Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of RT to GT

Comparison of RT to GT

I currently have an 04 RT. I really love the bike but I also love the newer K12GT lines and performance. Any advise as to the transition to the GT from the RT.

The GT seems to have the rider leaning a bit more forward. Complaints, remarks?

And how is passenger comfort?

I'll miss my speakers on my RT as I do not wear a full face helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pparker1024 View Post
    I currently have an 04 RT. I really love the bike but I also love the newer K12GT lines and performance. Any advise as to the transition to the GT from the RT.

*******Yes, you want to be careful during the transition period to observe the feature that the wedge GTs have called "performance".

*********Handlebars are adjustable to suit, there are also adjustment spacers available which perform similar to "bar backs" which will get you more upright, but then you might need a taller windshield.

********Wife says it is fine for her, I did install a backrest though.

********Wear a full face helmet, dah!!!
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

RE: Wear a full face helmet.... Dah...

I do appreciate the comments - all but the last one - and the Dah...

Apparently you don't know what hot and humid is considering you don't live in Florida.

Is there a 2005 model. I can't seem to find any on the market. And was 2006 the change over year?

My wife took a spill on the track at 60 mph, hitting the pavement so hard with the front of her helmet she broke the chinbar on her Arai full-face completely in half. Other than a little bruising (she looked like a racoon for a few days... ), no problems. I would like to suggest that heat and humidity inside a full face helmet are better than grinding your face off while meeting Mr. Pavement...but then again, some people may actually look forward to facial reconstruction...to each their own.

And just for the record, I do live in Florida and won't ride without a full-face helmet.
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.

RK Ryder
    I've ridden in 106F (but not in Florida) and had no complaints about wearing a full face helmet. I wouldn't care what the temps were because you never know when you might do a face plant. However, each to his/her own.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Pparker1024 View Post

I went from an RT to a GT - transition took about a 1/4 mile!

The bike was a perfect fit (for me) - adjustable handlebars and seat

I have an intercom system mounted on the bike which has the speakers in the helment so can't speak to that either

Static balance is very good, transition balance is excellent.

Power - leaves me laughing every time I crank the throttle

Weather protection comparable to RT - imo

Pillion comfort - unknown - ride solo.

If you get a chance test ride one and see - bring your wallet as you will probably end up buying !
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Like it never gets hot or HUMID in Wisconsin. And if you think it pales in comparison to FLA, they DO let us off the leash in WI on occasion, I did ride through Death Valley which was 113 in the shade (not that there was any shade) with a BLACK full faced helmet AND a leather jacket on and did just fine!
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Like it never gets hot or HUMID in Wisconsin. And if you think it pales in comparison to FLA, they DO let us off the leash in WI on occasion, I did ride through Death Valley which was 113 in the shade (not that there was any shade) with a BLACK full faced helmet AND a leather jacket on and did just fine!
    Gilly
    Easy now you started the ball rollin with the remark about the helmet....dah

OP just asked a simple question, no need to get snarky
    09 Hyosung Aquila GV250-08 BMW K1200GT Silver
    80/81 Honda CM/CB 400/450 "Frankensteined Bobber"
    79 Honda CX500 Custom Black -78 Honda GL 1000
    77 Honda CB 125 Sport-77 Suzuki TC 185 "10 speed"

Well, no, he sort of implied that the only place on the planet that is hot and humid is Florida and these conditions never exist in Wisconsin and since I am from Wisconsin well DAH I have no idea what hot and humid is.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Can we get this thread back on track - thanks
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Ahhh, sure.
    I'm sure you can find someplace on the fairing of the GT to mount up some speakers.
    With the windshield up, under most conditions you should be able to hear them just fine, although you may need a larger screen, those are available from the usual sources, Cee Baileys, et al.
    As long as you stick with that 1/2 or 3/4 helmet, you should still be able to imitate the Electraglide and Goldwing pilots on your new GT just fine.

Gilly
    Last edited by Gilly; 03-06-2010 at 02:21 AM.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post

I went from an RT to a GT - transition took about a 1/4 mile!

Power - leaves me laughing every time I crank the throttle
    Hilarious and true!

Reminds me of a story: We had an '04 RT for 2 years (my first street bike). The SO rode with me on some long trips, so she was comfortable on the back and knew the RT really well.

We were apparel shopping at the dealer one day and I talked her into taking the demo KGT out for a spin. Having ridden it before, I knew what to expect, and I knew she had no idea what she was getting in to. Once we got some open road ahead of us and felt like she was settled in, I cracked open the throttle: Surprise! Stopping at the next intersection, I could hear her laughing out loud - cackling, even - inside her helmet. It was hilarious!

It took me almost another year to 'bite the bullet' & move to a KGT. She likes it, but won't ride pillion without a back rest.

- - -

I'm pretty sure the KGT has a longer wheelbase, but it feels like it corners better. Maybe it has a lower center of gravity. The RT always felt high and "flickable" while the GT "hunkers down" and "settles in." It definitely likes to lean, though it is hard for me to drag pegs on either bike. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough!

I'm 6'4" and am "torso tall" - about a 32" inseam. Initially my knees felt a little cramped on the KGT compared to the RT, but I got used to it. I've taken it on several long trips with no cramping issues.

The KGT has a slightly forward riding position, but it's not enough to put strain on the elbows or wrists. It's barely noticeable imo.

No complaints about weather protection, wind noise, or the wind screen, which was the first thing to be replaced on the '04 RT. Come to think of it, my only mods to the KGT have been the addition of a fuse block and a GPS mount.

The K power is really unbelievable. I feel like I'm misbehaving just thinking about riding it. It's a manageable power, too: It responds well to short-shifting, which keeps it in the low-RPM, "riding in a luxury car" range where the bike can be a real kitten. I've never felt like it was getting away from me, but maybe that's because I'm more experienced now than I was on the RT and I definitely keep "respect the power" on the tip of my mind most times. I agree with Semper_Fi: It "leaves me laughing every time I crank the throttle."

Otherwise the bikes are really similar.

I'm really glad I made the switch. I was maintenance-obsessed on the RT, riding around fretting about overheating, stretching throttle body cables, throttle body syncs, and surging. Aside from an occasional lean 'blip' on the KGT (which I think they've solved on the 1300's), I'm very very happy with the bike.

Happy riding!
    '08 K1200GT

Passenger comfort:

The SO says she has more room on the KGT and that it's more comfortable. Her legs aren't cramped (more legroom).

There are "hold on" handles on either side of the seat that don't exist on the '04 RT (there are "handles" behind the seat under the top case on the RT, but they aren't as accessible or nice).

The pillion does ride higher on the KGT, so it may be a little more windy (she has never mentioned it).

The pillion has better forward vision and can see the instrument cluster, including the speedo, which could be good or bad depending on the persons involved... *wink*

...and the KGT has heated seats! I've never used them, but she has and really likes them.
    '08 K1200GT

Quote Originally Posted by timay View Post

I'm pretty sure the KGT has a longer wheelbase, but it feels like it corners better. Maybe it has a lower center of gravity. The RT always felt high and "flickable" while the GT "hunkers down" and "settles in." It definitely likes to lean, though it is hard for me to drag pegs on either bike. Maybe I'm not riding hard enough!
    Nice write up - definately agree on flickable and "hunkers down and settles in"

There is a a half mile long sweeper that if traffic allows I do just that - nothing like railing a corner at 6000 RPM and the bike is asking for more!!!!
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator