Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Touring Underwear

Hybrid View

Touring Underwear

I've seen ads for undershirts, socks and skivs purporting to wick away perspiration and resist odors better than cotton, which should make them good for motorcycle touring. Has anyone tried these? Do they live up to the hype?

Probably belongs in the "gear" section.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

I bought some shorts from LD Comfort at the rally in TN and found them very comfortable for a long day on the bike.
    Dan

Geeser
    +1 for LD Comfort shorts

and for DeFeet socks and Under Armour t shirts
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

RTFlyer
    As above, I've heard good things about the LD comfort.

I almost always wear a compression shirt under anything year 'round when riding. I have the super thin type which are great for wicking moisture and they make a real difference on hot days. I have the waffle type for colder weather which blocks the wind and makes a great base layer. I also wear compression shorts under my gear occasionally too, and it definitely helps to prevent hot spots and monkey butt during long days in the saddle. It all can be washed out in a sink and is ready to go the next morning.

I am a big fan of the gel-padded bicycle shorts from REI, they do a great job wicking moisture away and just being very comfortable. My best luck touring with them has been to bring two or three pairs along and wash them (in the sink, they dry out fast) each night.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Another fan of bicycle riding shorts and Gold Bond powder. You have a selection of padding as well as gel, which I find hot, just me. Also some with antimicrobial fabric or chamois (I have never tried it) There are some stores such as Academy Sports and Outdoors that sell them very inexpensively ($25.00 to $30.00) for those of us that are frugal

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    I bought some shorts from LD Comfort at the rally in TN and found them very comfortable for a long day on the bike.
    Especially the "roo" pocket.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Wear Underwear???
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Motorcycleton
    More comments on this subject, including thoughts on the LD Comfort Dry-Line shorts, can be found on the Horizons Unlimited website -

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...cts-best-25570

Here is a link to the LD Comfort website -
    http://www.ldcomfort.com/

At the Johnson City Rally last summer I looked at the LD Comfort dry-line shorts. As I recall the price was in the $40 - $50 range. The shorts looked quite similar to some compression shorts that I purchased at Walmart for $10. I've ridden all day using the compression shorts beneath mesh pants and been comfortable in the hot humid summer.

More on the compression shorts, available at Walmart, here -
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Starter-Me...horts/11026733

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Wear Underwear???
    No, not in bed where I have always been a "naturist"? On a bike , yes for certain-don't you sweat?

golfguy
    LD shorts & SmartWool socks.
    Don't leave home without them!

Additionally, after the towel, place them on a chair back in the stream of the airflow from the HVAC unit. The airflow (whether AC or heat) will help dry things, including socks, fast!
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Tilley, who make the travel clothing, have items that are great for motorcycle touring.

The coolmax briefs wick moisture and will be dry by morning if you wash them in the sink at night.

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...productNo=TU29

These socks work the same way:

http://www.tilley.com/detail.asp?cat...roductNo=TA800

This stuff is great as you can take a long trip with only one change of underwear and socks, washing and switching it out each day. Saves a lot of space.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Two years ago I bought two pairs of the LD shorts and two similar type of shirts from Wal-mart. I wear these under a First Gear Meshtex outfit. I was very satisfied with the combo.

I wore only one pair of the shorts washing them out in the sink at night & doing what I had to to get them into the airflow of the motel HVAC to dry. Typically they were not totally dry until i drove off & the airflow did the rest without any discomfort.

I'd recommend one pair of the shorts and one pair of the ankle length tights over my choice of two pair of shorts.

Ill bet that one of those H2W open mesh bags would be just the ticket for alternating days with these garments.