Thread: Busy Weekend

Busy Weekend

Engine Oil DIY added link here
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

looks like y'all had the weather for staying INSIDE for sure!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

DIY'ers

Luis
    As usual, a very good job. It is appreciated.
    The DIY'ers need to be careful on the oil filters. I purchased a package deal of several oil filters combined with crush washers and a wrench. The package was listed for both K1200GT and K1300GT's. The 1200 oil filter and the 1300 oil filter are different in size. The 1300 is about a 1/4" longer and a mm or two wider. The 1200 wrench supplied by this vendor will not fit on a 1300 filter.
    The other thing I would add is that I had better luck lifting the oil filter up and out rather than trying to get it to drop down and out. Also on installation of the new filter it drops down and in. This was my experience anyway.

Thanks again Luis,

Don S

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    looks like y'all had the weather for staying INSIDE for sure!
    Yeah I was considering cleaning the bike up for the shots but didn't want to take up the time

Quote Originally Posted by pakyohmeca View Post
    Luis
    As usual, a very good job. It is appreciated.
    The DIY'ers need to be careful on the oil filters. I purchased a package deal of several oil filters combined with crush washers and a wrench. The package was listed for both K1200GT and K1300GT's. The 1200 oil filter and the 1300 oil filter are different in size. The 1300 is about a 1/4" longer and a mm or two wider. The 1200 wrench supplied by this vendor will not fit on a 1300 filter.
    The other thing I would add is that I had better luck lifting the oil filter up and out rather than trying to get it to drop down and out. Also on installation of the new filter it drops down and in. This was my experience anyway.

Thanks again Luis,

Don S
    Don - thanks for the information about the filter sizes, I checked the parts fiche and the oil filters for the 1200 and 1300 are different.

I will update the DIY to make that note also mention the process for installing/removing the filter as I did the same thing.

Luis
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Also thanks to Don for the info on the tool not fitting for the 1300's, I was just about to go order one after viewing the DIY. Great job Semper Fi. I am just coming up on my first change since the 600 service and was curious about specifics.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    The old K100 oil filter wrench fits the 1300 filters...except that it is a bit too long where it covers the filter. The connect for the new bikes shifter was changed for 1300 and allowed more room for the filter (thus the new filter is longer...not sure if it is technically necsssary...probably just suppliers and cost again). Trouble is that the old filter tool from the K100, R1100/1150 bikes is a bit too long to get in there. The solution is to cut a bit off the old filter tool if you have one. Or use a strap filter removal tool.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

My Jesse dual filter cup for oilheads/hexheads wouldn't fit, so I got some Lisle pliers from the auto parts. Works on our S's way better than the strap style I tried.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait