Thread: Boyer Digital Coil

Boyer Digital Coil

I found the instruction sheet on Boyer's web site and noticed that the kit for pre 1979 airheads is supposed to use a special digital coil. has anyone had experience with this coil? if so, where can it be purchased?

Excerpt from instruction sheet for Boyer KIT 000286:

KIT 00286
    MICRO-POWER IGNITION SYSTEM FOR B.M.W.PRE-79 MOTORCYCLES WITH 12 VOLT ELECTRICS THIS SYSTEM
    MUST BE USED WITH THE SPECIAL DIGITAL IGNITION COIL(S) TYPE COIL00008 ONE FOR SINGLE PLUG, TWO
    FOR TWIN PLUG FIRING, CONNECTED IN SERIES, EACH COIL FIRING BOTH CYLINDERS.

thanks!
    John Woods
    1976 R60/6

mymindsok
    Wow....

Thats news to me!

I bought an R-90/6 that had a screwed up cam tip and ran a Boyer for at least 20 years, using the stock coils and yy results were 100% good.

Good starting with temps down into the low 20s, no ping when running regular, and I didn't need to re-time the bike unless I changed the pick-up setting for some reason.

Installing the Boyer was one of the best things that I ever did to my bike. OTOH, maybe they've changed something huh?

I'm certainly glad to hear you've had a good experience. I'm hoping to get clarification from Boyer soon.
    John Woods
    1976 R60/6

Ok. This turned out to be confusion between me, Boyer's web site and my supplier. No digital coil needed for the "microdigital ignition" the "microPOWER" does require the digital coil.

Sorry for the goose chase!
    John Woods
    1976 R60/6