Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you carry your SPOT?

Caribbean Druid

Where do you carry your SPOT?

True Story:
    A good friend of ours (another MSF RiderCoach and factory demo rider) was on a cross-country trip last year when he had a catastrophic blow-out of his front tire while on the interstate at 70 mph. After all the crashing and carnage had come to a stop, he found himself lying in the median strip, some distance from his bike. He was conscious but unsure of his physical condition. Fortunately he had his SPOT on his person, rather than attached to the bike. He was able to reach the SPOT without significant bodily movement and activate the distress beacon. Help arrived almost immediately. He was transported to a local hospital and kept overnight for observation, then managed to walk out the next day. (Something to be said for good, full protective gear here, as well...).

The point of this is that if the SPOT had been on the bike, he would have been forced to move to it to call for help. In a worst case scenario, he might not have been able to reach the SPOT at all. This taught me an immediate lesson, as I used to carry my SPOT on the bike. Now I carry it on my person.

So, where do you carry your SPOT?

Rally Rat
    I use the Spot in tracking mode to update friends and family of my whereabouts in real time.

Got tired of buying AAA lithium batteries which only last a few days in tracking mode, so I modified my Spot to run off USB power.

Therefor it lives in the map window of the tank bag.

Mine's normally in my sea-bag which I take along when on the boat... I have brought it on bike trips, but it usually lives in the luggage. My helmet has a SENA SMH10 and my iPhone will dial by voice command, so I guess all's good there. I'd have to hunt for it, but I think someone made "an app for that"..... If you crash the phone auto-dials 911

Since this appears to be so far a private conversation ...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Mines mostly on the bike though I have used the the strap on my arm before with no problems but always felt that if I had a get off the arm strap would separate from me too I ride in many areas that have no cell phone coverage so that is really not an option.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

na1g
    Do you want responders to find the bike... or you? You could end up quite far from the bike under the right (wrong?) circumstances. I don't have a Spot but probably should, and will have one before my next trip - in my jacket pocket.

pete
    Teachers make every other occupation possible.

Rally Rat
    If I was interested in self-preservation I wouldn't be riding a motorcycle

But seriously... For off-road use a Spot should most definitely be worn and not mounted on the bike.

However I think the chances of me crashing and immobilized and not being seen by another human with a cell phone are slim to none. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself!)

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I don't have one, either. But if I did, and I have considered it, it would be in the left chest pocket of my Stitch. Hopefully activat-able without having to remove it if it had to be. The roads I ride on my regular 'commute' have limited cell reception, but ample areas where a bike and rider could disappear and all the dust settle before another vehicle came along. I do carry my cell phone in my jacket pocket, along with all ID, etc. I have one of the forarm document velcro attachments, but only use it for notes or directions as like above, I figure it would be ripped off in an event.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

If you crash on an interstate; particularly in Florida, you're going to have first responders around you pretty quickly; with or without a Spot.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

I live in Fl. and try to stay away from the Interstates as much as possible.
    Knick
    F800GS
    Vespa ET4

na1g
    Besides possibly saving your bacon, the Spot provides an easy way of keeping your loved ones aware of your location and health. Plus it's fun tracking you on a long trip.

There's a review of SPOT in the April Motorcycle Consumer News, BTW.

pete

I have the first generation Spot and you are supposed to have it horizontal for best satellite reception and transmission. I use it in tracking mode on most trips so it lives in the map pocket of the tank bag because on my body it wouldn't work well. I just have to accept that if I need to hit the button for myself that I need to reach the bike.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Since this appears to be so far a private conversation ...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/
    I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for that post!

When I'm flying I carry it clipped to my parachute rig - I want them to find me hanging in the tree and not the smoking hole for the plane. On the bike I put it under the window of my Motorrad tank bag but I'm also usually riding with other people so being unable to reach it isn't as important. For me solo rides, it probably would make more sense to put it on my jacket somewhere. Thanks for the awareness post!
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

I think if it is on your person, there is a probability that it would be destroyed in a crash. It might be destroyed on the bike, but probably not.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90