Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motorcyclesuperstore.com

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Talk about "paying for the container"!
    Yeah, but it's got a really pretty $8 'filler hose!'
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    $16 a quart!!!!! When Mobile 1 V Twin is $8.99 a quart???
    Ah, but pay attention--this stuff comes in liters, not quarts!

So, $16.99 for a liter of 10W-40 is actually 16.99/1.056688 = $16.07 per quart, practically a bargain.

More relevant, of course, is 15W-50 which is $17.95/liter = $16.99 per quart, again nearly a bargain.

And, in the 4-liter jug it's only $15.36 per quart ... now we're talking!

This is only 15.36 - 12.99 = $2.37 more per quart than the Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W-50 I'm currently using and which BMW recommends.

And a boxer engine is certainly worth more than a V-twin so why not the oil?

I mean, it's just wrong to put V-twin oil in a boxer, isn't it?

It may be just as wrong filling with quarts as it would be using inch-size wrenches, too.

On the plus side, I guess, the V-twin stuff would have to be able to deal with serious heat issues due to that engine's poor design.

I searched for the 10W-50 4T Mobil 1 that's found in Europe and which I thought Triumph dealers might have, but couldn't find it. I'd use that if I could. Yes, it's Mobil and not mobile.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Hah, Kent, you got me on "Mobil." Dang it!

I don't want to change this to an oil thread, but I just don't buy that the expensive oil is better than the Mobil(e) 1. And the overheating of the V-twin is one good reason to use it in a boxer. It meets/exceeds the specs.

But I enjoyed reading your arguments!

Rob
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Back to the topic, MC Superstore.

MCS quit sending coupons out about 4 years ago. The 10% off an order, etc. type. They send out ADS, but not general coupons.

So I just placed an order with them for about $1600. I needed a lot of gear, especially dirt bike gear.

When they emailed my receipt, they included a code for 10% off my next order! And, salt in the wound, it is only good for 30 days. So, you can imagine my frustration. I dump $1600 with them and I get a 10% off coupon I can't use because it will be a while until I need to order anything else.

I called to cancel the order and told them why. They took 10% off this order, so all is good. But I think that is a crappy marketing idea. At least send me a coupon that is good for a year.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or21 View Post
    I've worked with motorcycle superstore for several purchases, from tires to apparel. I've always gotten exactly what I asked for, and often earlier than predicted. They're a well-run company.

Their outlet is 2 miles from my office

They are incredibly supportive of the local bike scene and all around great people.

I got a brand new Kilamanjaro jacket from them this past summer for $130 out the door. If any of you ever come through Louisville, stop by. I bet you walk out with something!
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

It's funny, my one and only experience with MC Superstore was one of my worst Internet buying experiences ever. Got the wrong item, their mistake, and when I called to get a replacement set up, I was met with absolute disinterest. It was clear that, on two separate calls, with two separate individuals, they coundn't care less whether I ever got my order straightened out or not. I was invited to return the the item that they had mistakenly sent me, clear from looking at the original order and the shipping invoice that they had simply sent the wrong item, at my own expense. After they got it back, they would decide what to do next, possibly then refunding my shipping and sending out the right item. Not even an offer to send the right item immediately at my expense and credit me later. Nope, I had to wait for them to get the first item back.

Forget that! Living in a small community with few local resources, I do a lot of Internet buying. Occasionally mistakes happen. It's just part of doing business long distance. I have no problem with that. But with all of the sources out there, competition demands that customer service be top notch. It was the lax attitude that convinced me to never ever do businessheston these guys again. Sounds like I'm the only one that ever had that experience, but I think I will still just take my business elsewhere.