Thread: BMW Motorrad Canada Summerfest

Hybrid View

Rally Rat

BMW Motorrad Canada Summerfest

With Redmond being a bit out of reach for many in Ontario due to time and distance, I expect to see a larger contingent at Summerfest.
    It will be my first time as I usually go to MOA Rally, but not this year
    Any insights ? > worthwhile ?, local lodging ?, area riding ?
    Thanks

RK Ryder
    But Jim, Redmond is a little bit past the Great Lakes.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Rally Rat

Summerfest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    But Jim, Redmond is a little bit past the Great Lakes.
    Went to Wyomimg in 2008 - Redmond is more than "a little past" the Great Lakes....

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfastcar View Post
    Went to Wyomimg in 2008 - Redmond is more than "a little past" the Great Lakes....
    not for Paul I think. For one of the crew that navigated the eight mile ride over freshly graded gravel to Meat Cove (at the Salty Fog Riders Rally 2009) ....... Redmond is a cakewalk. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

SGRIMSON

Redmond not too far...

I remember deciding to go to the Prineville Rally about 35 years ago and getting all the stuff that I was going to take out and giving it the once over. It wasn't until that moment that I opened my new Map of Canada to plot it out. I looked at Toronto, then the furthest North I had ever been, (Espanola) and then looked across the rest of the map. My heart sank with doubt and fear. I knew bupkiss about mechanical stuff, and having graduated from Law school the year before was well trained for almost nothing. I'd only had the bike for a few months of riding the summer before.
    But I had a BMW so I figured I had no excuses. They never break down as long as you do some minor maintenance. After about two days of huge distances we crossed the Ontario border. I saw a BMW bike coming my way as we both crossed a bridge, him coming from the other direction. I yelled "Are you going to the rally?" at him. I was so out of it with excitement it hadn't even dawned on me how crazy big this country is. After fabulous days and nights and some wild weather I got to the Rally and felt somehow at home away from home. I've never forgotten that trip and the level of focus it brought out in me. They bike never did let me down, although I did finally relent and buy a windshield in LA for the ride home. The wind and elements were too much without one. I was losing my mind at times from the exhaustion. When I read about some of the others in the MOA I'm truly impressed at their toughness and dedication.
    The bottom line is get to the farthest rally you can get to in the time you have. It's all about the riding isn't it?

Rally Rat

Rally

Quote Originally Posted by sgrimson View Post
    I remember deciding to go to the Prineville Rally about 35 years ago and getting all the stuff that I was going to take out and giving it the once over. It wasn't until that moment that I opened my new Map of Canada to plot it out. I looked at Toronto, then the furthest North I had ever been, (Espanola) and then looked across the rest of the map. My heart sank with doubt and fear. I knew bupkiss about mechanical stuff, and having graduated from Law school the year before was well trained for almost nothing. I'd only had the bike for a few months of riding the summer before.
    But I had a BMW so I figured I had no excuses. They never break down as long as you do some minor maintenance. After about two days of huge distances we crossed the Ontario border. I saw a BMW bike coming my way as we both crossed a bridge, him coming from the other direction. I yelled "Are you going to the rally?" at him. I was so out of it with excitement it hadn't even dawned on me how crazy big this country is. After fabulous days and nights and some wild weather I got to the Rally and felt somehow at home away from home. I've never forgotten that trip and the level of focus it brought out in me. They bike never did let me down, although I did finally relent and buy a windshield in LA for the ride home. The wind and elements were too much without one. I was losing my mind at times from the exhaustion. When I read about some of the others in the MOA I'm truly impressed at their toughness and dedication.
    The bottom line is get to the farthest rally you can get to in the time you have. It's all about the riding isn't it?
    Thanks for this, you are right to ut it in perspective...

RK Ryder
    Good morning Jim. The advantage of being an old guy, is that I have no deadlines for my return trips.

If I had only a two week holiday, Redmond would seem to be much further away and possibly one for me to skip. I have adapted well to retirement.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

With Redmond being a bit out of reach for many in Ontario due to time and distance, I expect to see a larger contingent at Summerfest.
    It will be my first time as I usually go to MOA Rally, but not this year
    Any insights ? > worthwhile ?, local lodging ?, area riding ?
    Thanks
    worthwhile....very much
    local lodging....on site portable housing
    area riding....mostly straight but pleasant roads

bit like a mini-mini rally. Good way to spend a weekend, expect it to rain at least one day!