Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: vacation planning - Maine

Forks, ME. We choose Northern Outdoors Resort with a camp site by the river. Has anyone ever stayed here or heard anythign about it?
    I have never stayed there but I do know they have been there for many years and are well established. The area and campground is popular with the white water rafters. The ride up Rt 201 to the forks along the Kennebec river is nice.
    Mark

Visiting Maine

The coast and eastern Maine are nice but crowded with tourists, do yourself a favor and spend some time riding in the western half of the state where there are not so many tourists. I grew up in Maine and every Sunday during the summer dad would load us up in the car and we would go find one of the fire towers or roads or other projects he worked on in the '30s as part of the CCC. I traveled all around western Maine there are some great roads and great sights. When people think of Maine most of them think of the coast and "Down East" it is a shame because they are missing a huge beautiful part of the state.
    Check the New England Riders site they have some great rides up there.http://www.newenglandriders.org/
    If you are planning to camp the black flies can be vicious. The only thing I remember keeping them away was this stuff http://www.predatorpee.com/old_woodsman.html Old Woodsman Fly Dope There is probably something newer and better now someone up there will probably chime in.
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

Quote Originally Posted by ltljohn View Post
    The coast and eastern Maine are nice but crowded with tourists, do yourself a favor and spend some time riding in the western half of the state where there are not so many tourists. .
    Thanks, John. We definately plan to do that. We normally plan to hit the touristy spots as well as the less populated areas of any place we travel to hoping to get a good feel for the area.

I'm really looking forward to this trip!

From MARS
    I lived in Jonesport, ME for 18 months. When you get above Ellsworth, the tourist thin out considerably. Hwy 1 is pretty boring, but if you take the side roads (they usually loop down to the coast and back up to 1) it adds a lot to the trip. Temperature changes can be quite dramatic as you approach the coast since the water never gets above 55 degrees. I've seen it go from 97 degrees on Hwy 1 to 67 degrees in less than one mile as I approached the coast. Quite refreshing!
    Tom

I could recommend Booth Bay Harbor. Nice and quiet. I stay there in the summer quite a bit. I went probably 4 times last year.

Wow! Just when I was going to ask the same question....

We'll be heading over to Maine from the Gorham area toward the end of June with sights on Bar Harbor and Acadia. Black files and tourists...not sure which will be more plentiful! Then, again, we'll be adding to the tourist swarms. ;-)

Thanks for all the info!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

The Forks

The area around The Forks is beautiful. Definitely "north woods" - big pine trees, hills, rivers, and not much else. The rafting is awesome, especially early season when the runoff is high. A few years ago, I hauled ass back from a 5 week camping trip to Grand Teton/Yellowstone/Sturgis so I could shower, hose off the bike, re-pack, and head to the Forks for a weekend bachelor party/camping/rafting. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by mark from maine View Post
    Forks, ME. We choose Northern Outdoors Resort with a camp site by the river. Has anyone ever stayed here or heard anythign about it?
    I have never stayed there but I do know they have been there for many years and are well established. The area and campground is popular with the white water rafters. The ride up Rt 201 to the forks along the Kennebec river is nice.
    Mark
    G Spot
    '07 R1200RT
    "Get busy living or get busy dying"
    The 'G' Spot: talesfromthegspot.blogspot.com

And the west is nice, too...

It goes without saying: down east is beautiful. The roads are generally good, the scenery is superb, the seafood is amazing, and the riding is - most places - great. The on shore breeze is great on hot days, though it can be cold and foggy.

I second the Owl's Head suggestion. We were there last year for their motorcycle exhibit, and it was jaw-dropping (check their site for date and drop in if possible - it was that good). Stonington and Castine are fantastic - smaller islands with great roads and wonderful, scenic views. The Park Road in Acadia is a must-ride. Be sure to check out the rest of Mt Desert Island, too - Seal Harbor, Southwest Harbor etc are amazing, especially the houses (sorry, the "holy %$#^, that place is a single-family home?!?").

If you have time, don't miss western ME, especially around the NH border. The roads around Bridgton, Harrison, Norway, and Bethel (rt 35, 37, 93) are all superb - heavily wooded, winding between small lakes and hills. Evan's Notch (rte 113) is a slice of heaven - twisty but manageable, beautiful, with a great view of the notch at the top. Avoid 302 as much as possible - it's a big, busy thoroughfare. Bethel has great dining and hotels, as does North Conway. North of there, around Rangely Lakes, is densely wooded and all but empty, with some pretty good (though often rutted) roads.

As noted earlier, watch out for critters of all sizes. And definitely watch out for Smokey, especially on the summer weekends. You're usually fine between towns, but when you see "Entering town of _____, speed limit 25mph" - they mean it. Out of state plates are especially delicious ;->
    G Spot
    '07 R1200RT
    "Get busy living or get busy dying"
    The 'G' Spot: talesfromthegspot.blogspot.com

We just returned from our trip to Maine. What an incredibly beautiful state! We toured the north woods then headed Down East and worked our way south to Boothbay Harbor. The Northern part of the state was definately our favorite. I'm amazed at how fresh and clean the air is!

I'll post a few pictures in the next few days.

I been following post as we have planned a 2 week trip in July, good info provided thanks all. We will start out north for first part then head toward and into Bar Harbor area.

Question on northern lakes: We are staying in Moosehead lake area for a few days, planning on riding up to Eagle lake. Aside from all dirt roads I understand some roads are subject to closure by private logging copanies. Has anyone any expeirence with riding in Eagle lake area or determining road closures on "logging roads" that seem to be in the way of point a and b.

thanks
    Ron
    GSA/09

Ron,

We rode through the area around Moosehead Lake and didn't experience any road closures. There are a lot of logging trucks on the road tho. Sometimes, that is all you will pass for miles.

The roads themselves are not always in the best condition. While there was no extreme damage, there was alot of roads that were heaved (I think that's the right term) after the winter snow and ice. Nothing serious - just not ultra smooth.

Here is a link to our pictures for those interested.

Snapfish - Maine Vacation Pics

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronccr View Post
    I been following post as we have planned a 2 week trip in July, good info provided thanks all. We will start out north for first part then head toward and into Bar Harbor area.

Question on northern lakes: We are staying in Moosehead lake area for a few days, planning on riding up to Eagle lake. Aside from all dirt roads I understand some roads are subject to closure by private logging copanies. Has anyone any expeirence with riding in Eagle lake area or determining road closures on "logging roads" that seem to be in the way of point a and b.
    Get a copy of Delorme's Maine Atlas and Gazetteer. It is, by far, the most comprehensive map set available. As to private logging roads, they're well-posted telling you to keep the hell off of them.

The area around Bar Harbor is crazy-congested in July and August, but if you get up and out with the sun, you have the roads to yourself for the first 4 or 5 hours of the day on MDI.

Here you go an hour after sunrise last August on Park Loop Rd. Later in the day, the right lane is all parked cars.

Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Heading down east a week from today, with it being 100 degrees in DC I can't wait! I've been looking forward to this view for months now
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

thanks! I just ordered atlas and the pics were cool!

I was hoping to take a tour to Eagle lake and back from Greenville / Moosehead lake, maybe around lake. I'll have to do more research on roads or just wing it when there. Hopefully the Atlas helps. I also have an outside chance to meet up with a friend at Baxter park, if so I'll park bike there and hope in their truck for day. I am assuming rangers will have no issue parking bike by entrance somewhere.

I am at a semi cross road, wife rides but not enough expeirence for GS type of riding which limits the dirt roads 2 up. I do go for solo rides for few hours to entuire day. My wife is a outdoors person and expert rower so she has no issue keeping busy. Maybe I'll get lucky and meet up with other GS riders there, who knows.

Thanks again all.

PS: I know the tri-stae area extreamly well and live outside NYC, litterly 10's of thousands miles rode, if local info is needed just ask.

safe riding

Ron
    GSA/09

If anyone is traveling East of Ellsworth, Maine be sure to ride Route 182 between Franklin and Cherryfield. Hills, linked turns, lakes on one side and ledge outcropping on the other. One of my favorite roads in the area.

Oh, and the pavement is in such good condition that I temporarily think I am riding in some other state. Stay off route 200 heading north out of Franklin or you will be quickly reminded that you are indeed riding in the State of Maine.

Mark