Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The R1200R - Unappreciated by both BMW Riders and BMW Motorrad?

The R1200R - Unappreciated by both BMW Riders and BMW Motorrad

Kent,

I was the one who started this thread. I have owned two BMW's, a 2000 R1200C that I rode for two years and a 2005 R1200RT that I rode for five years.

... bikes for folks that want new and want the cheapest--they are obviously price leaders

I paid $10,000 for my R1200C, $21,000 for my R1200RT and $15,120 for the R1200R. If I wanted to go cheap, I would have purchased a F650. Price was not my factor for choosing the R1200R.

... bikes for folks whose next bike will have a fairing

I had a fairing on the RT and while I appreciated it for cold weather riding, I absolutely hated it for riding in the 90 degree temperature and 90 percent humidity that we have here in NC.

... bikes for city riding and not the long distance touring so favored by USA BMW owners. They are for sure better for city riding than the bikes with fairings.

I toured on my R1200C, I toured on my R1200RT and I intend to tour on my R1200R. I have the side cases on the R and I will put a seat bag/duffel bag on the rear seat, since I don't ride two up.

... difficult to distinguish from a GS, but for sure shorter

I don't understand this. The GS has an entirely different shape from the R. True, the R has a much shorter seat height than the GS, but it doesn't look anything like a GS, in my opinion.

... least intimidating ... as regards fear of falling over and damaging fairing

I would agree with Don. The R1200R is not necessarily less intimidating, but is a lot easier to ride, maneuver than the RT, LT, GS, especially if you only have a 29 inch inseam. If I was 6 foot 3 inch dude with a 36 inch inseam, perhaps I would have a different opinion. Like Don, I like to be able to see the ground in front and to the side of the bike, in case of potential obstacles. On the RT, every parking maneuver was a guess, especially if you are on tip toes, trying to maneuver the bike.

In starting this thread, it was not my intention to condemn others' choices of bikes. I have been enlightened by the renewed joy of motorcycling revealed to me by the R1200R. The RT just wasn't doing that for me anymore, because of the factors I have mentioned and others have seconded.

Caribbean Druid
    While not an R owner, I have ridden them and would agree that they don't get the good press they deserve. My wife and I are going to do the High Alps Edelweiss tour in 2011 and our bikes of choice will be Rs...

dhgeyer
    Sign me up as another former owner of a fully faired bike who won't own another one. Too hot in the Summer, harder to work on, more top heavy, and just not as much fun. I did 14000 miles last year, and will beat that this year easily. I'm planning a trip from NH to the West Coast for late Spring on my R12R. I live in New Hampshire. The R12R was delivered to me on January 20, 2010 with 11 miles on the clock. It has 1280 on it right now. I've done 150 miles on a day that never saw 32 degrees, and was as low as 20. I do have a modest windshield. With the proper gear there's no need to be cold, even on a naked bike. When it hits 85 or 90, there's no way I ever found to wear all the gear and stay cool on a faired bike, and I tried a lot of things including wet clothes and mesh. Still too hot.

As for cost, I paid cash, could have done the same for an RT. I didn't even look at the RT, since I knew it wasn't what I want.

The R12R has more than enough range. I can't imagine anyone not buying it because they thought the tank was too small.

I have no idea whether they're going to drop the R or not, but I'm sure happy with mine!

I wonder if they'll ever bring the F800R here? I bet I'd like one of those, too.
    Last edited by dhgeyer; 03-13-2010 at 12:32 AM.

I have owned three oilheads. My LEAST favorite was the 2002, R1150RT. It was too top heavy and I absolutely hated the power assisted brakes. The R1200C was fun to ride after I changed the handlebars and put a Russell seat on it.............but the bike that I wish I had not sold was the R1150 (naked and no ABS). It was a great bike and I sold it due to serious health problems I was having at the time and thinking that my riding days were over. I'm able to ride again and I'm on a nice airhead but I would consider a R1150 or R1200 again. It would be a shame if BMW dropped the R1200 from the line.

R1200R vs R1200RT

DH,

That is so true about the heat and the fairing on the RT. I ride with an Olympia Airglide jacket and BMW Venting Machine pants in the summer, but I have found no relief from the heat on the RT, due to the fairing. I kept looking at my controls for the air conditioner switch, when I went riding to Gatlinburg, TN, two summers ago. It was 97 degrees with 95% humidity. I thought I was going to lapse into heat stroke waiting for five minutes for a left turn arrow at a traffic signal.

My R1200R was delivered on Feb 18, 2010 and it seems we have had snow and rain ever since then. I rode to the dealer two weeks ago for the 600 mile service and the thermometer never got above 32.9 degrees. I had layered with polypro under my Savannah jacket and the Olympia pants have liners, so I was well protected from the cold.

The only thing that got cold was my fingertips. Even with glove liners, heavy gloves and the heated grips, I could not get my fingers warm at speeds above 60 mph.

Even so, I can live with cold fingers to be able to ride in comfort, once the heat arrives here.

I agree with you about the F800R. If you have the Touratech Streetline catalog, check it out on pages 90 and 91. That one looks like a GS without the boxer engine. I don't know what the seat height is, probably 35 inches. I would be willing to try one, if they offered a low version.

Bill
    Last edited by fastdogs2; 03-12-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by fastdogs2 View Post
    DH,

The only thing that got cold was my fingertips. Even with glove liners, heavy gloves and the heated grips, I could not get my fingers warm at speeds above 60 mph.

Bill
    I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves last fall, mostly because I was wearing so many layers of clothing that I nearly strangled myself. Insulation is great but heated clothes are better, not to mention much thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves last fall, mostly because I was wearing so many layers of clothing that I nearly strangled myself. Insulation is great but heated clothes are better, not to mention much thinner.
    And handguards will do lots to help with cold fingers. Even better are the sort of hippo hands that Wunderlich now offers for hexheads. I have nice warm hands with thin gauntlet gloves and never turn the heated grips off low.. with temps in the high 20's low 30's.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5..._Code=R1200R-C

For more info on adding handguards to the R12R - see:

http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19696

Did I mention I love this bike?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

BTW - Wunderlich also has available some easily mounted handguards..

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5..._Code=R1200R-C

One of the R1200R forum members got them I think..

The mount fastens using the mirror mounting. Simple to do I would guess..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Come to think of it, I've toured my whole life on nothing but a "standard" or "dual purpose/sport".

Riders ought to worry less about what they're on and instead think of where they've been.

Quote Originally Posted by dhgeyer View Post
    Sign me up as another former owner of a fully faired bike who won't own another one. Too hot in the Summer, harder to work on, more top heavy, and just not as much fun.
    I've driven in very hot temperatures and its bad enough having hand protectors on my dual sport.

I had one very heavily clad tupperware sport bike...notice I said ''one". What a procedure to get to anything.

And in the end, I want to feel like I an riding a motorcycle, not a car.

Good question. I had an R100S and an R100RS; everyone called them sport tourers at the time. My R12RT is far more capable in every way; faster; quicker; better on the long hauls; handles as well in most situations, better in many, less well in some. Maybe it's the height of the handle bars that earn a bike the Sport Tourer designation, or perhaps it's the set back of the pegs. Perhaps Sport Tourers are not allowed to have adjustable windshields or radios. This is very perplexing . Guess we'll just have to decide for ourselves.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

"Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

MotoFly

Maybe my next bike?

I have less experience to go on than others posting, so I don't know about the R-R being underappreciated, except to agree that I see almost no advertising for it and, as others have commented, no head-to-head write-ups with other naked bikes. I like the look, and I do see a few around south Florida, where our heat and humidity make fairings less useful for much of the year. I wrote in a few weeks ago, currently riding a Thumper GS (which I'll keep) asking about the R850R--the appeals are similar, of course--as a way of getting into R-bikes. Yesterday, we had the opportunity at BMW of Miami to meet Nate Kern, and I mentioned the 850; he agreed that the bike, especially given its price point now, is a good way into a bike with tele- and para-; then he added that I should look at the R1200R as a way to get all of the latest technology, price aside.

Very nice guy, Nate; he is down at Homestead speedway right now sharing the track with local riders. Not an R1200R, however!

Maybe my next bike

TGoodmann,

Not exactly a magazine write up, but here is a video comparing the R1200R with the Moto Guzzi 1200, another naked bike with similar riding characteristics.

Disregard the commercial in the first part. I don't know if you can eliminate that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQWt68Iul8

Bill

MotoFly

R12R vs Guzzi vid on YouTube

Bill,

That's funny; late last night I found the same video, and had to eat my words. I couldn't say for certain, but perhaps the roadster goes over better in Europe than it does here; the R850 in various configurations, including C and RT, lasted through 2006 over there. The reviewer seemed to prefer the R1200R to the Moto Guzzi, didn't he? The more I think about the bike, the more I want one! thanks for the link.

Tom