Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Notice of theft, NW

535IS
    Here; this oughta' keep it auto-bumped for awhile:

Why don't you sue them?

Yarddog
    Quote Originally Posted by doktortim View Post
    I see. Indeed, the Sam Browne belt is perfect for the duty officers, in fact Langlitz has supplied a great many to motorcycle officers since the 50's. All custom fitted for such purposes.
    My main leather riding jacket has Sam Browne keepers...and you're right, a lot of classically designed jackets have these loops... I was never a motor officer, never will be, so they are superflous, but...that's the style!!!

advrider.com
    Must have been a special jacket..

Edit: Holy crap, how many threads do you need to start about this?
    Last edited by crazydrummerdude; 03-11-2010 at 09:32 AM.

am I missing something here??? is this a expensive jacket? I've never heard of it... would only a Motorcyclist wear one?
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

These are old school, new construction, purpose built for motorcyclists by a motorcyclist. Yes they are expensive. They are very heavily built with first quality materials and construction in a small shop here in Portland. Last I heard there was a 6 month waiting list for tailored gear.

I think it was a Schott jacket that Brando had.
    http://www.schottnyc.com/about.cfm

I have a Langlitz cowhide jacket and pants built for me in 1981. Ross was a stickler for quality and detailing. I would argue that Langlitz gear is the best in the world. I would have preferred goat leather, but at the time they explained that they couldn't get goatskin that was up to their standards, because the best had been coming from Iran, and the doors had just been slammed.

I don't recall exactly what I paid for my leathers, but I'm thinking in the ball park of $1,000 in 1981. The last time I stopped by, prices were up almost double.

The shop is small, and some time ago they made a decision to keep it small. They build (as I recall) a maximum of 800 garments a year. If you think you want one custom made, you go and get measured, in the position you would normally be on your type of machine. Then you wait in line. A year or two later, the phone will ring. They are ready to build your garment. Are you still the same size? Want any details changed?

Within a week, your garment will be ready for pick-up or shipping.

And, if you're just in too much of a hurry to wait a year or two, feel free to go somewhere else.

Somewhere on the walls I recall reading an old newspaper article describing an incident in Paris. A rider had taken his female companion to a famous night club, but they found a waiting line stretching around the block. To make sure this was really the line to get in, they walked up to the entrance. The doorman explained that yes, it would be hours before they could get in. Then he suddenly noticed the rider's jacket. "Say, isn't that a Langlitz you're wearing? "Yes." "Well, we can't have a Langlitz man waiting in line. You can come right in."

I'm not surprised that riders in mid or right America won't know about Langlitz leathers. But Langlitz is well known in the Northwest. I've had the jacket rebuilt once. Still fits and works like new--29 years later.

pmdave
    Attached Images Attached Images

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    am I missing something here??? is this a expensive jacket? I've never heard of it... would only a Motorcyclist wear one?
    A few people wear them cause they think they are stylish. Neil Young once outfitted his whole band for a tour. Dice Clay wore one on stage and started a mini-craze back in the 90's. Lots of celeb's and wannabees got them.

But the vast majority are used by biker's who actual log lots of miles. That is the focused market.
    Last edited by doktortim; 03-14-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    More background info here:

http://www.people.com/people/archive...117573,00.html

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...?story_id=4552

Ok, now you've jogged my memory. I now remember seeing adds for Langlitz Leathers in Motorcycle Magazines. Dang, they have been in business a long time...
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

E_Page
    Tim,

Is there anything on the exterior that ould identify this jacket from the knockoffs (it seems like a heavily copied style), or anything that would help identify this particular jacket, maybe a PLSO or CLSA pin?

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Page View Post
    Tim,

Is there anything on the exterior that would identify this jacket from the knockoffs (it seems like a heavily copied style), or anything that would help identify this particular jacket, maybe a PLSO or CLSA pin?
    As described in the original post, dark brown, not black, and the exterior pockets have light brown trim along the zippers. Big belt loops with brass snaps around the waste. Man's medium to small. Custom tailored for me and I'm a 39L. No patches or pins or anything like that ever on it while I had it.

By the way, Evan. Didn't know you were BMWMOA. What model do you ride? Don't suppose you are planning to be at the big rally this July in Redmond, OR?? If you are, bring your calibrated boots and you can help me lay out the roads through the camping areas. It will be a compass and pace job, very high 4th order closures.

E_Page
    As described in the original post, dark brown, not black, and the exterior pockets have light brown trim along the zippers. Big belt loops with brass snaps around the waste. Man's medium to small. Custom tailored for me and I'm a 39L. No patches or pins or anything like that ever on it while I had it.

By the way, Evan. Didn't know you were BMWMOA. What model do you ride? Don't suppose you are planning to be at the big rally this July in Redmond, OR?? If you are, bring your calibrated boots and you can help me lay out the roads through the camping areas. It will be a compass and pace job, very high 4th order closures.
    High 4th Order?! Heck, I can pace that good! I don't know yet if I will be there. If I go to a rally this year, I'll only be able to make time for one, and I'm trying to decide whether that will be the one in Mariposa (3 hr ride) or the one in Redmond (13 +/- hr ride). Whichever one I go to, I'll likely be bringing my son (8 y.o.), so Mariposa is looking a little more likely at this point.

I joined MOA about a year and a half ago and ride an '02 RT.

When did you move to Portland? Is there work there?

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Page View Post
    High 4th Order?! Heck, I can pace that good! I don't know yet if I will be there. If I go to a rally this year, I'll only be able to make time for one, and I'm trying to decide whether that will be the one in Mariposa (3 hr ride) or the one in Redmond (13 +/- hr ride). Whichever one I go to, I'll likely be bringing my son (8 y.o.), so Mariposa is looking a little more likely at this point.

I joined MOA about a year and a half ago and ride an '02 RT.

When did you move to Portland? Is there work there?
    Moved back here about 3 years ago. I saw a local ad for a survey tech last week. First I've seen of anything survey since a few last year. It is just as dead as the Carter years were.

E_Page
    Moved back here about 3 years ago. I saw a local ad for a survey tech last week. First I've seen of anything survey since a few last year. It is just as dead as the Carter years were.
    Man, that opens it up for political comment, but I'll refrain.

Same here as to the dearth or work. I've all but closed up shop. One RS in the works. I saw the writing on the wall and went to work for State Lands. No field work (I miss that), but the projects are (mostly) interesting and the pay is steady, so no real complaints.

Hope to see you at an event sometime. And I hope that jacket finds its way back to you. Take care.