Thread: trailer ball hitch for bikes?

hmaxwell

trailer ball hitch for bikes?

after being a HD rider for >35 years, I bought my first BMW this past November, a 2005 K1200GT. I really want a GS but that is next. Im planning on a trip X country and wish to pull my Kayak, loaded with camping and flyfishing gear. Any suggestions about trailer hitches?

If you put a ball hitch on your bike you want to put one of the swiveling couplers on your trailer tongue. That way if you drop the bike it won't bend the crap out of your hitch.
    Dauntless and several other places sell them.
    Tom
    Salem Or.
    '93 K1100LT w/Bushtec
    '03 F650CS '09 F650GS

Caribbean Druid
    I've towed a couple of different Bushtec trailers behind Gold Wings over the years, but I can't offer any advice on trailer hitching a GT. Bushtec doesn't carry a hitch specifically for the GT...I checked their website at http://www.bushtecmotorcycletrailers.com , but you could get in touch with them and see what they say. They probably know more about motorcycle hitches than anyone. I'd love to see a pic of your GT with the kayak behind it! I
    Last edited by dwestly; 02-18-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Trickster
    As I understand it, not possible due to frame and single sided swing arm setup.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridealot View Post
    If you put a ball hitch on your bike you want to put one of the swiveling couplers on your trailer tongue. That way if you drop the bike it won't bend the crap out of your hitch.
    Dauntless and several other places sell them.
    +1 , call Jay at Dauntless http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/ they specialize in sidecars, hitches and various modifications. May not be practical for you unless you are currently on the left coast. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

there is one listed on the Dauntles site but it is made down under. there is another one made by Uni Go

Trickster
    Quote Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
    As I understand it, not possible due to frame and single sided swing arm setup.
    Sorry did not see you had a 05 GT, yes possible, Newer Generation GT, have seen nothing available.....yet

Quote Originally Posted by super8mm View Post
    there is one listed on the Dauntles site but it is made down under. there is another one made by Uni Go
    our trailer was made 'down under' and now has about 30,000 miles on it. Had a wheel bearing problem at about 20,000 miles but easily resolved. Dauntless did that excellent work while we were traveling through the area. I am sure that whatever you get from Dauntless will be in excellent mechanical condition. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Classic Industries Trialer hitches

Check out theis web-site:

http://www.classicind.com.au/cgi-bin/newlist.cgi

they make a hitch for a 05 GT. Model TB31.

Classic Industries

Address: 9-13 Harvest Road Yandina Queensland 4561 Australia

Phone: +61 7 5472 7266

Facsimile: +61 7 5472 7299

Email: info@classicind.com.au

2006 gt

Classic Industries also makes hitches for 06-10 GT's. I had one for three years and itÔÇÖs a great hitch. Hal

A general note to consider: if you do get a one wheel trailer as opposed to a two wheel, be very aware of the twisting forces exerted on the hitch and the need to align it perfectly with the bike's rear wheel. If the hitch flexes then the tendency to wobble exists for the one wheel. A few other considerations but those are basic. The one from Classic Industries looks like a bit weak for those twisting forces. Two wheel is a different critter with their own set of considerations. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com