Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corbin seat or BMW comfort seat?

My feedback may not be totally relevant, as my experience has been on a variety of bikes that were/are unlike your's.

Have owned Sargent seats on a R1150R, the R came with the BMW comfort seat.
    Corbin seats on a Suzuki 1000, and on two Ducatis.
    Currently have a Rick Mayer custom seat on an R1100S.

If you're looking for a comfier seat it's probably not going to be a Corbin, I liked the ones I owned, but they were VERY firm and took about 2000 miles of riding to break in. Mine were well made and durable, but pretty darned heavy in comparison to the stock seats...

The Sargent was far superior to the BMW Comfort seat, the Comfort seat is a bit higher/thicker, and if inseam is a bit tight it's not a very good solution. The Sargent was somewhat lower, had more support, and was more comfortable for me.

The Rick Mayer seat is perfection on my S, but to get it done right I had to visit his shop for a custom fitting. He made it to suit my preferred riding positions and it couldn't have turned out better. The obvious caveat is the shop visit, relatively easy for me, but not so easy for others. But Rick does know BMW's and the custom seat biz. At the time I was there he also had a customer from the east coast who'd had his highly modified Suzuki DR400 shipped out. Rick's work on that dual purpose bike was pretty cool.

So, if you can't get a custom seat from one of the Mayer's, or a Russell, guess my vote for a more comfy ride is the Sargent option...

I'm sure other opinions will surface soon!

Cheers! Bill J

I wouldn't buy either of the seats you listed. The comfort seat really isn't, and I have made the Corbin mistake enough times that I have finally learned. Never again!

I did buy a Sargent for my 09 F650GS. And it I would buy again in a heartbeat.
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

On the Road
    southern New Mexico, desert mostly, ride almost year round, put about 15K on the bike commuting over San Agustine Pass each day...

seats

Hi, I have tried Corbin seats, I tried the comfort seat from BMW, I had the comfort seat re-built by Psyco Seats in El Paso. jell in center and under the butt, covered in sheared sheep skin. I finally went to Russel for a DayLong Saddle. This on an R1100RT. Nothing compared to the Russel for all day comfort. I think the Rick Myer saddle is similar to the DayLong saddle. You often get what you pay for and the Russel was about $700. I would never go to the BMW comfort seat again, it was no better than the original seat, possibly worse. I do know that the sheep skin was good. Cool in summer and warm in winter, but the jell was not the way to go. It was a good looking saddle and much better than the BMW saddles. It was a good saddle or the bike had to go. Craig in NM
    Last edited by craiglascruces; 03-31-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: add last scentance mostly

09 F650GS, 08 Suzuki Band

thanks all

very useful info!

Norm

The Russell seats have a sterling reputation that is well deserved. Some however find the appearance (sort of like a tractor seat) not all that attractive. Of course it's pretty hard to see it with your backside in the saddle!

FWIW, the Mayer boys are half brothers, both Rick and Bill (Rocky) learned the trade from their dad, who invented the Russell seat. I've heard good things about all of their products. But hey, from Eugene you're a lot closer to Rick's shop near Redding than I am...and it was well worth the ride. Rick is a former Iron Butt rider, and pilots a Beemer...if that makes any difference to you.

That being said, those Sargent seats are a big improvement over the stock units.

Good luck!

Bill J

I have owned several Corbin seats, most recently on my 2007 F650GS, and I've been very satisfied, but I have a Sargent on my 2009 F650GST and think it's great. Bought it because I have a Sargent on my 1998 K1200RS. These seats go the distance. I can not understand why BMW cannot make a comfortable stock seat. The most comfortable stock seat I have ever had from BMW was the Pagusa seat on my 1951
    R25.
    In the end, you will regret much more those things you didn't do, than those which you did.

GlobeBusters

Kahedo

We always use Kahedo comfort seats on longer rides. They are available from Touratech and are really nice. They have seen us through three Trans Americas Rides ('05 '07 '09) and are staying on the bikes for London to Beijing. Will be 49,000 miles in 12 months.

Before themn we used air hawks. Not as pretty but a very cost effective solution as well?

looks like I'll go to Redding!

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    The Russell seats have a sterling reputation that is well deserved. Some however find the appearance (sort of like a tractor seat) not all that attractive. Of course it's pretty hard to see it with your backside in the saddle!

FWIW, the Mayer boys are half brothers, both Rick and Bill (Rocky) learned the trade from their dad, who invented the Russell seat. I've heard good things about all of their products. But hey, from Eugene you're a lot closer to Rick's shop near Redding than I am...and it was well worth the ride. Rick is a former Iron Butt rider, and pilots a Beemer...if that makes any difference to you.

That being said, those Sargent seats are a big improvement over the stock units.

Good luck!

Bill J
    I'll plan a trip to Redding this summer and get a custom seat done. Thanks Bill.

my Russell Daylong may be ugly, but it is the best seat I've ever owned. do you want to ride, or stand around and look at your seat?
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Jack Herbst
    Just ordered a BMW comfort seat today. I hope I am not disapointed. I ordered it with the understanding that I could return it if not satisfied. (F650GST)

Does anyone with the 800/650 have the comfort seat and are you happy with it?

JacK

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    my Russell Daylong may be ugly, but it is the best seat I've ever owned. do you want to ride, or stand around and look at your seat?
    Amen! To each his own...

Weird here today...it's snowing. And I thought April Fool's was yesterday.

Cheers! Bill J

Quote Originally Posted by chelseaboy View Post
    I'll plan a trip to Redding this summer and get a custom seat done. Thanks Bill.
    You're most welcome...maybe you can get lucky and buy one when he's having a sale....my seat (which is shown on his website) was half price. The shop is a bit tricky to find out in the hinterlands SW of Redding, so make sure you have a map printed out.

Cheers! Bill J

will check for sales then..

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    You're most welcome...maybe you can get lucky and buy one when he's having a sale....my seat (which is shown on his website) was half price. The shop is a bit tricky to find out in the hinterlands SW of Redding, so make sure you have a map printed out.

Cheers! Bill J
    and it'll be a good excuse for a nice long ride down south and back

Clever thinking!

Hmm, there must be some farkle that's only available somewhere along the Pacific Coast highway in California. I just need to figure out what/where it is so I can tell my wife before I head out.

Cheers, Bill J

Motowalt

Custom Seat

Over the years I've had good luck with Corbin and Sargent on various bikes.

For the F800 I'm going to try to modify it myself with help from the website below:

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com

and here's another possibility...

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48922

If it doesn't work out, I can always have the seat reworked professionally.
    Last edited by Motowalt; 04-08-2010 at 06:08 PM.