Thread: Rear Brake Flange Failure(s)?

Clay

Question Rear Brake Flange Failure(s)?

Reading about this over on the ADVenture site..any validity to this?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552346

decided to put this on this subforum 'cause it appears to affect a multitude of bikes be it a K and/or R bike..

Regards,

Clay
    Kimberton,Pa.

yes, as mentioned over there it happens.

Had one on an '05 model cause the brakes to pulse like the warped front rotor issues some had. Front rotor runout was OK. Finally saw the cracks widen to 1/8"+ and was replaced under warranty. I have not heard or seen of any on later models...I look at a lot of them for my own mental survey. Seems prety random & rare.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

As I mentioned over there it's cheaper to replace the flange than it is to replace the rear rotor using OEM parts. The hardest part of the replacement for me was finding a large enough pin wrench to remove the snap ring. My repair described here.

Great "How to" Marc!

I have not used a balance puller in many years...but I got one somewhere Hopefully I have seen my first and last one( we have three candidates, two more of '05 vintage )

The cracks in mine were way uglier at replacement, this was about two years ago . I still believe it is a rare occurence...'specially since it hasn't been brought up by a member in some time and none of the bikes I have surveyed the past few years has any sign of cracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait