Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of RT to GT

Hybrid View

Comparison of RT to GT

I currently have an 04 RT. I really love the bike but I also love the newer K12GT lines and performance. Any advise as to the transition to the GT from the RT.

The GT seems to have the rider leaning a bit more forward. Complaints, remarks?

And how is passenger comfort?

I'll miss my speakers on my RT as I do not wear a full face helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pparker1024 View Post
    I currently have an 04 RT. I really love the bike but I also love the newer K12GT lines and performance. Any advise as to the transition to the GT from the RT.

*******Yes, you want to be careful during the transition period to observe the feature that the wedge GTs have called "performance".

*********Handlebars are adjustable to suit, there are also adjustment spacers available which perform similar to "bar backs" which will get you more upright, but then you might need a taller windshield.

********Wife says it is fine for her, I did install a backrest though.

********Wear a full face helmet, dah!!!
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

RE: Wear a full face helmet.... Dah...

I do appreciate the comments - all but the last one - and the Dah...

Apparently you don't know what hot and humid is considering you don't live in Florida.

Is there a 2005 model. I can't seem to find any on the market. And was 2006 the change over year?

Caribbean Druid
    My wife took a spill on the track at 60 mph, hitting the pavement so hard with the front of her helmet she broke the chinbar on her Arai full-face completely in half. Other than a little bruising (she looked like a racoon for a few days... ), no problems. I would like to suggest that heat and humidity inside a full face helmet are better than grinding your face off while meeting Mr. Pavement...but then again, some people may actually look forward to facial reconstruction...to each their own.

And just for the record, I do live in Florida and won't ride without a full-face helmet.

RK Ryder
    I've ridden in 106F (but not in Florida) and had no complaints about wearing a full face helmet. I wouldn't care what the temps were because you never know when you might do a face plant. However, each to his/her own.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    *******Yes, you want to be careful during the transition period to observe the feature that the wedge GTs have called "performance"
    I am curious, have we ever seen a real comparison done on a closed course, same rider, to see what the difference in road "performance" actually is? I think what we might find is that the RT may outperform a GT on certain types of courses.

I have never had a situation where I felt my RT lacked "performance". There have been many situations where I have found a need to improve my skills, but until I out grow my RT and start spending a lot of time on closed courses - the performance is just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart33 View Post
    I am curious, have we ever seen a real comparison done on a closed course, same rider, to see what the difference in road "performance" actually is? I think what we might find is that the RT may outperform a GT on certain types of courses.

I think that would be a great bet to see, but from the seat of the pants feel of flogging my wife's bike this weekend and then doing the same thing on my GT, i don't see it.

The other thing it is a definate apples to oranges comparison, 4 cylimder water cooled vs twin air/oil cooled, etc, etc, etc.

Anyway would be something great to see.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Getting lost...
    When I bought my '07 RT I really wanted the 1200GT at the time.

Took a few test rides and decided it wasn't a good fit for long distance. The SO was not as comfortable either so we went with the RT.

Test riding the '10 1300GT there was a noticable difference in engine management and shifting. If it wasn't for the teething issues I would have seriously considered it. It would make an awesome solo tourer especially in warmer weather.

It handles differently than the RT. Not better or worse but more like a rocketship with handlebars with a lower center of gravity and obviously more responsive instant throttle much like a rheostat. Just find a gear and wind it up. ASC would be must on this bike, the RT, not so much.

Still in lust...

YES! Thats what we need is a comparison test!
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Pparker1024 View Post

I went from an RT to a GT - transition took about a 1/4 mile!

The bike was a perfect fit (for me) - adjustable handlebars and seat

I have an intercom system mounted on the bike which has the speakers in the helment so can't speak to that either

Static balance is very good, transition balance is excellent.

Power - leaves me laughing every time I crank the throttle

Weather protection comparable to RT - imo

Pillion comfort - unknown - ride solo.

If you get a chance test ride one and see - bring your wallet as you will probably end up buying !
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Like it never gets hot or HUMID in Wisconsin. And if you think it pales in comparison to FLA, they DO let us off the leash in WI on occasion, I did ride through Death Valley which was 113 in the shade (not that there was any shade) with a BLACK full faced helmet AND a leather jacket on and did just fine!
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Trickster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Like it never gets hot or HUMID in Wisconsin. And if you think it pales in comparison to FLA, they DO let us off the leash in WI on occasion, I did ride through Death Valley which was 113 in the shade (not that there was any shade) with a BLACK full faced helmet AND a leather jacket on and did just fine!
    Gilly
    Easy now you started the ball rollin with the remark about the helmet....dah

OP just asked a simple question, no need to get snarky

Well, no, he sort of implied that the only place on the planet that is hot and humid is Florida and these conditions never exist in Wisconsin and since I am from Wisconsin well DAH I have no idea what hot and humid is.
    Gilly
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Can we get this thread back on track - thanks
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator