Thread: Fuseblocks which are best?

Fuseblocks which are best?

Due to a high amount of farkelization in the offseason, I now need to properly organize the wiring jungle that has been created.
    Which if any is the better brand for a canbus bike(08 GT)?
    Touratech,Centech,Painless,etc.?
    A lot to choose from, where to purchase from and how much is fair$?

Thanks,
    Rick

Rick,

I use the Centech AP1 and have been very happy with it. Simple, straight forward and does the job. No problems what so ever with the Canbus. You can swap out the blade fuses if you want to increase/decrease circuit protection depending on what's hooked up.

Check out Semper Fi's installation information at http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43031. I mounted mine under the rear seat. I'll try and shoot a picture in the next day or so and post it up.

Good luck!

Please ride safely.

Peter

I like the Centech blocks as well. I did wire mine differently though. I like all of my electrical items to be powered up all the time, so I wired mine so all circuits work independently from the ignition switch. I have three outlets on the bike in addition to the BMW factory plug. Also have the Zumo and I ran the leads for the battery tender through the Centech also.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

thanks guys.
    so far 2-0 centech

Fuzeblock

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Little bit bigger than the Centec, but the relay is built into the unit, and of the six fused circuits, you can choose how many are to be switched, and how many unswitched (Centec is one or the other, not both...unless they have a new one).

Piece of cake to install, too.

Link to BMW ON article:

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/docs/Fuzeb...A-Magazine.pdf
    Too damn many bikes to list

Yup, thats what I like, fuzeblock, smart setup.
    Thanks

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I have a Fuzeblock FZ1, but after a year am upgrading to the Eastern Beaver PC8. I liked the FZ1, but the limitation of 10A per circuit max just doesn't meet my needs, so it will soon be listed in the Parts marketplace.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains

Fuzeblock Simple to install - one very complete easy to use package.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    I have a Fuzeblock FZ1, but after a year am upgrading to the Eastern Beaver PC8. I liked the FZ1, but the limitation of 10A per circuit max just doesn't meet my needs, so it will soon be listed in the Parts marketplace.
    Good point on that - that is why I went and have used the Centech from the begining.

Your actuall usage needs will dictate the model you want to use.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Limitation of 10 amps? What would a motorcyclist add that draws more than 10 amps?
    Click here.

I am an Eastern Beaver guy!

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Limitation of 10 amps? What would a motorcyclist add that draws more than 10 amps?
    I looked into the amps available from the various models, and there is a finite limit that many don't consider.
    As to 10 amps, I think you might get there with full Gerbings, gloves, jacket, and legs. But then you could use two circuits. One mistake often made is to use too high a fuse value. The higher the fuse rating, the more likely that you could have a meltdown instead of blow a fuse. For example, BMW used to fuse the heated grip circuit with a 10 amp fuse. And when the grips shorted (entirely possible) they would not draw 10 amps if the switch was on low...and the wiring would heat up and melt itself and more. They went to 4 amps on the later, fused, bikes.
    So in my mind, 10 amps is enough considering what the fuze is there for.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I looked into the amps available from the various models, and there is a finite limit that many don't consider.
    As to 10 amps, I think you might get there with full Gerbings, gloves, jacket, and legs. But then you could use two circuits. One mistake often made is to use too high a fuse value. The higher the fuse rating, the more likely that you could have a meltdown instead of blow a fuse. For example, BMW used to fuse the heated grip circuit with a 10 amp fuse. And when the grips shorted (entirely possible) they would not draw 10 amps if the switch was on low...and the wiring would heat up and melt itself and more. They went to 4 amps on the later, fused, bikes.
    So in my mind, 10 amps is enough considering what the fuze is there for.
    Exactly! Good explanation. With six circuits there would more fused protection than the alternator could deliver.
    Click here.

Getting lost...
    I have a Fuzeblock too and happy with it but like any electrical device it has it's limitations.

The built-in relay makes it handy and the available switched and unswitched circuits convenient.

Each circuit can handle 10 amps but the entire unit can only manage 30 amps max.

For low power draw requirements it works well. For higher output consider using and external relay with the device connected directly to the battery.

I have Motolights that are setup this way but are triggered with an Autoswitch connected to the Fuzeblock. The switched circuit is triggered by the rear accessory connector. When the ZFE shuts off the power the Fuzeblock relay is de-energized along with all switched circuits.
    2007 R1200RT
    1999 R1100RA

Quote Originally Posted by Toadmanor View Post
    I am an Eastern Beaver guy!

3cs-complete_0365.jpg

Should be all you need - and you need it all.
    Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain