Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question for Colorado Riders

Question for Colorado Riders

On my wat to Redmond, I'm planning to ride through CO. I was planning to take US-40 into Utah, my question is,
    - Is US-40 a good ride?
    - Is plenty of Gas available along the way?
    - Is it paved all the way thru?

Thanks
    Ksport
    KSport
    2007K1200RSport

US40 is paved. Traffic around Steamboat Springs can be a handfull at times.

bob

Thanks advenbob, is it pretty straight OR curvy. If you've a choice what will you take US 40 OR I-70.
    KSport
    2007K1200RSport

Start from the front range around Ft. Collins, travel through Rocky Mtn Nat Park, and pick up US 40 around Granby and then head west to Utah. A nice ride with opportunities for side trips. I-70 is ok if you have locations along the route you wish to visit. Currently it is closed in Glenwood Canyon due to some rock slides. It is fun to zip through Glenwood Canyon, or at least until they installed photo/video and wait for you at the other end with an award.

Or, take hwy 14 west starting just outside of Ft. Collins and follow to US 40. A very nice ride.

There are places along I-70 that are interesting to visit. Travel up Mt Evans (highest paved road in the US- 14,200 something), Vail, Aspen if you need to spend some $$$, Glenwood Springs for the pool, very nice, etc, but once you are heading west from Grand Junction into Utah, you will become very lonely. A very nice area, but lonely.

Have fun

bob

Thanks Bob
    KSport
    2007K1200RSport

Gas;

Its kind of rare to go more than a 100 miles without gas stations, even out here in the West. BUT, know your gas tank mileage well, because its a common error easterners make, travelling out West. There are some big gaps, between towns. If you travel the back country roads, even more so...KNOW your limitations, mpgs! Int.70, even through Utah, is a very pretty ride. Colorado too. One of the prettier Interstates you'll ever ride on in these two states. The Northern 40 route is a fine trip too. Its hard to pick a bad route out here. Randy

ksport... U.S 40 is fine. Good advice above. It is mostly sweeping, and the further west you go, the more lonely it is. I kinda like this. If you have time, check out the Harper's Corner Road leading into Dinosaur National Monument near the Utah border. There's also other side journeys off U.S. 40 if you have the time. Food, gas, and lodging are available in most towns, including in Utah. The Strawberry Reservoir area east of Heber City, UT is good riding country. For a sweet diversion in Utah, locate UT 35 heading west a few miles north of Duchesne. It roughly parallels U.S. 40, taking you towards Park City, and is two wheel excellent.

Caution!!! Previous replies are setting up an ambush for unsuspecting easterners. US 40 is DIRT and is patrolled by vengeful NATIVE AMERICANS on spotted horses using tire spike strips to stop two wheeled interlopers. Gas is dispensed by crippled up cowboys from rusty steel barrels. Use Caution at all times. This is the WILD WEST.

Thanks guys. Currently getting around 190 miles from a tank. That is all mountain riding in Westren NC. I'm hoping hwy will be little better. I've driven I70 multiple times from Denver to I-15 and then I-15 to Salt Lake City. That's why I was looking for an alternate route.
    On my way back I'm heading out to the Coast and then coming via washington, Montana, WY (yellowstone), then thru SD and back.
    KSport
    2007K1200RSport

Quote Originally Posted by azduc View Post
    Caution!!! Previous replies are setting up an ambush for unsuspecting easterners. US 40 is DIRT and is patrolled by vengeful NATIVE AMERICANS on spotted horses using tire spike strips to stop two wheeled interlopers. Gas is dispensed by crippled up cowboys from rusty steel barrels. Use Caution at all times. This is the WILD WEST.

I'm an Indian so they don't bother me.
    KSport
    2007K1200RSport

Ksport:

You might consider the southern Colorado route. You could take Hwy 50 across, that'll take you over Monarch Pass, by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and real close to the Million Dollar Hwy that runs south of Ouray and on to Durango. Then the 4-corners region with Mesa Verde.
    Or, run across Hwy 160 way south. Takes you from Walsenburg (at Hwy 160 and I-25), where you could hit Hwy 12 (The Scenic Highway of Legends....beautiful), run over to Alamosa in the San Luis Valley (go see the Sand Dunes....700' high) and on west over Wolf Creek Pass, over to Durango, then to the 4-corners and across into Utah.

Southern Colorado is a bit less traveled than northern Colorado, so you'll encounter less traffic but still have outstanding views!

Ride safe
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Piperjim, thanks for the suggestion, I may either go thru there or comeback that way definately. What is the gas situation along the route?
    Thanks
    KSport
    2007K1200RSport

Ksport:

No problems with gas along the southern Colorado route. The longest stretch on Hwy 160 w/o gas is probably no more than 40 miles, and nearly every little community off the highway will have gas.

You could also drop down to Northern New Mexico.....Taos, Angelfire, Chama, Questa, Arroyo Hondo, Taos Mountain..

Oh, there are just too many choices. Better plan on an additional month!!!

piperjim
    Piperjim

'95 R1100RS
    '61 John Deere 3010 LP

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    [QUOTE=piperjim;572961]Ksport:

You could also drop down to Northern New Mexico...../QUOTE]

A friend and myself decided to do just that on a side trip away from three other riders on the way to 4 Corners last year. Great riding until we took a few wrong turns during a flash rainstorm. Now I know what they mean about flash floods! Had to wallow the RT through a couple of feet of red mud and water that was a 'dry wash'.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

US 40 to Rally

Our club, Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Riders Club, RMMRC.org is taking Highway 40 to Ogden on the way to the Rally. We'll be leaving the 10th from Denver and I know you would be more than welcome to join us. Let me know if you're interested. Steve