Thread: Dual sport instruction?

Dual sport instruction?

I'm looking for recommendations on off road training relevant to dual sport riding (Mike's excellent post is noted - I don't want to hijack that thread). It's been over 30 years since I was bashing around in the woods and both bike and rider are heavier and less nimble now. I'm not planning to cross the Sahara, but do want to gain confidence on those loose soft surfaces. Some good DVD material out there but an instructor should be valuable at first? Numerous advertisements in ON and others but I'd like feedback from those of you who have fist hand experience. If I can find something in the South Central part of the country so much the better!

Thanks!
    Talmadge Wright
    '12 R1200 GSA
    '14 R nine T

WE will have it;

Come to the Redmond Rally this July and you'll find this, but I know you're in Texas, so ride on up. There will be lots of GS activities, from learning the basics to beyond, for three days, during the rally. Welcome...Happy Trails, Randy PS; Your question about your area? I'm sorry, I do not know your options for close to home, BUT Paul Glaves and Voni live in that region and MAY know? Find'em, as they are regular posters here at the forum..

Stayin' Safe in the Smokies

Pete Tamblyn of Stayin' Safe runs a clinic in the mountains of N. Georgia -- he's lived in the area for some time and knows the forest services roads very well. He's one of the most experienced riders I've met and is a great instructor.

http://www.stayinsafe.com/program4.phpttp://
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Dual Sport instruction

Might try this too, http://www.dirtbikeschool.com/Default.aspx. Don't know if there's one in your area but there isa link on the site to find local classes.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

The BMW offroad training school is excellent according to the people I know who have done their classes. There is Jimmy Lewis doing his classes as well as Neduro's classes and DVD's to get you going. http://dualsportriding.com/index.php?id=724
    I don't have his dvd's but they are good!!

Check out the MSF Dirt Bike School. An MSF Instructor friend of mine is thinking about running a program in my back yard for GS riders, perhaps they will allow you to use your bike where you are.

Amazon.com has their DVDs on sale about the training. Disclaimer : I have not seen them.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Dual Sport instruction

I got the dual sport riding DVD from http://dualsportriding.com/index.php?id=724 and find it very helpful. There are even instrutions you can print out and take with you to practice. There is a link on the MOA website to order the DVD. Watch the popup ad for the discount code and you can save 10% when you order.
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Try Aerostitch too;

They have two DVDs for sale at their website and catalog, for just this purpose at home. Randy

Rally Rat
    Shane Watts course if you want to get really serious on a dirt weapon.

He has a instructional DVD called Dirt Wise, the instruction is geared to enduro / woods riding but the skills you learn are applicable to riding a GS.

My daughter and I took his course in person, it was a blast! We both rode off road bikes.