any other irregularity. Urinalisis didn't show much either, so for now I'm on some crazy strong antibiotics and Advils. Things should be clearer by weeks end but I am feeling much better.
    Thanks again and stay well and safe guys! (Maybe I'll see some of you in VT this July, Oregon is just too far away for me.) That's me and cranberry juice right now

Bob
    '04 K1200GT