Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of RT to GT

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    *******Yes, you want to be careful during the transition period to observe the feature that the wedge GTs have called "performance"
    I am curious, have we ever seen a real comparison done on a closed course, same rider, to see what the difference in road "performance" actually is? I think what we might find is that the RT may outperform a GT on certain types of courses.

I have never had a situation where I felt my RT lacked "performance". There have been many situations where I have found a need to improve my skills, but until I out grow my RT and start spending a lot of time on closed courses - the performance is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart33 View Post
    I am curious, have we ever seen a real comparison done on a closed course, same rider, to see what the difference in road "performance" actually is? I think what we might find is that the RT may outperform a GT on certain types of courses.

I think that would be a great bet to see, but from the seat of the pants feel of flogging my wife's bike this weekend and then doing the same thing on my GT, i don't see it.

The other thing it is a definate apples to oranges comparison, 4 cylimder water cooled vs twin air/oil cooled, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway would be something great to see.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Getting lost...
    When I bought my '07 RT I really wanted the 1200GT at the time.

Took a few test rides and decided it wasn't a good fit for long distance. The SO was not as comfortable either so we went with the RT.

Test riding the '10 1300GT there was a noticable difference in engine management and shifting. If it wasn't for the teething issues I would have seriously considered it. It would make an awesome solo tourer especially in warmer weather.

It handles differently than the RT. Not better or worse but more like a rocketship with handlebars with a lower center of gravity and obviously more responsive instant throttle much like a rheostat. Just find a gear and wind it up. ASC would be must on this bike, the RT, not so much.

Still in lust...

YES! Thats what we need is a comparison test!
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

YES! Thats what we need is a comparison test!
    I have only had short test rides on GT's (both the 1200 and 1300), there is no doubt about the GT's power and available torque at low RPM's, but I question the thought of improved handling compared to the RT. The wheel base of the GT is longer and it weighs over 10% more than an RT. My "feel" was that the RT's center of gravity is lower. The tighter the corners the more confidence I have with the RT compared to any other bike I have ridden. When I keep my RT in its power band the thrill and performance is definitely there, I like being actively engage in the ride rather than the thought...oh, it doesn't matter what gear I'm in, I can always just twist the throttle, etc..... Horse power is not always king.

Well, I guess my comment would be to repeat a saying by Peter Egan, "It's funner to drive a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". Yes if you feel the handling is better on the RT and can utilize the power band better (and can really wring it out) I can see where you think the RT is the better machine. My position is that in a comparison ride, using the same rider (timed test) who is competent on both machines, the GT is gonna have RT for breakfast.
    Gilly
    Last edited by Gilly; 03-11-2010 at 01:16 AM.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Well, I guess my comment would be to repeat a saying by Peter Egen, "It's funner to drive a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". Yes if you feel the handling is better on the RT and can utilize the power band better (and can really wring it out) I can see where you think the RT is the better machine. My position is that in a comparison ride, using the same rider (timed test) who is competent on both machines, the GT is gonna have RT for breakfast.
    Gilly
    I simply think it may depend on the course, on one extreme there is a course like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in3_aJbpkA0

I simply think it may depend on the course, on one extreme there is a course like this:

I could watch that all day!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Has BMW produced any official use GT's

Great video!
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

May be the Gen 1 GT though.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

HAHaha! AWESOME video!

The clutch

Maybe I'm the only one who finds this important, but I was never able to love the dry clutch in the R series.
    When riding two up, add a stop sign and a little uphill grade, it was a real problem. With the KGT, it's as effortless as the truck with an automatic trany.
    JerryAttrick
    2013 K1600GTL, "Siegfried"
    But Mom, I've never found "well enough".

I had the 90,000+ miles on my old K75, and 7 or 8000 on the GT, I wouldn't say the clutch feel is all that remarkable, they both feel fine to me. No clutch spline lubing to worry about on the GT is a nice thing though. Although I don't know what all the talk is about on the GT about clutch judder? I haven't experienced it. ALTHOUGH I don't think there is a difference between the GT and the K75 so maybe my hands fall asleep and I don't know it
    Last edited by Gilly; 03-12-2010 at 12:01 AM.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606