Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: for airplane lovers

Nice pics of Paine Field and some of Boeing's biggest...watching those Dreamlifters lumber down the runway is sort of interesting. As in, "is that monster EVER going to get airborne?"

Mr. Allen's collection is small compared to some museums, but it is very high quality. I never expected to ever see an Me 163 Komet anywhere but on cable TV. Well worth the trip to this exhibit for visitors to Seattle area.

Current schedule includes a "Luftwaffe Day" on August 6 with the intent to fly a Storch, a Me 109, and a Focke-Wulf 190.

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
    Nice pics of Paine Field and some of Boeing's biggest...watching those Dreamlifters lumber down the runway is sort of interesting. As in, "is that monster EVER going to get airborne?"

Mr. Allen's collection is small compared to some museums, but it is very high quality. I never expected to ever see an Me 163 Komet anywhere but on cable TV. Well worth the trip to this exhibit for visitors to Seattle area.

Current schedule includes a "Luftwaffe Day" on August 6 with the intent to fly a Storch, a Me 109, and a Focke-Wulf 190.

Cheers!
    As my post mentioned, we live about 10 miles south of Paine Field. When the wind is blowing from the north, most traffic to KPAE flies overhead - including the Dreamlifters. While we see plenty of large aircraft in the skies overhead - including lots of the new 747-800s - there is no doubt when a Dreamlifter is overhead. They are much louder than any other aircraft that routinely visits Paine Field - I'll presume because of their need to keep the engines at a relatively higher thrust to overcome all that aerodynamic drag. They are a very impressive sight flying low and slow on final approach.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

RTFlyer

A DC-4 that stopped overnight that's headed for Florida and will be standing by for oil dispersant duty. This aircraft participated in the Berlin air lift according to the pilot.

Fantastic shot of the A-10!
    09 R1200GS

See our Moto Photo's:http://raptor02.smugmug.com/

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Yankee Air Museum

Each year the Yankee Air Museum hosts a "Thunder over Michigan" event in July -- this year it's the 23rd and 24th -- with a range of aircraft from WWII to modern era. This aircraft was a "guest" at the event a few years back. I also had the pleasure to meet Guenther Rall who was one of Germany's highest scoring aces of WWII.

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images

Long Ago....

I used to be the Crew Chief of this aircraft.....
    2001 K1200LT "Zoot" RIP 10/14/2007
    2009 K1200LT "Angus"

Cartoon Bears never wear pants!!

Cool to see your jet.
    09 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by 2beers View Post
    I used to be the Crew Chief of this aircraft.....
    I used to repair those, Wurtsmith AFB Michigan and U-Tapao AFB Thailand. Gosh I am getting old, I forgot how to spell U-Tapao.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toooldtocare View Post
    I used to repair those, Wurtsmith AFB Michigan and U-Tapao AFB Thailand. Gosh I am getting old, I forgot how to spell U-Tapao.
    My mom (and her Masters in Art) was briefly a draftsperson for Boeing in the 1950's. Her responsibility was drawing up the designs of the ailerons for the KC-135.

Soon enough we'll see the B767 tankers rolling off the Paine Field assembly line, heading out to replace the KC-135s.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

F-4 Phantom

Chu Lai 1968

Like the Phantoms.
    09 R1200GS

I like F4s too, however these are what I worked on, along with KC-135s. U-Tapao 1968.

This F-4 was due to depart Bien Hoa on 31 January , 1968 for it's home base in Da Nang. It had diverted to Bien Hoa 3 weeks earlier due to battle damage. The repairs had been completed and it was fueled an armed ready for an early AM departure.

In the early morning hours of the 31st the Tet Offensive began. During the attack a 122mm rocket landed under the nose of the F-4 setting it on fire.

About 50 of us spent the early morning in a bunker about 100 meters from the burning plane and hoped that no bombs had been loaded...they weren't. However, listening to the 20mm rounds cook off was a little unnerving.

Ouch!