Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot weather jacket

LA heat

...uh...that's Lower Alabama heat folks.....we's gots it!!!!

I'm not sure I understand all of the experts discussion (above) but it sure is interesting!! Thanks for the info
    Heed NEAD: No Egos, Attitudes, Distractions!!!!!
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Got curvy roads?

mesh

Bought a First Gear Rush Mesh Jacket a year ago. Have been very happy with it. The zip out storm liner helps for cooler temps. It breathes well. Previous jacket was a Coretech (still use for colder weather) that did not breath enough for me (only has limited vent access points).
    BMW MOA, AMA, KCBMWMC
    09 R12rt, 01 KTM 200 Exc, 84 Honda Big Red
    98 Katana 750 (gone to a new home)

I already own a Rev'it Ignition jacket which I wore all last summer (We had many 90+ degree days) with the liner and vest out and the sleeve vents open. It was tolerable but the black leather on it was a bit much.

I wear the mesh & leather Gear pant and they are amazingly comfortable at all temps and have a zip out gore-tex liner which I seldom wear!

I am about to buy a Rev'it Turbine in Silver for the summer.
    Excellent protection and bullet proof materials and lots of mesh.

PROTECTION FEATURES
    Outer shell: Dynax mesh, Cordura?« 1000D, PWR|shell 500D, PWR|shell 750D, SuperFabric?«, Lorica?«
    Protection: ProLife?« CE protection at shoulders and elbows, SuperFabric?« in impact areas, Temperfoam?« back protector
    Waterproofing: None

Breathability: Dynax mesh panels on the chest, sleeves and back

Visibility: laminated reflective panels ERGONOMIC FEATURES
    Fit: tour fit, regular

Adjustability: UTA | tab at cuffs, flexisnap XL, adjustment straps at hips, adjustment tabs at upper and under arms

Ventilation: ventilation panels at chest, back and arms
    Features: collar hook, stretch lips at elbows, long connection zipper and double short connection zipper
    Pockets: 2 slit pockets at the front, inner pockets

Quote Originally Posted by ojhengen View Post
    After years of riding (since the 1960's, including in Vietnam), I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "cool" jacket.
    I agree with that. During my commutes and other city riding in the summer I'll be in a short sleeved shirt because I dislike having anything extra draped over me. Its just too hot. I know its not ATGATT, but its a risk I take because I otherwise won't ride.

I will wear a mesh jacket on long rides in the summer because I know I'll be moving, and it helps with the fatigue factor.
    Grant
    '05 R1200GS
    Former owner of an '03 R1150R
    BMWMOA #113847

I just picked up a Tourmaster Sonora Air and it seems well made. It is the mesh version of the transition. It comes with 2 liners, a thermal and a rain which gives it alot of flexibility. For the price it is hard to beat.

glennhendricks

Olympia Airglide 2

Love this jacket in the summer. The liner is plenty warm when the morning temp is running around 38, pull the liner out and it is great at 100+ degrees.

I also have the matching pants and they've been great.

MisterMo

Olympia Bushwhacker....

The Bushwhacker is an Airglide, but with a longer, touring cut. Made of the same mesh material. Very cool in the summer.

Don't look at this!:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/detail.php?siteid=23545
    Last edited by MisterMo; 04-27-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    '93 R100GS/PD
    '09 R1200GSA

8. 04-28-2010, 04:09 AM

Reason
    posted in wrong area

If it's hot, humid and you expect rain and you are traveling some distance and carry only one jacket:
    BMW comfort shell. Nothing else.

Seeking Mental Floss
    I just got a new Vanson Vent Max 4 on Saturday, rode with it yesterday. I kept reaching up to ensure that it was zipped up, thinking it was not. But it was. Great airflow. Highly recommended.

Curmudgeon in training
    Quote Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
    I just got a new Vanson Vent Max 4 on Saturday, rode with it yesterday. I kept reaching up to ensure that it was zipped up, thinking it was not. But it was. Great airflow. Highly recommended.
    Does the Vent Max 4 have a waterproof pocket for you wallet? If so, is it a pretty sturdy pocket (take lots of opening and closing at gas stops)? I had called Vanson, but could never get a direct answer.

Seeking Mental Floss
    Quote Originally Posted by alzyck View Post
    Does the Vent Max 4 have a waterproof pocket for you wallet? If so, is it a pretty sturdy pocket (take lots of opening and closing at gas stops)? I had called Vanson, but could never get a direct answer.
    The Vanson Vent Max 4 is completely flow-through. It has only two small pockets, neither of which is waterproof. It does have shoulder and elbow armor which is substantial and leather coated. It has a removable foam back protector, which I have removed. I have a stand-alone rain liner from my Cortec GX-air, which also has a zip out liner, which I plan to pack on the bike in case of rain. The Vanson is only concerned with maximum air flow in a protective jacket. But, it does that VERY well!

donatelli
    The Venting Machine is ok. The Comfort Shell is not bad either, given the side zippers in the front and back. However, as many said, when it is hot, nothing is comfortable.

Given that I wear a jacket in any case, I sold the Venting Machine to buy an airflow leather jacket from AlpineStar which is no lesser comfortable than the Venting Machine, but definitely more protective in case of need.
    There are other air vent leather jackets from Dainese with a special "bubble" liner that increases comfort when very hot, plus very good style which does not hurt. I do not buy BMW gear anymore, definitely not competitive as for price here. In any case I prefer Dainese.
    Last edited by donatelli; 05-04-2010 at 09:21 PM.

I have had good luck with the Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket like the bloke a few posts before me. Modest price and helpful to have the panels and liner for when the winds shift and the 50 degree breezes come off Lake Michigan towards Chicago. I always found the key is to have some polypro type sweat wicking shirt on underneath to help with the cooling. Happy riding.
    Ex Chi-Town Boy.
    Patrick
    R1200 RT
    K100RS
    R90S