Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: One of the oddest road incidents I've experienced happened to me yesterday.

I've had cars pull up beside me at stop signs, but I am a small person on a small bike. They see there is room and decide to share. Yes, their move is illegal, but I'm not the one who is going to argue the point. I let them get ahead so I can see what they are doing. No sweat. I still get where I'm going just as soon as I would have anyway.

Holly

There are certainly nutzos out on the road. Today my wife and I were taking a walk along our well-traveled backroad, me in front with our dog on a leash. A car slows and parallels me for a while, window up. (I'm thinking, this person needs directions, but why doesn't she roll down the window?) Finally she does and says "can I talk to your dog?" Then it dawns on me. This is the same old lady who made the same request a few weeks ago.

That time, I was the nutzo who stood on the centerline with my dog on a very short leash while she "talked to my dog." Today I just said "my dog doesn't talk," and kept walking. It took some time before she finally slowly drove away.

Yes, I feel sorry for anyone who is so lonesome they have to stop their car in the middle of the road to talk to somebody's dog.

It was also a reminder to me that, when I cruise the backroads on my bike, I should add Old Dears to my list of John Deere's and real deer that can block my lane just past a blind corner.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    +1; I let them by.
    I agree. I want these types of motorists in front of me, whether I am riding a bike or driving a car.
    JD

I once had a car pull up into the lane with me. Two lane divided highway, he followed behind me normally at the posted 45 MPH for a couple miles. Then, without any warning or cause, he pulls up, right into the space my bike had just occupied. If I hadn't moved out of the way he'd have run over me.

The entire time there was a marked cruiser behind us. Right behind this guy. That could explain why I know we were going the speed limit. The cop saw it all and ticked the guy but geez! It was like I was invisible. Or worse, like I didn't matter. After that I started riding like they were out to get me because they were. OK, paranoid rant off but you sometimes have to wonder.
    John
    Current: '10 R1200RT Thunder Gray, '90 K75S Titan Blue

Past: '09 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, numerous Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, & Harleys

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jkbales View Post
    I once had a car pull up into the lane with me. Two lane divided highway, he followed behind me normally at the posted 45 MPH for a couple miles. Then, without any warning or cause, he pulls up, right into the space my bike had just occupied. If I hadn't moved out of the way he'd have run over me.

The entire time there was a marked cruiser behind us. Right behind this guy. That could explain why I know we were going the speed limit. The cop saw it all and ticked the guy but geez! It was like I was invisible. Or worse, like I didn't matter. After that I started riding like they were out to get me because they were. OK, paranoid rant off but you sometimes have to wonder.
    probably using a cell phone or maybe, worse, one of those texting idiots. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Cal
    Probably he resents that supposedly you pay less for your tag than he does for his car therefore he is entitled to your space

Had that conversation with an individual here in Sarasota who resented my taking a whole space. My response was that since I owned 3 motorcycles and 1 full size truck maybe I did own a larger share than he did. He shut up quick.

Best thing to do is give him room get out of his way and wish he tangles with the wrong individual.

Cal Garcia

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    Hmmmm....
    • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my right hard bag,
    • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my left hard bag,
    • A round BMWMOA sticker on my right hard bag, and
    • A round Lone Star BMW Riders sticker on my left hard bag.
    disgruntled former MOA member?

Rule one: In a fight with a Cadillac - 5,500lbs vs 600lbs the outcome is a given.

Rule two: Avoid the confrontation unless you're willing to accept the consequences.

Personally - I can understand getting pissed, but the second time he did it, I would have waved him by. Keeping him in front and keeping a reasonable following distance is as good a defensive move as you can make.

YMMV, but not a lot..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Exclamation Here is a clue...

In the first post you mentioned an "older man " and "wispy hair".

I will make you a bet that the person has a vision problem. Maybe a depth perception issue, and he does not realize how big his car is in relation to other lanes, bikes, etc. Maybe he aims the cage rather than driving it the way my father did in his last days of driving (we pulled his license and sold his car in a week) . Maybe a tune up on his tri-focals are in order.

In my tank bag, very accessible, is a small pad of paper and an allweather pen. Next time this happens, pull off to the side safely, note the license number, make of vehicle, time, place, ans what you were doing. Then call the Sheriffs Offices and alert them.

The important thing is that you are OK!
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

It was also a reminder to me that, when I cruise the backroads on my bike, I should add Old Dears to my list of John Deere's and real deer that can block my lane just past a blind corner.[/QUOTE]

Old Dears, John Deere's and real deers; I like that!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Originally Posted by mistercindy
    Hmmmm....
    A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my right hard bag,
    A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my left hard bag,
    A round BMWMOA sticker on my right hard bag, and
    A round Lone Star BMW Riders sticker on my left hard bag.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    disgruntled former MOA member?
    ADV Rider Forum poster!!
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Good thing you just got away from that nut job rather than confronting him. One never knows who's got a gun, especially in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    Hmmmm....
    • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my right hard bag,
    • A six inch vertical 3M reflective red tape on my left hard bag,
    • A round BMWMOA sticker on my right hard bag, and
    • A round Lone Star BMW Riders sticker on my left hard bag.

Pretty tame stuff. At least I think its tame.

Something got under that guy's skin about me or maybe motorcycles generally. All I can think of is that maybe he didn't like my being on the far right of the lane, and that was his way of saying "straighten up and fly right, and get into the middle of the lane where you belong." But still, what he did is a fairly dangerous little stunt on a highway. It just doesn't make sense.
    It's that "tea bag" hanging off your left turn signal that tricked his trigger! LOL

Len

Sure we do Bob... Everybody has them. Remember this is Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    Good thing you just got away from that nut job rather than confronting him. One never knows who's got a gun, especially in Texas.

DAMMIT KEVIN!!

You beat me too it!!
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?