Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skene Design Photon Blasters

This is good stuff; thanks for all the input. Jerry, or anyone else......do you know if anyone has mounted the Photon Blaster on an R1200GS in a location other than the brake calipers? I was thinking of mounting a set up a little higher.
    2007 K1200LT/Hannigan - Blue
    2012 R1200GS Rallye Edition
    1973 R75/5 Toaster LWB - Black

Some GS customers have mounted them on engine guards, like the F650 on this page:

http://skenedesign.com/lights/PB_F650.shtml

__________________________________________________ ____
    Motorcycle Visibility Lighting systems: Can You See Me Now?

Happy, daily commuter on an R12R with P3 lights out back and Photo Blasters out front. Great products.
    Bill Webster
    2013 K 1600 GT
    2009 R 1200 R alumnus

Installed Photon Blasters on my 08 RT a few weeks back.

Had a freak problem with the first set- modulator didn't work so installed LEDs didn't operate. At that point I made an error not covered in the instructions for the unit that others shouldn't repeat. Because my VOM showed the modulator wasn't providing voltage to the LEDs I simply bypassed it and wired the LEDs direct. They worked fine for a few minutes but then some of the leds in each cluster burned out. Jerry says the current limiting function of the modulator is necessary to protect the leds from burnout.....Wish I'd know that ahead- would have saved an "uninstall" of the LED clusters and wiring.

Anyway, Jerry replaced the defective modulator and graciously replaced the LEDs without charge, also. Second set works very well. When group riding those in front say it makes it very easy to see the bike behind even at longer distance and I have already observed a couple young cagers who might have tried the fast pull out in front of me go for their brakes instead. They are plenty bright enough for day and night use. So I put them in the "cost effective" category for front end conspicuity. My bike also has Trail Tech HIDs up front but they make lousy conspicuity lights due to the short bulb life (400 hrs rated but I've never gotten one that far yet) and high cost ($75-90) for the bulbs. The Photo Blasters are a lot cheaper than Motolights where all the $ is in the lamp housing and a cheap bulb is used. If the LED clusters on the Blasters prove durable in rain and road grit impacts, they're the better choice but I'll need a year of riding to tell that for sure. I haven't asked but I'm sure Jerry supplies replacement LED clusters if needed and it would be possible to change led clusters without removing all the previous wiring with a little cut/solder/reinsulate work down near the brake caliper.

The RT install is a bit fussy if you don't have all the plastic off the headlight area (if you can't change headlight bulbs without pulling the plastic you probably ought to pull it to put Blasters on the RT) but is doable simply by pulling the mirrors, windshield and spreading the housing open a bit unless you have very large hands (Mine are size 9). You will want a lot more short 4" cable ties than supplied and a handful of 8" cable ties to do a "factory neat" job. I also sheathed the LED leads in heat shrink to provide more physical protection to the small gauge wires and allow the cable ties a better purchase for holding the wires in place. Used 3/32 and 1/8 inch sizes for that. I housed the connectors inside a small bit of loom to provide them additional physical protection, also. Though I live in a warmer climate these days, I prefer to do installations like I still live in the land of mud and ice- they last the life of the machine if done right.

Summary - good product, good service, worthwhile addition to the bike. Recommended.

racer7:
    Glad your Photon Blasters are helping to keep you safe.

On the RT, there should be no need to remove any plastic from the bike to install the lights. The connector that carries the parking light wire used to power the Photon Blaster control module is accessible on the rear wall of the R1200RT headlight shell. This is slightly to the right of the center of the motorcycle and has several wires going into it. It can be accessed by turning the handlebars fully to the left, then reaching in the right side of the headlight area to locate the connector. Push down on the plastic tab on its upper side and unplug it. You attach one of the gray/red Positap connectors to either of the two blue/white wires.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Motorcycle Visibility Lighting systems: Can You See Me Now?

Quote Originally Posted by jskene View Post
    racer7:
    Glad your Photon Blasters are helping to keep you safe.

On the RT, there should be no need to remove any plastic from the bike to install the lights. ........
    You're right. I installed them on my '08 RT a couple weeks ago, and I did not have to remove a single piece of plastic.