Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: F800GS Stalling - AGAIN

  1. #1
    avarliew
    Guest

    F800ST Stalling

    I rode 45min (dry, 70F) and the engine suddenly cut-out (like no gas). Started it and then repeatedly cut out every 15-30s. Finally made it home. Bike continues to cut out even at idle and getting harder to crank it back up - no gas into engine? Yet, tank 3/4 full. Left it alone for 10 minutes. Started right back up. Idling ok for 15min. No problems.

    Next day, rode into the dealer. No problems. The dealer is swarmed and won't be able to look into it till next week.

    Anybody out there know what is wrong with my bike? It just had the 20K miles full service less than 100 miles ago.

  2. #2
    Riding for the SON
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pasco Wa.
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by avarliew View Post
    I rode 45min (dry, 70F) and the engine suddenly cut-out (like no gas). Started it and then repeatedly cut out every 15-30s. Finally made it home. Bike continues to cut out even at idle and getting harder to crank it back up - no gas into engine? Yet, tank 3/4 full. Left it alone for 10 minutes. Started right back up. Idling ok for 15min. No problems.

    Next day, rode into the dealer. No problems. The dealer is swarmed and won't be able to look into it till next week.

    Anybody out there know what is wrong with my bike? It just had the 20K miles full service less than 100 miles ago.
    Did you notice if there was a vacume in the fuel tank? Mine has been pulling a vacume on the fuel tank that amost collapes the tank. It dies at idle, but ok at speed. Could be the fuel tank vent valve. When mine was tested on the GS 911, we could not here the valve cycle. Since I am leaving for a trip so I put a small pice of tube(from a spray can) under the filler lid. No more vacume.

  3. #3
    Lost again Texpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    445

    stalling

    My wife's 2010 650 twin has experienced stalling on a couple of occasions also.
    The problems that are being described sound very much like issues some of the early 650 singles had. That problem was traced to the carbon cannisters getting clogged. The 650 twins have had cannister issues because the vent hose can suck in water. The dealer cannot remove the cannister, but you can.
    Another issue to consider is the fuel. Some bikes don't like the ethanol much of the fuel in the US contains. Water in the gas will cause many of the symptoms you mention also. The problems with water in gas seem more prevalent since the introduction of ethanol but I don't know if the two are related.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

  4. #4
    Dee G flymymbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central WA
    Posts
    520
    This could explain the problem:




    Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
    BMW / F650 GS 2008-2010
    BMW / F800 GS 2008-2010

    Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: DEC 17, 2009

    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V499000 NHTSA Action Number: PE09051


    Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

    Potential Number of Units Affected: 4498

    Summary:
    BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 AND 2010 F650 GS AND F800 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JANUARY 2008 AND DECEMBER 2009. DURING ENGINE OPERATION, A VACUUM IS CREATED IN ORDER TO DRAW FRESH AIR INTO THE CANISTER. THIS AIR THEN MIXES WITH THE FUEL VAPORS CAPTURED BY THE CANISTER, AND IS SUBSEQUENTLY COMBUSTED. DUE TO THE ROUTING OF THE VENTILATION HOSE, WATER NEAR THE END OF THE HOSE COULD BE DRAWN INTO THE CHARCOAL CANISTER.

    Consequence:
    WATER COULD FLOW INTO THE CANISTER CAUSING A STALLING CONDITION INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND ADD AN ADDITIONAL HOSE AND ROUTE IT SUCH THAT THE PRESENT DEFECT IS PREVENTED. THIS REMEDY WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-201-307-4000.

    Notes:
    OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
    __________________
    Too damn many bikes to list

  5. #5
    Continually Confused RogerA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Deland FL
    Posts
    80

    Progress

    Some progress, the dealer changed the throttle bodies and reflashed the computer as advised by BMW NA.
    He then used it for two days without problem, but on day three it stalled on him.
    At least the dealer has seen the problem first hand.
    2011 R1200 GSA
    1972 R75/5
    2009 Triumph Thruxton
    MOA/IBA/AMA

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Diamondhead, MS
    Posts
    1,054
    These bikes seem to be having a lot of problems
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1

    GS650/800 stalling

    HOLD THE PHONE.

    My wife and I both have Gs650 twins. [I've owned every series of BMW's since the /2] We BOTH experienced the bikes stalling, TWICE at speed nearly causing us to crash.

    Our dealer, BMW Chicago, replaced injectors, did the canister recall and they STILL stalled.

    TODAY - after a very animated conversation with BMW customer relations, they finally pulled the fuel tanks and found "metallic contaminants". OF COURSE. It's the only thing that explains all of the conditions under which these bikes stall. It's not rain, it's not the drain tube. It's CRAP in the fuel tank.

    If you have a GS650/800 MAKE your DEALER remove the fuel tank. They recalled them for the wrong reason.

    John Bingham

  8. #8
    X-Troller hexst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Tierra Verde, Florida
    Posts
    281
    Seems like it's only the US bikes with the canister. I removed my canister as soon as I got the bike and have had no problems.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

  9. #9
    Continually Confused RogerA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Deland FL
    Posts
    80
    Well, my wife decided to trade her F800GS for a low frame R1200GS, so that is the end of the stalling saga for us
    2011 R1200 GSA
    1972 R75/5
    2009 Triumph Thruxton
    MOA/IBA/AMA

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbingham View Post
    HOLD THE PHONE.

    My wife and I both have Gs650 twins. [I've owned every series of BMW's since the /2] We BOTH experienced the bikes stalling, TWICE at speed nearly causing us to crash.

    Our dealer, BMW Chicago, replaced injectors, did the canister recall and they STILL stalled.

    TODAY - after a very animated conversation with BMW customer relations, they finally pulled the fuel tanks and found "metallic contaminants". OF COURSE. It's the only thing that explains all of the conditions under which these bikes stall. It's not rain, it's not the drain tube. It's CRAP in the fuel tank.

    If you have a GS650/800 MAKE your DEALER remove the fuel tank. They recalled them for the wrong reason.

    John Bingham
    John:

    "metallic contaminants" ???
    Any details on this?
    Not that "metallic contaminants" are good, but wouldn't the filter assembly on the pump address this?
    I'm not meaning to badger you here, I'm just confused........

    I guess the good news is that many of us have cosmetic cracks in our fuel tanks and will be having the tanks replaced anyway?

    The canister recall will only help in wet situations, from your notes your situation is different than that ... you've got dry stalls as well... The canister could be clogged, but, but as I understand it the recall does not include replacing the canister, only a "T" in the drain line and a second vent hose....

  11. #11
    Riding for the SON
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pasco Wa.
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
    Roy, it sounds like the tank breather is not functioning. As the gas is pumped out no air is replacing it and a vacuum is being drawn in the tank, hence the whoosh when you open the filler. At some point the pump can't overcome the vacuum and the bike stalls.

    There is a well documented problem with the carbon canister and a recall to fix it. The dealer should certainly know about it. If he doesn't, you'd be well advised to find another dealer.
    I now have another problem as I had my grage door open and the sun was shining on the back of the bike, and it started to leak gas on the floor. I opened the fuel tank and it was under pressure. Somthing is not working rignt.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    195
    On USA-model bikes the owner's manual advises to fill only to the bottom of the red "dip tube" to leave room for expansion. If tank was very full then wamed by the sun and expanded further there is little choice for the bike other than to either vent the gas or risk tank rupture other than that .... it would be the usual bad actors ? ....

  13. #13
    Riding for the SON
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Pasco Wa.
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
    Roy, it sounds like the tank breather is not functioning. As the gas is pumped out no air is replacing it and a vacuum is being drawn in the tank, hence the whoosh when you open the filler. At some point the pump can't overcome the vacuum and the bike stalls.

    There is a well documented problem with the carbon canister and a recall to fix it. The dealer should certainly know about it. If he doesn't, you'd be well advised to find another dealer.
    Canister recall done and no problems since. They said it was really pluged up.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern Front Range, CO
    Posts
    6,407
    Quote Originally Posted by roybarnes View Post
    Somthing is not working rignt.
    your keyboard??
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

  15. #15
    Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Posts
    6,822
    Outstanding solution!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •