Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio's Triple Nickel -- one way to Beemerville

Ohio's Triple Nickel -- one way to Beemerville

OK, this is an experiment.

I've taken some comments made here on the forum, done a little web research, and have written an article about a road that sounds good to ride to the Rally.

Note: I have not ridden this road. This article is intended for publication in the BMW ON and/or the The Rally Website, depending on what the Rally Publicity Chair (hi Ray!) wants to do.

And... the article is intended to spur continued discussion here on the Forum.

The reason for the experiment? To illustrate how the discussion that starts here on the Forum can be repurposed and used on the Rally web site and in our magazine.

It took me about 3 hours to write this, research included. It's raining here in Atlanta today... and I had a good time taking this virtual ride.

Anyone who has ridden this road is free to fill in the blanks.

Please enjoy the article!

Ian
    Last edited by Visian; 01-04-2005 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Change link to article posted on BMW MOA Rally Site
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Blocking the slow lane
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how bad the pavement quality is on 555. Its covered with flocks of locusts as well.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how bad the pavement quality is on 555. Its covered with flocks of locusts as well.
    I've read of gravel, and some rough surfaces... is it really that bad?

And I think locusts come in hordes, not flocks.

Locusts... now there's a challenge I hadn't thought of!

Ian

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar

Thumbs up

Mr. Diaz, when was the last time you rode 555? I don't believe the pavement quality is bad. There are a few sections it is not the greatest, but of course these change over the years. I've been able to run it reasonably hard even in the rain, sure my tires slip a bit here anf there, but the surface has traction or I could not have done that. I also have not seen locust on the road.

Visian, The surface is not bad. You have to watch out for the cinders used on the shoulders. After a rain it washes out in the road in corners, at interescting roads some of which are dirt which can wash out too. Use caution.

The biggest issue is the off camber, suddenly bends just over a rise. Use a conservative entry speed until you can see all the way through the turn.

Picture this, you are coming over a sharp rise from among the trees, and are given no indication there is a 110 degree, off camber right hander just over the rise as you decend. You can't tell because the trees ended for a field which you are about to go around. This is the peril of 555. Warning is given just so you don't get bitten. It is a GREAT ride, enjoy.
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

I rode this road and a whole bunch more in the area this past July.

Bouncin Bobs comments hit the nail on the head. Off camber, sudden bends etc.

Southeast Ohio has lots of riding to offer. I spent the 4th of July camping at Burr Oak S.P., which is right along 555 & 78 near Ringgold. We never ran out of twisties!

gsjay
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Burr Oak CG

Hey Jason, thanks for the info.

What was the state park like? Something worthwhile planning some time to walk around or fish? Or just a good overnight spot. I go for the primitive campsites.... less chance of motorhomes w/generators.

Any pics? (You, too, Bob & Jon...) I'd love to spruce up the article with more visual info.

Ian

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    Any pics? (You, too, Bob & Jon...) I'd love to spruce up the article with more visual info.

Ian
    I might have some print pictures left. I had written an article for the Lancaster OH RA rally (they never p[ublished, turns out they gave the same assignment to about 4 people), they needed print pictures so I took plenty. I'll see if I have the negatives or duplicates, maybe even find the article I wrote.
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

Quote Originally Posted by Visian
    Hey Jason, thanks for the info.

What was the state park like? Something worthwhile planning some time to walk around or fish? Or just a good overnight spot. I go for the primitive campsites.... less chance of motorhomes w/generators.

Ian
    The campground is typical State Park, small sites close together, not very warm and friendly. But they do have a 200 room resort that is very nice with a good restaurant & lounge. They also have cabins for rent that are nice.
    I'll look for some pictures this evening. I've got one of me and my GS sitting in a Coal bucket abandoned from some really big shovel! Neat picture.
    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay
    I have a picture of me & the GS up in the bucket but can't figure out how to post the shot. Help?
    Check out this thread on how to post pictures.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2021
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Not for the faint of heart

Last May, me and a buddy met two fellows from Eastern PA in Zanesville and took them down 555 to the river. It was typically rough, lots of gravel, and we even had a cow in the road at one point. When we stopped for gas in Marietta, one of the fellows made a comment about selling his bike and giving up riding. About a month later I saw the bike in the classifieds on the K12 forum. I hope his experience on 555 alone didn't turn him off of the sport! If you haven't ridden it before, you probably want to take it easy the first time. Other than that, it is an interesting road!
    John

Help

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn
    Check out this thread on how to post pictures.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2021
    Ok, I got the picture resized but can't figure out how to attach it. I tried the insert image icon but that really confused me?
    Help.
    gsjay
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Whoops. Looks like we need to update that thread on attaching images. Under the submit reply button there is a box called additional options. In there is one for Attach Files. If you attach a graphic file it should display.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Big Muskie Rt. 78 S.E. Ohio

My first image post, this is the bucket off of Big Muskie. It's now a roadside attraction along Rt. 78 in S.E. Ohio
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/OHCUMmuskie.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gsjay; 11-24-2004 at 11:23 PM. Reason: update comments
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa

Blocking the slow lane
    Quote Originally Posted by BouncinBob
    Mr. Diaz, when was the last time you rode 555? I don't believe the pavement quality is bad. There are a few sections it is not the greatest, but of course these change over the years. I've been able to run it reasonably hard even in the rain, sure my tires slip a bit here anf there, but the surface has traction or I could not have done that. I also have not seen locust on the road.
    Geez Bob, I thought my tongue-in-cheek comment was obvious enough for even a finance guy to recognize. Locusts?
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Thanks for the pic!

Quote Originally Posted by gsjay
    My first image post, this is the bucket off of Big Muskie. It's now a roadside attraction along Rt. 78 in S.E. Ohio
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/OHCUMmuskie.html

Thanks Jason, for the pic and the pointer. I will use the information to add to the article. Would you mind if I put the pic in your article? If not, could you please e-mail me a larger copy of the pic so that I can crop and scale? ians@bellsouth.net

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.