Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camping cookware

When it's just me I use just the jetboil and I eat out of that and make my coffee in it too. For two up I used an old MSR cookset with some origami plates.
    I saw this at EMS last night and I am going to get this for two up traveling.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp...737364.3693343

It has pretty much everything you need. I will still use my jetboil for my stove.

I don't do any cooking when I'm bike touring, but for backpacking I have two different stoves. For long hikes, where pack weight is critical, I use one of those spider type, super light, MSR (Mountain Safety Research) stoves. For weekend hikes, I use a heavyish Coleman Peak One. It simmers really well, and is the best stove I've ever used.

But I understand the newer MSR's simmer well.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I've been using an old multi-fuel MSR (G/K) for about 30 years. No problems, easy to get fuel, easy to start, burns very hot, and very stable. I just leave the pump/valve assembly in the Sigg fuel bottle all the time and have never had an issue with fuel leaking or spilling. Best investment I've ever made. For pots, I just have a folding non-stick frying pan and a non-stick aluminum 3 quart sauce pan with a lid from the local K-Mart (handle removed for easier packing).

The only problem with the MSR is the lack of a good "simmer". For this, I have a metal disk that is placed under the pan to help distribute the heat to avoid hot spots.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

SteverStove $9.00 or make your own.

criminaldesign
    same here with not carrying cook ware or dinner. Make a run while setting up a spot for the evening or ronald's dollar menu. I do treat myself every once in a while. Bagels have proved to be good and don't get squished.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    same here with not carrying cook ware or dinner. Make a run while setting up a spot for the evening or ronald's dollar menu. I do treat myself every once in a while. Bagels have proved to be good and don't get squished.
    I enjoy making a meal while camping personally. It just seems like part of the adventure.

Cal
    My wife and I carry in one saddlebag liner, 2 campstoves (MSR Simmerlite and Svea123R) 1 container with white gas, MSR nesting pots, 1 skillet, Bieletti expresso maker, ss plates, utensils, spices, etc. Our two ss insulated cups do everything from cold to hot liquids comfortably.

We do travel in two bikes so we have plenty of room.

We do not look for lightweight, but practicality. We like white gas because we can purchase in any hardware store..

We do buy groceries when we reach a location and always carry soup like the Glaves.

Why do we do this? It is great to eat at camp nice meals by the fire instead of having to hunt for restaurants or whatever.

Cal Garcia

criminaldesign
    this is the extent of the usual cooked dinner while on the road. Ether is a nice firestarter.
    From New Album 12/19/08 10:12 PM

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    this is the extent of the usual cooked dinner while on the road. Ether is a nice firestarter.
    From New Album 12/19/08 10:12 PM
    Mmmmm..... wood cooked food.....
    That is always the first choice but I have been to a lot of campsites and especially rallies where they don't allow fires.

More Info on the Trangia

In and earlier post I suggested the Trangia cooking system. When I was researching cooking equipment, I couldn't find specific size information. This afternoon I put together this video which describes the Tangia 27 including it's packed dimensions. Maybe this information may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFywHOCKH8M
    Gail Kaltz
    1997 GS