Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: headlight

Triangle of Light

Two lights down low with your headlight do much more than a bright headlight. It makes you look bigger and a triangle of light is odd, and gets people's attention. I run motolights on two of my bikes and HYper light LED market lights on the other.
    Bob Rippy
    IBA #451
    Tour of Honor Missouri State Sponsor
    14 R1200RT (currently parked) 07 R1200RT

Bob C
    Quote Originally Posted by MLS2GO View Post
    Two lights down low with your headlight do much more than a bright headlight. It makes you look bigger and a triangle of light is odd, and gets people's attention. I run motolights on two of my bikes and HYper light LED market lights on the other.
    It's geometry.. Single point of light there is no way to judge distance from..

Two points of light (car) you see the two lights you instinctively can ballpark distance to the car.

With MotoLights, though the distance between lights isn't known to most, still give you multiple points to judge distance from.

This is especially true at night.

Sometimes I go with just the running lights - eyebrow and turn signals. I can flick the "optical horn" as needed.
    Especially at night, some bikes with dual headlights can appear to be a more distant car - the lights are close together as with a distant car.

dhgeyer
    Being somewhat interested in the subject, I make a point of analyzing what I saw and when I saw it whenever a motorcycle approaches. For me, the two lights down low do absolutely nothing, and the flashers don't do any good either. I see the motorcycle, and then I notice the flashing or the extra lights.

Other than the bright headlights, which I do see at a much farther distance, the only configuration that helps is the lightbars that people put on cruisers, where you have three bright lights in a horizontal line right next to each other. I see those right away, if they're bright, and know exactly what they are.

Riders running with low beams, whether or not they have additional lighting, I often don't see right away, especially in bright, sunny conditions. I don't think headlights on motorcycles add much visibility at all unless they are very bright.

My perception may be different than the average car driver, since motorcycles are a subject of interest to me, and I tend to notice them anyway.

I also happen to believe that the process of seeing and knowing something is there is a lot more complex than just visibility. There's a lot that goes on, or has to go on, between the eye and the consciousness. I think we see things we are programed to see, or are expecting to see, or are threatening to us, more readily than other objects. For example, when was the last time you heard of anyone turning left or pulling out in front of a police motorcycle? I used to ride a big cruiser years ago, and with the hard saddlebags and the big windshield, and the white 3/4 helmet and aviator sunglasses I used to wear, people not only saw me, but really tended to avoid me.

These observations, and the accident that happened to us, make me a believer in bright light, about as bright as I can get it, on a motorcycle during the day. I also aim my headlight straight ahead, and not down a half degree or so as the owner's/service manuals instruct. As I said before, they might not like me, but they know I'm there.

[QUOTE=IAMBOB;560479]On the R1200RT don't all three headlights illuminate when the high beam is on? Or is it different year to year??
    /QUOTE]

Yes, when the high beam of an R1200RT is switched on, all three H-7 bulbs in the headlight are lit, i.e., the two low beams and the one high beam. When the high beam is switched off, the two outer H-7s are lit.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT