Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: vacation planning - Maine

Talking Ride Maine Guide

One other resource for anyone who is planning a motorcycle vacation to Maine is the Ride Maine Guide. It breaks down what's good on a region by region basis and may be handy in finding what you need. It offers a calendar of events too, mostly Harley stuff, but worth a look anyway, The Owl's Head Transportation Museum Vintage Weekend in September is not to be missed and one of the most extensive vintage BMW Collections in the USA is at Dave Percival's in Andover Maine. http://www.ridemaine.net/ http://www.bfbrawnphotography.com/DP...torsports.html

If you are in Maine on the first Saturday of the month, please come to our BMW Riders of Southern Maine breakfast meeting, we love guests and there's no better place to find out about riding in Maine than from the locals! Check it out at:

http://www.bmwrsm.org/

Have a safe trip in Maine! Don
    Last edited by Beemeup; 06-26-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add info

thanks all, great info.

Last ME question, what route is recomended from bar Harbor to Mt. Washington and will plan on staying the night in MT. Washington area.

I will be taking the northern route through Averill , VT to Moosehead lake via rt16 and considering smaller roads from The forkes to Greenville. I'll review the recomended maps I ordered.

Sorry on timing, I would have enjoyed the ME Saturday breakfast.

Safe Riding

Ron
    GSA/09

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronccr View Post
    thanks all, great info.

Last ME question, what route is recomended from bar Harbor to Mt. Washington and will plan on staying the night in MT. Washington area.
    Rte 2 is not a bad ride across Maine, especially the western part.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Brett
    Rt 2 in Maine is great and Acadia is a must been there five times but the single greatest day I spent in Maine is when I was refused access on a motorcycle (because there dangerous) to Baxter State Park. The person at the gate pointed me back a mile from the gate to a little road that led to the "Golden Highway" a logging road out of Canada. Again bikes are not allowed on that road but the State Police do not patrol it so I went anyway. This road was packed with Moose, big bull Moose that walked almost right by you like they didn't care. The only concern were the big trucks double wide and double long that did not budge for my bike at all, you just pulled over closed your eyes and hoped they did not hit you. Anyway that's my two cents on Maine. Love it alot!

Quote Originally Posted by ronccr View Post
    {snip}...will plan on staying the night in MT. Washington area...{snip}
    If you want to pamper yourself in the Mt. Washington area, I highly recommend the Attitash Grand Summit Hotel in Bartlett, NH. It's about 45 minutes south of Mt. Washington on Rt. 302.

Tell them "Theo" from MINIs On Top recommended you call!

Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

If you are looking for less pampering, I recommend N. Woodstock, NH as a place to stay near Mt. Washington.

Specifically, the Autumn Breeze motel. It's family owned, very clean, modern rooms with kitchenettes for around $75 per night. It's also only a short walk to the Woodstock Station Brew Pub/Restaurant. We've been to the brew pub on each trip through the area and stayed at the Autumn Breeze a few weeks ago.

www.autmnbreezemotel.com

Also, don't forget to stop at Fadden's General Store for maple syrup and chat up the owner, Jimmy. (Tell him the BMW couple from Delaware sent you.) The Faddens also own Peg's restaurant a few doors down and it's a great place for an early breakfast.

If you are going to Mt. Washington, don't miss Bear Notch Road which intersects with the Kancamangus Highway near Conway, NH.

While I admit it doesn't look like much on mapquest, it was an awsome ride! Nice sweeps, a few good twisties, no traffic and freshly paved!

Quote Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
    If you are going to Mt. Washington, don't miss Bear Notch Road...{snip}
    Oh YES! By all means! Had a chance to do Bear Notch 8 times last weekend. Just watch out in the last mile or so at either end. Houses and camps and kids, oh my!
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i