Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MEXICO: Wanna go?

Quote Originally Posted by markgoodrich View Post
    This gig is about to start, Monday. I've created a blog for them that wants to follow along vicariously:

http://patossentados.blogspot.com/
    I have to agree with Jim I rode Mex.. 3 years in a row with my other half and never had a problem. We rode as far south as acapulco, if I spelled it right then satyed in Zhuantenjo for about a week . This was in 1992,93,94 and everyone I told I was going said we never make it back alive, well I guess we did. I will say we were a little more careful
    Have fun wish I was going Tim

Hey, Amigos, WE ARE OUTTA HERE in an hour!

Won't be updating this, so go here:

http://patossentados.blogspot.com/

"Subscribe by Email" in the upper left corner of the blog so you can get updates, such as yesterday's impromptu tech day/Texanese lessons, etc. Pics will go onto the Travelblogue

Many updates on the patossentados.com blog. There's been attrition due to health issues, planned exits towards Panama, and one guy needing to visit friends in Mexico City (plus a Harley dealership).

We've had way more fun than a body should be allowed.

My 5/19/10 Lexington Herald paper-KY- had an article yesterday that mostly revolves around the 0ver 10,000 cargo hijackings in Mexico last year. Also mentioned are more than a few highway robberys of motorists.
    As a guy that loves to travel in Mexico (and doesn't respond to many outcrys of the danger in travel down there that have been overblown in the past) I Googled "cargo thefts in the USA" for comparison. There were 859 last year which obviously pales in comparison. My past readings have caused me to worry mostly about Guatemala as to hwy robbery for a biker.

My research into all the murders of Americans in Mexico indicted a murder rate approximating that of Providence, R. I., and with the vast majority clustered in border towns. The statistics can push you to alarm, no doubt, but they are often misleading. If the cargo thefts were plotted on a map I wonder if most would be on the the border???

We encountered zero problems, never so much as anything other than an interested look at our bikes. The father/son team that traveled on to Panama stayed several days in Guatemala without incident, complained about large bribes at the Honduran borders, but otherwise had been having a grand time, again without incident.

Of course, now that I've said this, you will have your head chopped off ten minutes after crossing the border, right after you get robbed by a gang of kids disguised as chicle salesmen.

We can talk ourselves out of just about anything....

Hey, I'm the guy that DOES GO! to Mexico. The cargo thing is NOT just a border problem and thats one reason it caught my eye. No, I have never had a problem there -except for my bike being tipped over in Zimipan one evening , while in a restaurant. MotoTours go to that same town, but I think they stay out at a place in the country.
    I am currently reading "Dreaming of Jupiter", Ted Simon's book of his second world trip@ age 69/70 and he mentions the exceptionally high murder rate in Oaxaca . I spent a week there(lived with Mexican family) and had zero sense of danger and walked around late @ night,etc.. One night, eg., I was sitting in a square, where ice cream makers gather and sell @ tables. I was with a Mexican family that I met in Dominos off the Zocolo and (@ their families Ice cream place) and the Governor of Oaxaca walked by, with his wife on a stroll and out for a treat. I would think he knows where to hang out,etc..I am of the opinion that he(Ted Simon & the Gov. too) is/are literate and fairly reliable person/s , so they probably know what he was saying. His book is in the time frame of 2001 as he writes. As to govt. warnings, they have a tendency to be taken with a "grain of salt" for me.
    In the area where I live, people feel immune to much of what ails our USA crimewise, but as one that worked in prisons and has much experience in juvenile justice, it is a fact that there in no place in the USA that is free from the effects of drug stuff.Sure, there are "high crime" areas, but good to know where it is worse.
    As one with a practiced eye for "bad" , I see it lots in Mexico and here in USA too. Also good to say, that we must live our lives and move on, but is OK too, to talk about this issue , so we learn where it is safer/safest and so on.