Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skene Design Photon Blasters

Skene Design Photon Blasters

Would like to increase daytime visibility on the front of a R1100RT that I recently purchased and am considering the Photon Blasters by Skene Design. Anybody have any input or experience with these lights. Or other suggestions. Bill Shaw did an impressive write up on the product for Mororcycle Consumer News back in the January Issue. I do not ride at night and have no need for the big $ lighting options that are available.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 42016 View Post
    Would like to increase daytime visibility on the front of a R1100RT that I recently purchased and am considering the Photon Blasters by Skene Design. Anybody have any input or experience with these lights. Or other suggestions. Bill Shaw did an impressive write up on the product for Mororcycle Consumer News back in the January Issue. I do not ride at night and have no need for the big $ lighting options that are available.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    I bought some about a week ago for my '08 RT, but I have not yet installed them. The instructions are very clear; my only concern is having enough room to put the wire taps onto the parking light wires. When things slow down at work I hope to install them.

Jerry is a member of our local club - BMWBMW - and several members have these lights. Many happy customers, and glowing reviews. No pun intended.
    Seriously, the visibility enhancement is impressive. If you attend one of our tech days, (a short ride from Maine) you may have the designer himself assist with the installation.

I have asked any members with the lights to post feedback here if possible.
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

Here is a link to the site:
    http://www.skenedesign.com/lights/

I don't have them but I have seen them on other bikes and they work exceedingly well, look pretty simple to install as well.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

I have the Photon Blasters mounted on an 07GT and think they work exceptionally well.

Since the time the lights were installed I have noticed a significant decrease in other drivers cutting into my right-of-way (either left turners or lane encroachers) and I commute in the relatively heavy traffic of Northern Virginia.

They are very reliable, I have not encountered any significant issues. What few issues I encountered were promptly redressed by the owner in a top-of-the line fashion. You can bank on the owner's integrity.

I imagine I have put at least 100,00 miles of mixed use (commuting, touring, IBA rides, etc.) so they have lasted at least that long in however many hours the mileage represents and through all sorts of weather.

I would buy them again without reservation.
    IBA # 31809
    2007 K1200GT

I like it...

I like the way these look and they aren't "break the bank" expensive, I just may
    try a set myself. I wonder how they are rigged to a CANBUS system? I can't imagine it would be that complicated, but you never know.

I really like how they add visibility on my fellow club members' bikes that I ordered a pair. I also use Skene Design's P3 brake lights that increase brake light visibility tremendously. Thumbs up on Skene products. I plan on installing both the P3 and Photon Blaster on my second bike as well.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I recently installed Skene P3 lights on my GS and feel compelled to put in a plug for their customer service. I had a question about the install and compatibility with my existing Brake! light, so sent an email at 7am. Ten minutes later Jerry had responded with all the info I needed.

I installed and checked the function of the lights (wow, those suckers are attention getters!) then reassembled, only to find the lights had stopped working. I sent Jerry a frustrated email -- reinstalling my Jesse racks was a PITA -- and again he responded, telling me which connection had come undone based on my observations. And he was right!

Jerry knows his products inside and out, and offers top notch customer service!

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by Beemeup View Post
    I like the way these look and they aren't "break the bank" expensive, I just may
    try a set myself. I wonder how they are rigged to a CANBUS system? I can't imagine it would be that complicated, but you never know.
    Because they require so little power, they're compatible with the CANBUS bikes & readily piggy back off existing wiring (+1 on the good instructions). I've seen them installed on many here in BMWBMW land.
    Gene
    Ellicott City, MD
    2007 R1200GS
    1994 K75S (hibernating)

Any idea what the electrical draw is, Photon Blasters compared to Motolights?
    Maria 2009 F650GS
    www.bmwbmw.org

Anyone have the Photon Blasters on an R1200GS? I like the concept, but in the Skene Design gallery the Photon Blasters on the R1200GS don't appear nearly as prominent as on other bikes like the RT.
    2007 K1200LT/Hannigan - Blue
    2012 R1200GS Rallye Edition
    1973 R75/5 Toaster LWB - Black

Photon Blasters on a GS are just as bright as on other bikes. It's difficult to judges the brightness in a photo, as the exposure and angle has a big impact on how the picture turns out.
    The GS photo does look less bright, but this is because of the angle of the camera relative to the 30 degree cone that the Photon Blaster puts out.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Motorcycle Visibility Lighting systems: Can You See Me Now?

Quote Originally Posted by mvscorpio View Post
    Any idea what the electrical draw is, Photon Blasters compared to Motolights?
    Here you go:

Photon Blasters: 0.2 amps
    MotoLights: 5.8 amps (35 watt bulbs), 8.3 amps (50 watt bulbs
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Motorcycle Visibility Lighting systems: Can You See Me Now?

Thanks for your input everybody. I will put a set on my short list of must haves for my new to me R1100RT.
    Mark

Hi gang,

Also a member of Jerry's regional club, I'll give a big thumbs up for both the photon blasters (amber front marker lights) and the P3s (red rear marker & brake lights).

I've got two sets, one for the 1150GS, and one for the Yamaha WR250R. I have definitely received comments from motorists (some bikers, some non-bikers) saying that they notice the lights, and that's the idea!

A couple shots below - can't seem to find any posted pix of the GS on my online account, but here are a couple of the WR

Go Jerry, go!

Paul

LINK: '07 Cross Country Tour!
    LINK: Support the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind